News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Studded leather coat / quilted gambeson

Started by Sir Kentaslas, July 24, 2010, 04:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Kentaslas

Alright so the Faire is comin' to town in a few months, which still leaves time to make my own bad-weed puller costume.
However, my friends and I have decided to hold back on the costume, especially on account of weather. To see what I mean, either come to Texas, or read my post in the heat-stroke avoidance thread. <- major kudos to whoever posted that. Last year the ambulance took a guy who got heat exhaustion. 'Course he was wearing like...12 layers of heavy-duty quilted linen. But still I felt sorry for the guy. The village council then held an emergency meeting to re-elect a village elder. LOL
But I digress.
Anyway, after watching the King Arthur movie (the one with Clive Owen), and playing Mount and Blade (best PC game ever), I have decided to wear regular everyday clothes but with a surcoat over it. Again, I would do the whole get-up, but the heat makes it unbearable. Down here, it's like 85-90 degrees year-round. With humidity at about the same or slightly higher. I've since then changed my mind. I've decided instead to go with a studded leather coat similar to this:
Link: http://www.elessarsrealm.com/fallenknights/coppermine/albums/promotional/stills/normal_Dagonet_promo.jpg
One of my friends wants to make a quilted gambeson similar to the one seen underneath the brigandine.
Link: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/Brigfront.jpg
He however wants it done in black, with silver thread for the diamond stitching. He also wants it to be longer, like a surcoat, with short sleeves, zipper up the front (like a jacket), with the zipper hidden by a fold-over flap that Velcro's over it, thus hiding the zipper. He also has an appliqué of a dragon that he already made that he wants to slap on there on the upper left chest area.

my question is, do any of y'all known where I can find good patterns that will make these turn out good, and arent too hard to do?

Rani Zemirah

Sorry, but your first link doesn't seem to be working.  I was really looking forward to seeing the leather surcoat...  :(
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Sir Kentaslas

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on July 24, 2010, 05:13:47 PM
Sorry, but your first link doesn't seem to be working.  I was really looking forward to seeing the leather surcoat...  :(

Its more of a vest really, but it still looks awesome. I'll probably still end up making it surcoat-length.

Just Randall

Just a thought,but you might get better responses by posting this in the sewing thread. Just sayin'. ;D
Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

Sir Kentaslas

Quote from: captfletcher on July 24, 2010, 10:20:01 PM
Just a thought,but you might get better responses by posting this in the sewing thread. Just sayin'. ;D

I figured that but wasnt sure, I'll move it tommorow. Right now time to ZZZzzz...

DeadBishop

R/F.com member since 2003