News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Truck Camper Camping?

Started by batninja, July 20, 2010, 04:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batninja

TRF is getting close, so I thought I'd start steering my posts and discussions into the camping realm.  And besides, I got tired of seeing 'Potty Potty Potty' be the top thread in the forum.  :)

Although it's not camping in the purist sense, I was thinking of purchasing a truck camper in the near future.  Does anyone else have one?  Pros?  Cons?

I'm thinking of getting a popup style truck camper, since those are generally lighter, and have less drag.
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

Lady Rochelle

I have a pop up camper and I love it , however I think I will be tent camping it, the comfort is there but I feel like Im missing something .... But yeah, It is def great to have a bathroom of my own and a roof over my head in the rain, lol.
Let the games begin !

dfloyd888

Make sure you can get replacement tent canvas, as from what I hear, the stuff only lasts 1-2 seasons at most until it starts ripping.

batninja

This is the one I'm seriously considering, the Bronco B800 by Palomino:

http://www.cheyennecampingcenter.com/TC800

Lady Rochelle

Well I will tell ya what, you go ahead and get it and I will be happy to try it out for you so I can let you know if it going to work for you :)
Let the games begin !

dragongirl

I have never encountered a pop-up truck camper myself but they appear to have the same restrictions as most turck campers, not enough living space.  Granted I'm spoiled as I was raised camping in a 28Ft RV that slept 6 comfortable and had a full back bathroom. 
Now I tent it and I have 2 tents.  One is my mundane tent from Wally's World which cannot keep out a drizzle and the other is my heavey canvas Viking Wedge tent which just stood up to tornado like conditions (the news words not mine).  Personally If I do get a camper of my own I'm just going to get a Teardrop.  Light easy to move and tow, and is basicly a bed in a box.  Since I do most of my living outdoors while camping anyway, this is perfect.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

batninja

My main motivation is to be able to 'up and go' to Festival multiple times during the season without having to do much prep-work (airing out tents, multiple box inventories) or onsite setup (pitching tents, blowing up air mattresses).  With a camper, I can load it onto the truck Thursday night, and leave for Festival right after work.  The great thing would be my 'camping footprint'; I wouldn't need to land-grab.  So even if I get onsite late, all I need is a place to park:)

Or so the thinking goes...

batninja

Uh oh...

Did some further 'shopping' and now I'm leaning back toward the pull-behind idea.  Now I'm looking at this one:

I'm actually looking at the 14 RB version, slightly different than the one pictured.  It has a toilet and shower, for the same price as a truck topper camper!

http://www.kz-rv.com/sportsmen_classic/2011_14RB.html

Lady Rochelle

I looked at these . loved them but the only thing that i was not thrilled with is i want a table and a bed, this style only had one that converted. But that may just be a girl thing, lol
Let the games begin !

crashbot

Quote from: batninja on July 26, 2010, 09:37:07 PM
This is the one I'm seriously considering, the Bronco B800 by Palomino:

http://www.cheyennecampingcenter.com/TC800

My folks had a camper similar to that many years ago , I spent an entire summer in it when I did a road trip before going into the Army. Was great for 3 or 4 people.
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

Woodland Artisan

Each has their own good and bad points but just for shear room ... I'd go with the pull-behind.   I have an 18' one that's plenty of space for me ... actually more than enough but I also use it for family camping, too.  Used to have a truck topper for a lot of years but there's just not enoug space in there for the money.  For those times when I don't want to take the pull-behind, I'd leave the truck topper and just go with the truck shell with some mods for insulation and a sleeping platform in there.  A good tarp setup extending out the back for a table (cooking, etc.) and it's ideal (and cheap).

Of course, having a pull-behind can be a pain to drive, get gas, park, repair, upkeep, etc. but if I'm needing more space or an air conditioner .... that's the way I go.

Prof. John Bull

I have recently purchased a pull-behind and am extremely pleased with it.  The main advantage of truck campers over pull-behinds is the off-road capability, though with smaller truck campers you can also pretend you're just a car and park in places where a trailer might be problematic (though in practice I have found that I can part the trailer anywhere except extremely congested areas where you have to pay for parking).

A fact to consider is that truck campers can be problematic to load, unload, and store.  It is not uncommon for people to have a jack pull away as a result of loading or unloading improperly, causing thousands of dollars of damage. 

batninja

Quote from: Lady Rochelle on August 01, 2010, 12:30:13 PM
I looked at these . loved them but the only thing that i was not thrilled with is i want a table and a bed, this style only had one that converted. But that may just be a girl thing, lol

I thought about that, too, and I complete agree (great minds!).  However, as it mostly just be me and one other, I thought I'd leave the dinette in semi-permanent 'bed-mode' and bring along a fold-up table for the couch area. What'd I'd really like to find is one with a queen-size bed and a simple 2-person dinette.  I don't need the whole family-style dinette that seems to be so prominent in most campers, regardless of size.

dfloyd888

Quote from: batninja on August 01, 2010, 10:39:10 AM
Uh oh...

Did some further 'shopping' and now I'm leaning back toward the pull-behind idea.  Now I'm looking at this one:

I'm actually looking at the 14 RB version, slightly different than the one pictured.  It has a toilet and shower, for the same price as a truck topper camper!

http://www.kz-rv.com/sportsmen_classic/2011_14RB.html

That rocks.  I like the size of that trailer because it is small enough to be easily handled and parked, but it is big enough to have a shower, bathroom, kitchen, and a decent bed.  A nice compromise of size is http://www.kz-rv.com/sportsmen_classic/2011_16BH.html.

I see very few small RVs that are cleverly designed.  These seem to be one of those.

Rowan MacD

I started with a semi pup up like the truck camper shown, graduated to a 24' Jayco Bunkhouse model then moved on to a 28' Starcraft Toybox.   
   The biggest restriction (and expense) on what you get will be the vehicle you will need to pull the trailer or load the camper on.  If you can afford a good truck, go for it, if not, err on the side of a smaller unit.   
   You can get away with towing the tent-on-a-trailer (true pop up) with a midsized SUV but forget about a trailer.  Read the specs for your vehicle and make sure you don't buy an RV that is more than what your truck/SUV can handle.  For most towing functions you will need to beef up the towing package,  a bumper hitch will not be enough.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt