News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Overdoing it?

Started by Doberman, July 27, 2010, 01:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue66669

LOL KoE... you call that venting???

*oiyvey*
Blaidd Drwg

LadyFae

ROFLOL!  I was thinking the same thing, Blue!  =D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

angusmacinnes

I believe that is the nicest vent I have ever seen.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Mairte

I believe in to each his/her own as well. If someone likes their "look" so be it, it is one of the least things I would worry about.

Blue66669

I can't say anything, I'm terribly tacky. I have things dripping off of things which then have pockets for their things. This year is going to be worse, as I'll be carrying a mini torture chamber as well as many different alchemical devices and potions. Oh, and lets not forget the live leeches...

Blaidd Drwg

Zardoz

Quote from: Doberman on July 27, 2010, 01:21:15 AM
  • Do you really want your chest or hat to look like a 5-star general's dress uniform with row after row of favors & pins & doodads?

OK, I know this isn't from faire but I was reminded of this picture.
    I used to have about 20 pounds of pins and patches and crap on that vest! I would carry it in my bike, but only drag it out for certain stuff because it was too heavy to wear all day!

• It's a scientifically proven fact that there's a point where strapping as many weapons as possible onto your body stops being cool.  That point is age 14.

I'm with you on that one, but for a practical reason, I just don't want to carry the weight anymore!

I think I've gone the direction of my garb getting simpler as time goes on, I've got it down to where it's actually more comfortable than my mundanes most of the time! Best advice ?  Wear what makes you happy, and don't worry about what makes anybody else happy!

"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

As the saying goes here in Minnesota..."It could have been worse!"  ;D
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

bellevivre

the way I see it, my outfits are still evolving, and always will. I had, for a brief amt of time, an awesome (and lamented!) walking stick. It fit me, my hand, it was awesome- and due to my own lack of foresight, it now graces someone elses garb (or it got chopped into firewood, who knows) Point is, in hindsight, it was waaay too hard to manage it AND a basket AND my camera!

I dont always carry a basket- sometimes I wish I didnt- it's heavy! but then, what should I do with my camera, and my purchases (hee hee, and flasks!)? sometimes I wear these items on my belt, sometimes i dont.

when I'm Sidhe, I wear jingle bells- all faieries make noise!

I wish i had more favors- I envy people with huge favor sashes, because those are people who really know they have a lot of friends in the community.

So do I sometimes end up with too much stuff on/about me?  You bet!

Do I sometimes wish I hd brought MORE stuff with me? ABSOLUTELY!

but no one can answer the question expocept you.

So, to the OP i say- wear what makes you happy, and we'll so the same- lol just dont ask me to carry anything for you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Athena

• Should you perhaps either buy stock in the Acme Jangly Bell Company, or just consider paring back the one-woman bells-only symphony caused by your every movement?

Nah, I'd buy stock in the Griffin Works (if they were public), even though they do leatherwork. They make the most beautiful oak leaves in autumn colors with bells attached that can be hung from one's belt. I just got my third one last weekend to add to my symphony.  ;)
    A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Dinobabe

We all go through phases of garb just like phases in life.  We change, grow, expand our knowledge, mature, and add to our character. 
    My Bronco II had several stickers on it.  I wouldn't put a sticker on my new truck to save my life!  I changed. 
    My first garb was simple peasant and I didn't want anything else.  Now I have peasant, middle, noble, pirate, and gypsy.  I changed.
    Personally I could never dye my hair.  I know some girls that change the color 1-3 times a year.  It drives me crazy because I think natural color is always better.  But am I going to say that to them?  NO!!  They are my friend and will always have my respect because they are doing what makes them feel good.
    A person's garb tells a story about them.  We should respect that!

Did we scare him off? :P
    Natasha McCallister
    Bristol Faire 1988-2005
    The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
    59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
    midsouthrenfaire.com

raevyncait

in all honesty, I would much rather see someone with belt/sash/whatever full of favors, tools, weapons, bells, whatever makes them happy than to see the 300lb person showing 90% of their skin.

Personally, I have streamlined my belt by carrying a basket to hold some of my stuff, and am down to a few strings of bells, a couple of pouches, a fan, and my mug/mugstrap.  I wear what I wear because it makes ME happy to wear it, not to please anyone else. As a customer in a booth, I do my best to ensure that nothing on my belt, person, or basket is going to catch on things in the shoppe and cause damage. As a member of the audience of a show, I do my best to ensure that my tiny bells don't detract from the show.

Doug, I have never met you, unless you worked the Grichel's booth at Scarborough Faire, but as much as I LOVE the Grichels (and I have a pouch and a hair thing, PLUS have personally taken at least a dozen people to the booth, and eventually, EVERY one of them purchased something from the booth), the fact that you ranted as you did on this forum, in my opinion, reflects quite poorly on you AND Grichels, as you appear to represent them as well since your signature shows:
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

Grichels indentured servant.
    Raevyn
    IWG 3450
    The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
    Wench @ Large #2
    Resident Scottish Gypsy
    Royal Aromatherapist

Taffy Saltwater

What it boils down to is:  fair, for those of us who are entry-paying patrons, is escapism.   When it stops being fun, people will stop going, and the fair will close due to the lack of gate-paying patrons. 

Wet blankets should be discarded as they will inevitably mildew and stink up the joint.
    Sveethot!

Imestra

Rarely do I feel so compelled to post.
    In the effort to respond to the original post.....
    Am I in the minority in that I much prefer to see people not go overboard with their outfits and (probably even more so) their accessories?  You may very well be in the minority amongst playtrons.  What I prefer don't enter into it.
    If you enjoy your look, more power to you.  Don't let my comments dissuade you in any way.  After all, your own enjoyment is why you're doing it.  :)

But, let them perhaps cause you to reflect a moment and ponder:

• Do you really want your chest or hat to look like a 5-star general's dress uniform with row after row of favors & pins & doodads? I LOVE seeing the "4-Star General", and checking all the decor & schtuff, there are so many stories to hear from these folks!
    • Is everything (and the kitchen sink) hanging offa your belt actually adding to the effect of your outfit, or is much of it there because the combination of "That looks sorta neat" and "I've still got 2 inches of bare leather on my belt" is too powerful for you to resist?  May not pass the garb Nazis, but way easier than carrying as I walk the faire for eight hours.    

• It's a scientifically proven fact that there's a point where strapping as many weapons as possible onto your body stops being cool.  That point is age 14. What he said, Dragonlord, I mean, that was funny!

• Are you comfortable with having more ornaments hanging from your walking staff than most people have on their Christmas trees? Oh, how droll.  I find myself unable to respond with anything aproaching civility, and so, cannot

• Should you perhaps either buy stock in the Acme Jangly Bell Company, or just consider paring back the one-woman bells-only symphony caused by your every movement?  How sad that this seems to offend so greatly.  The fae sounds are attractive to my senses.

Now I'm sorry if anyone reading this resembles these remarks a little too closely, but I've watched more than one costume morph over the years from something striking & effective into a (sorry, there's no other way to put it) gaudy mess as the wearer kept adding bits & pieces.  I know that as a purveyor of many things that people like to adorn their garb with, I may be biting the hand that feeds (well, not me since I'm not allowed to eat, but the bosses at least) but I'd love to see some restraint.  There's a point where you go from looking classy & well put together with accessories that complement your outfit, to the Vegas Strip.  We should all, from time to time, take a look at ourselves in the mirror and ascertain which side of the line we're on.

Am I alone here?  Anyone else like to see some subtlety and restraint in garbing?  Any pitfalls to watch out for that I missed?

There is one pitfall that concerns me, and that is the quest for complete H/A, which is far too uncomfortable for my taste.
    We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars

Rowan MacD

Dinobabe pretty much said it for me.  Ditto.

Athena-I want an Oakleaf....

I wear bells on one ankle (not loud ones) and I like to jingle.  

Wizards should always over-accessorize, as should gypsies,  it just looks right (to me anyway.)

The only things garb-wise I really object to can be found in the 'thing that make you want eye bleach'  thread.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
    IWG wench #3139 
    19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Valiss

Are you talking about people's garb who work at faire, or the general paying public who show up wearing whatever?  Because there is a huge difference in expectation between the two in my experience.