News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Truck Camper Camping?

Started by batninja, July 20, 2010, 04:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloyd888

I looked at this.  Here are the lessons I learned while shopping for a travel trailer:

If a travel trailer person says your vehicle can "get by" even though the trailer's GVWR is higher than your tow vehicle's rating, run.

Don't use a bumper hitch.  Get a real frame hitch.  Reason?  You need that tongue length away from the back of your vehicle so you can turn the trailer at a sharper angle.  Otherwise, it will tear up your bumper.

Make sure to hit a locksmith and get your trailer's locks (door locks and such) rekeyed.  The reason is that some trailer makers use the same key where one key fits all models.  It also doesn't hurt to have two axle locks and a secondary one on the tongue of the trailer.  Especially if it will be parked in the same area for a while.

If you can, find LP gas appliances.  The more stuff that runs on LP gas, the better, as you don't have to have a generator on.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: dfloyd888 on August 03, 2010, 09:09:19 PM
I looked at this.  Here are the lessons I learned while shopping for a travel trailer:
If a travel trailer person says your vehicle can "get by" even though the trailer's GVWR is higher than your tow vehicle's rating, run.
Don't use a bumper hitch.  Get a real frame hitch.  Reason?  You need that tongue length away from the back of your vehicle so you can turn the trailer at a sharper angle.  Otherwise, it will tear up your bumper.
Make sure to hit a locksmith and get your trailer's locks (door locks and such) rekeyed.  The reason is that some trailer makers use the same key where one key fits all models.  It also doesn't hurt to have two axle locks and a secondary one on the tongue of the trailer.  Especially if it will be parked in the same area for a while.
If you can, find LP gas appliances.  The more stuff that runs on LP gas, the better, as you don't have to have a generator on.
I figured the salesperson would try to sell you a unit too big for the tow vehicle,  I have never been shopping for an RV yet that they haven't tried that tactic.  Sucks.  The practice is rampant and just amazes me that someone hasn't tried to sue yet.  It's not like the car dealer who sells you more car than you need,  this guy is selling you something that he knows will cause your truck to self destruct.   >:(   As a buyer you are on your own.
   To those who are shopping for an RV:
  If you have any doubt that your truck can pull/carry the load, call your local car dealer.  The guy in service will tell you what's what. He gets to fix the damage, and he is just as mad about it as you would be.
  Good point about re-keying.  JayCo doesn't do that, but I can see where some of the others would. Hitch locks are absolutely needed.  
  LP appliances are great for when you don't have electrical hookups, particularly the fridge.  ;D
  A lot of folks don't realize the 'other' expenses involved.  Bumper hitches are good for exactly squat.   I think they install them so people can hang ornaments from them.  Unless your truck is brand new I wouldn't trust the bumper hitch to take anything close to what the book says, if your truck is used or a few years old, the mounts could be rusted or compromised from a previous accident or overloading.  Not worth a liability lawsuit should your RV part company in traffic.
 If you don't already have a tow package on your truck you will need that.
 Here's a good link:

http://www.specialtyhitch.com/index.cfm?event=pageview&contentPieceID=1824#bumperstyles

U-haul charges about $700+ to purchase and install a complete after market frame receiver type tow kit.   I don't recall if that includes electrical hook up kit for the lights and RV battery recharge while you drive.  Weight distribution (WD) and sway kits are extra, and you need those for larger trailers, as well as a trailer brake package.  
  If your truck has to have all the above done before you tow, you are looking at 1500-2000 out of pocket expenses to just get your vehicle ready.  On top of the purchase price of the RV.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

batninja

This is excellent information, you guys!  Definitely thing I'll need to consider before the purchase.  I'll need the frame hitch for certain.  Now I miss my old V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.   :(
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

dfloyd888

I E-mailed kz-rv.com and asked about replacement tent fabric for recent models.  They can ship extra pieces if you buy one of models with a slide-out tent bed, so if it gets torn up or mildewed, the fabric is easily replaced.

Just a random piece of info.  The guy was VERY nice in my E-mail, so I might be considering a trailer from these guys, once my finances settle down a bit.