News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cool New Sewing Toy

Started by Dinobabe, July 25, 2010, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Christina de Pond

i don't hold mine still i move mine constantly
when i'm putting thread on it i hold it on the side and turn it as i go around
then i turn it around as i pull the yarn over and then pressing the yarn down i turn it as well i'm pretty effiencent at it.
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

RenRobin

I made a back pack out of my large round loom.  Found the pattern on-line as a free loom pattern, I use it a faire to carry my crap in.

Lady R, would love the pattern to the flowers if you will share.
Loki-terr (in training)

Dinobabe

So I just went out and bought the long loom kit and more yarn!  $15 at JoAnns.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rani Zemirah

I hope you had a coupon for it!  ;) 

Robin, I made a bag also, and lined it with a terrycloth hand towel.  I  just sewed the towel into a tube, stitched across one end, then sewed the bottom corners together instead of gathering it, so that it would have a flat bottom, attached both pieces with matching yarn, made a long strap that I threaded through grommets in the top of the towel and attached both ends to the bottom of the bag so it can be worn as a backpack or carried as a sling bag.  Wish I could find it to take pics...  ::)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Dinobabe

It was 25% off, regular $20.  It has four pieces.  I looked at the single pieces and some were almost the same price, each!

So I am now in love with the long loom!  I started a scarf last night and it took me half the time to get half way through the length I want.  Because of the style of weave it is also a lot thicker with a single strand.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rani Zemirah

The results from that double sided method is pretty lush, isn't it?!?  You can also make baby blankets and such by using the single sided method on first one side and then the other, and not closing it off on one end to make the tube, but reversing direction when you get to the end, instead. 

I've made scarves with that one using eyelash yarn, and they're gorgeous, but that stuff sheds worse than a long haired cat!!!  I have a bunch of suede yarn I got from Hobby Lobby for $1 per skein on clearance that are going to become hats and scarves this year, and now I'm really looking forward to when I'll have some free time for knitting!  LOL
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rani Zemirah

Oh... WOW!!!  That.. is.. AWESOME, Robin!!!  I never even thought of anything like that, but now I'm suddenly overflowing with ideas for using that bottom weave pattern for all sorts of things!  ;D  I'm going to use it tonight, in fact, and I already have a different sort of project in mind!  I'll post pics if it turns out like I'm imagining...  Thanks soooo much for that link!!!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

gem

Ok, so all you Nifty Knitters *talk* a big game, but where are the PHOTOS of your projects, hmmmmm?   ;)

Lady Rosalind

I left my camera at work last night, which is why I have no pics, yet, of my scarf that I finished last night!

All knitting is on hold while I work on my latest rush project (red carpet gown, squeeeee!!!!!!)...

But I will post scarf pics tonight. I am also planning on fingerless mitts to match, and possibly even a hat!

RenRobin

Found these instructions for the flowers ladies.  I know what I am going to be making.  I will try to snap a picture of my pack and a smaller version I use to keep my favors in at faire.

http://www.knitting-and.com/small-looms/daisy-wheel.htm
Loki-terr (in training)

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: gem on August 04, 2010, 02:13:17 PM
Ok, so all you Nifty Knitters *talk* a big game, but where are the PHOTOS of your projects, hmmmmm?   ;)

Ok, just a couple of shots, because I'm still unpacking (never-ending story, I know, but you should see all the stuff I'm having to find places for, and it's ALL stuff I use, so I can't even store most of it!!!), and I couldn't find the scarves.  They're in whatever bag I stuffed all the winter things in while I was packing, and that's under a mountain in the laundry room...  :-\

My version of Jayne's hat (from Firefly) minus the flaps (still haven't decided if I'm gonna add them or not):

Both sets of looms plus the long loom, the few hats I could find, and samples of the Lion Suede yarn I'll be using next, in Olive and Spice colors (I have 4 skeins of each), and also some of the Sage Green Sugar'n Cream all cotton yarn (also 4 skeins) that I'm planning to use next:  (edit: Oh, and the small blue loom has an experimental project on it for the fingerless wrist warmers/long gloves using crochet thread.

Jayne's hat on the hat form. Please excuse the purple strands from the eyelash yarn... it sheds (and I've got lots and lots of it still to be used...) :-\  :

I've also got two plastic storage bins (48 qt size) full of various shades, weights and types of yarn to use this winter, and a couple of paper grocery sacks, as well, and my daughter has asked if she can use the long loom to make herself a patchwork afgan... I think I'll show her how to make the flowers, also, and she can add them to her blanket!  
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Rosalind

RenRobin

Loki-terr (in training)

Rani Zemirah

Wow... there is an endless stream of flower loom videos after that one!  I even watched one that made flowers out of plastic grocery bags!!!  :o  How amazing...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede