News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Color of garb

Started by Mairte, July 10, 2010, 04:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mairte

How did you decide on color? There are a couple of colors I LOVE that just arent attractive on my person! :-\
I have a choice right now of a darker blue, brown or green. I am at a loss what to choose with my skin tone.
Anyone else ever had this happen and how did you resolve it? (Sigh. I have to get off my behind and decide within a couple of weeks.)

auntiegiggles

My latest garb I choose the color to go with a riding hat that I already own.  Otherwise i usually choose based on design over color.    I think color is easy to determine - but its much harder for me to find a nice pattern on the fabric.  I usually spend a day hunting for the right fabric.  Hope that helps  ;D
Everything goes better with giggles

Mairte

I usually have a much easier time choosing style than color.(Weird, I know.) At least I know the colors that definitely WONT work (reds, yellows, pastel colors).
Everyone is encouraging me to go with the forest green. I dont wear a lot of green (except the darkest greens) so I am in a quandry.
Ack. I worry about the silliest things sometimes! :D

Scribe_Wear

Normally i just try and find a style i like then look for that with a color i like but i mostly stick with darker colors of black, brown, and green
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.

gem

Oh, that's tough!  I usually go with what "speaks" to me, or seems to coordinate with other pieces I own. But I understand: this is how I ended up with a sage green silk chemise, before realizing sage green is not a great color on me.

Skirts are a good place for colors that don't suit you as well. I look dreadful in gold, but I have a gold skirt that's far enough away from my face that you can't tell.

Dinobabe

The thing I like best is that I can go with colors I wouldn't normally wear.  Patterns, too.  Of course there are always colors you avoid and that is the best place to start (by avoiding them! :D ).  But use this opportunity to go with colors you may be iffy on but were always curious about.  You can use the less attractive colors (that you love) for the blouse or forepart, items that show little.  Have fun! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

isabelladangelo

I go with reds (including pink!), blacks, and purples normally because I look interesting in other colors.   I look downright scary in some blues and fine in others but I never have an issue with reds/pinks.  Purples I can get away with and I never have a problem with black.  It's more of a "hold this up and see if it clashes with your skin tone" more than anything else.   I'm sure there is some scientific way to figure out if you are a "winter" "spring" "autumn" or "summer" but, really, it comes down to trial and error.   No matter what, you can always dye it black and wear a lot of pretty colored gems!

ArielCallista

I never have issues figuring out color...usually once i draw out the design the colors come flying at me...if not I go wander around the fabric stores looking at and feeling everything...usually at least one fabric jumps out at me as being perfect for whats in my head garment wise...then everything falls into place from there...as to what goes good with that fabric...for me this never fails...touching all the fabrics and getting a feel for them...Also making everything match your hat, bodice, boots...whatever you have that is your favorite and want to wear nearly all the time...its a good idea to make more stuff that goes with that...Also whatever colors you look good in, like to wear etc in everyday life can usually quite easily bleed over into my garb
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Lady Rebecca

In some cases, as I'm designing things, I have a color scheme in mind. However, it seems that lately, more often than not, my color scheme depends on what I can find onsale, especially sales on red-tag fabrics.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The colors of the House of Olmsted are Blacks, Reds, and Golds in some design or another. This way, we do not conflict with Royalty at faires. Though suitable to be part of any Court.

My suggestion is to go with colors you look best in. The designs and possibiitiea are endless.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Queen Bonnie

Colors are very important to me. I love the yellow / orange colors but do have black and a soft moss green too. When I could not find the colors I liked for my Summer cotton gauze garb- I dyed the fabric.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Mairte

I googled one of those "skin tone" thingies online and it still didnt help a whole lot,lol. I am a spring or an autumn.(Shrug)
I am just going to go with the green. The blue is too dark and the brown is too drab looking. Process of elimination. :D

LadyFae

I go with whatever "speaks to me" (same as Gem said.)  I will hunt and debate for ages trying to figure out exactly what I like best.  I surprised myself by picking out YELLOW for my newest gown but I loved the subtle pattern and how it looked with the wine that I found to accent it.  I always love the pinks but before the forums I didn't think that PINK was H/A!  Now I know better and I have BIG plans for my next gown. =) 
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Mairte

If I was going to make my costume I would have an easier time choosing color? Since I am getting this outfit pre-made I just have a choice of the three.(as stated, going with green.)
I AM going to start working on picking out another style and color for the next gown/outfit and going to attempt to hand make that one or possibly pay someone else to do it to my specifications.
Looking around on here, there are so many beautiful gowns! :) You are all very talented!

LadyFae

I would have chosen the green as well, Mairte!  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"