News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I heard....

Started by violetdprey, June 03, 2008, 02:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

violetdprey

So I heard that Jim might be banning the hiring of workers with tattoos?  Anyone know anything about this?

renniechica

I just got a FRANTIC phone cal from one of my friends about this....

She said a bunch of people that were headed out to work at this faire are stuck .No Dreads. No unnatural hair color . No visibal tattoos . No unusual piercings. He says the locals aren't comming to the Faire because of these things.???  I wonder how they will like all of these former employees wandering about thier town jobless????I wonder if the Equal opp. Employment people have any thing to say about this???

DRenaissanceGuy

I have not heard anything to this effect and there are several people on cast with unnatural hair color and pricings and tattoos. Rumors are that... they're not truths.

Ginger

The place I work we can't have unnatural hair colors, and some of my friends who work at other places have had to take out earrings. We also have to have skirts below the ankle and can't have belly shirts. I haven't heard anything about tattoos.
Practice safe eating habits, use condiments!

DRenaissanceGuy

Un-natural hair color must be covered by a hat or changed, non-period piercings must be taking out (Things like industrials and so on, you must have period style piercings and jewelry), however clear retainers are allowed. Nothing about tattoos.

renniechica

The dread thing (I do not have dreads) I don't understand. AND yes this was said to some one I know personally who called the office today.  A hat , You can make some one wear a hat, fine.  Some people ARE infact Rasta and thier Locks are part of thier religion. They are not all just young kids who do it for thier  'style'
   I have traveled for over 18 years all over the country doing Faires. I have been through REC take overs and new owners ect. Bo Purple except for the queen yadda yadda yadda But I feel that The Decree of what can and can't be was always given with enough time to do something about it (i.e. not finding out on your way there or once you arrived.) Months in Advance so that people can make the decision t go or find somewhere else to go ...

Tanda

I love arbitrary rules like no non-natural hair colors. Natural to whom? Mandrills come in blue, I should get to as well.

No unusual piercings....unusual to whom? My grandfather nearly had a heart attack when I got my second hole in my ears.

On a side note, this is not new. The rules and regs from 2006 state that "management feels that abnormally dyed hair(such as pink, blue, orange, and other colors not found in nature) is unacceptable in the marketplace" and that "head coverings (hats, etc) will be MANDATORY during Festival hours and all facial piercings must be removed during Festival days. As well, tattoos must be covered." on page 3; also "No visual body piercing will be allowed except 1 pair of pierced earrings. All tatoos [sic] must be covered." and "No un-ordinary haircuts or hair colors are acceptable" on page 5. 

So, it may be newly enforced, but this is not a new concept.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

renniechica

most of the other things are standard at MOST shows but inforced differently..

The dread thing (I do not have dreads) I don't understand. AND yes this was said to some one I know personally who called the office today.  A hat , You can make some one wear a hat, fine.  Some people ARE infact Rasta and thier Locks are part of thier religion. They are not all just young kids who do it for thier  'style'

Is what I don't get?

violetdprey

I just think it is annoying. I mean, I can understand like overly tattooed and such... but some of mine are appropriate to the period. they of course can be covered. but it makes me feel bad for people, that get here, or are on their way here, to find that they cannot work now.

a_chromatic_sea

I agree about it being a little bit annoying - I just got my nose pierced for my 20th birthday in March and have to get a clear retainer for it for work at CoRF - but totally understandable. A lot of jobs don't allow you to have any visible tattoos, facial piercings, or more than one or two piercings in each ear anyway, so yeah.

Yes, there were people with a lot of piercings and tattoos during the period we use at CoRF. However, they were extremely few and far between, so yeah...

Meh! I'll just deal!

MistressKate

I've been on the phone with some people who are talking about going to the media or attempting to get pro bono lawyers because of this.

Adriana Rose

Oh for Pete's sake! that is getting ridiculous!

This has the sounds of a romour so just chill until the PTB say something about it!

Spinaka

All of you can not be serious about this are you? I mean they are trying to portray a certain time period here and face it, unless you were very very foreign/exotic you did not have tattoos. There was no such thing really. Even though henna has been around since 400 BC it wasn't used during this time period in the society we re-inact. It was only really found in Africa, Asia and India.

I can understand people getting upset it is this close to the start of it and to find out so late in the game. But it has been in the handbook for years. Someone also said that they know of people on the cast with tats, piercing, and died hair. Well we are contracted to cover all of it up or take it out. I have tats 5 and an industrial. but I take it out and cover up the tats. We are required to wear hats just like everyone else.

But people can be serious about taking this to lawyers or something right? Dreds were not really around either unless you were a dirty pirate or gypsy.

The fact is that the fair has a right to enforce these rules and regulations. Its not discriminatory or otherwise. They have a business to run. And if you don't comply with the rules and regulations then they have the right to not employ you. Colorado is an at will employment.

Aislynn

We had to hide our tattoos last year, I don't think this is any change.

Demetrius

This is weird, I tried to go to a dred/tattoo festival dressed in ren garb and they kicked me out...

Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...