News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cool New Sewing Toy

Started by Dinobabe, July 25, 2010, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

Well not sewing exactly.
I bought a Knifty Knitter at Wally World yesterday and it is so cool.  I made a hair scarf (1hr), a hat (2hrs), and am now working on a full scarf.  I've always wanted to learn to knit and this is a really easy way to do it.  The website has all kinds of projects on it and I look forward to trying them! ;D

Anyone else have one of these things?
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rani Zemirah

Oh, I have that set, also!  Two, actually, since I found one set at a yard sale for $5.  My daughter and I both love it, and we use it all fall and winter long!  I even have the long straight one that will make flat scarves/panels, and have been thinking about making a patchwork afgan this year.  I have the yarn for it, and now all I'm waiting for is cooler weather.  They're fun and easy to use, and I still enjoy mine after having it for over 5 years! I should check out their website so I can learn how to make different things, though, because everyone in my family has matching hat and scarf sets already...  LOL 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LadyShadow

Oh I have been wanting to buy one.  But didnt want to be the first one to try it out.  Thank you for sharing.  I think I might have to buy it now.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Dinobabe

It is super easy!
The website has instructions for hats, scarves, shawls, blankets, stuffed animals, booties (not just for babies!), pillows, mittens, sweaters, bags, and even cell phone totes!  But the patterns are posted by users, not the company, so some of the instructions are poorly written.

I did 15" of my scarf throughout the day today and it took a total of 2.5 hrs.  Makes you appreciate the scarf that costs $20 at the store!  But it will make for great gifts.

Rani- do you have the round or long loom set or both?
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rani Zemirah

I have two sets of the round, with all four sizes, and I also have one of the long ones, which makes scarves that are double the thickness of the tube shaped ones.  The long one is only a single loom that I bought separately, though, instead of a set, although I've seen the set.  I enjoy all of them, and I'm going to check out the patterns for other things!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

bookwench

I love my Knifty Knitter! I've made quite a few hats and scarves so far.  I haven't yet tried making anything more advanced, but I have bought a few pattern books so I can try when I have time. 
"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -G. Radner

Lady Christina de Pond

i used mine to make pants ;D yep fuzzy pants (makes great pants liners in the winter)used lions brand yarn and the medium sized hoop and made pants legs then took the larger one and didn't close the circle did it twice and stiched them together added the legs stitched them together and added yarn draw string to keep em up
also created a friend of mine a matching hat and scarf set for her birthday one year
also created a hat and matching warmer i usually wear the hat and then the warmer over it becaus it fits over the back of the hat and covers my nose and i don't have to worry about rewrapping

i have one also simular that is a serenity loom but i'm run into a snag on the poncho i'm creating since i'm not sure about how to replace the broken pegs and i'm afraid to break anymore.
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

FortuneRose

I have one of the long straight ones.  LOVE IT...  I've had it for...oh....4 years now.  I have a scarf in any color you could possibly want or imagine...  along with my sisters and mother.  LOL.  My MIL hasn't been kind enough to receive one yet!   :P
LLVW

Rani Zemirah

Lady C, those pants sound pretty genius!  I'd love to see a picture of them!!! 

FortuneRose, here's hoping that your MIL sweetens up soon and inspires you to create a bit more... or, if not, I at least hope that you get the urge to make something fun again soon! 

I've got all sorts of yarn that I keep finding on sale for $1-2 per skein, and I need to start using some of it soon before I'm burried in it, but I have so many projects on hold right now that I feel like I'm not finishing anything lately, so I'd better not start anything else for a while...  ::)  I will try and get a few pics up of some of the things I've done once I get them all unpacked, though.  (I've been using that excuse since we moved...  :-\ )
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Christina de Pond

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on July 27, 2010, 03:58:35 PM
Lady C, those pants sound pretty genius!  I'd love to see a picture of them!!! 

FortuneRose, here's hoping that your MIL sweetens up soon and inspires you to create a bit more... or, if not, I at least hope that you get the urge to make something fun again soon! 

I've got all sorts of yarn that I keep finding on sale for $1-2 per skein, and I need to start using some of it soon before I'm burried in it, but I have so many projects on hold right now that I feel like I'm not finishing anything lately, so I'd better not start anything else for a while...  ::)  I will try and get a few pics up of some of the things I've done once I get them all unpacked, though.  (I've been using that excuse since we moved...  :-\ )

i will get a picture of those pants soon for you rani i got the idea from a scarf of mine it's a blue fuzzy thing and much like the ones you make with these looms but i was looking at it one day and decided to put it on my leg and see how it felt i thought hmmm you know it might be nice to have a pair of fuzzy pants for when it's cold so i created me a pair.

i have tons of yarn i keep saying i'm going to cut myself off and not let myself purchase anymore until i use it all but i know when i get to Peru I'll bring home a few bags ;D
Lady Ashley of De Coals

LadyStitch

The local craft section of Walmart was cleaning out very old stock.  My mother walked out of walmart with a shopping cart full.  $40 worth of yarn at 10cents a piece!  EVERYONE got afgans that year.

The Pink pirate told me I can't start any more projects until I finish 2 UFO's (UnFinished Objects).  It's worked...somewhat.  ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Lady Christina de Pond

mmmm no new projects until i fininsh some ufo's sound like and idea just which project to start with ;D ;D
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

That sounds cool!

I crochet! This winter, I will be working on Baby stuff for a new grandchild of mine coming the end of March to early April 2011.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

JoAnn has the Nifty Knitter and accessories on sale (25% off) through August 14.  :D

Dinobabe

Just finished my first scarf/hat!  Scarf took 6hrs, hat took 2hrs.  I got faster as I went, though, so the next set shouldn't take as long.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com