News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I heard....

Started by violetdprey, June 03, 2008, 02:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoë

I have been told the same thing every year, but I have never had it enforced on me personally, and I've had higher ups stand right next to me with everything in plain sight.  Of course, then again I'm not covered in tattoos or facial piercings, but I do have a tattoo that is visible in my garb, (Though not anymore now that my hair is longer) plus I have 12 ear piercings, 1 of which is rather unconventional.  I think it's really not going to be any bigger of a deal than it ever has been in the past.  Let the rumor mill spin until you hear it yourself from upper management.  Until then, don't worry about it so much. 
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Adriana Rose

See until there is an offcial take on the news lets not get our bloomers in a twist!

Mischief Snicklebritches

So.....I just wrote and deleted a HUGE post on this. You all should thank me...it wasn't very nice.

Plain and simple...its been the rules forever....its probably not going to be a big deal, like always, Mr. Paradise isnt stupid, half the people he employs are people of this nature....and without them...im pretty sure he'd be in a bit of a bind this close to opening. so chill out. I too have been reprimanded on my tattoos showing....by Betty who was told by Mr. Paradise to tell me to cover it up.....and I still have a job folks. There's no need to stress. Unless you have tattoos top to tail, you should be able to reasonably cover them up. I have 4, Spinaka has 5, the Princess has 7...*shrug* not hard.

And lawyers......really? *shakes head in shame* if everyone did this about their jobs...there wouldnt be any room to put murderers and rapists on trial. Most mundane jobs wont allow facial piercings or visible tattoos...what makes Renaissance Festivals any different? Spinaka is right, tattoos and piercings werent even invented in the period we are portraying...so really, Mr Paradise has the right of things.

Anway....that's all I'll say before this turns into another long rant.
*steps off soap box*
How do I know I haven't missed it?!...what if it WAS the chicken!

Adriana Rose

I think I love you!! :-*

you just said every thing that I could not think of but wanted to

Tanda

Quote from: Demetrius on June 03, 2008, 11:43:32 PM
This is weird, I tried to go to a dred/tattoo festival dressed in ren garb and they kicked me out...

I love you Demetrius!  :-*
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

DRenaissanceGuy

Like I said, i personally have blue and purple hair, an industrial and all I was told was that I needed to at least wear a hat and take out the non period piercing, in a nice and professional way might I add. Its not a ridiculous request people. The point of the festival is to recreate the England in the 16th century, and the fact is that the fair's "quality" has gone down hill fast. In fact my mother just told me how she remembered when I was young all of the boothies spoke in proper accent and practically none of them did last year. Frankly I am glad Paradise is getting things back together.

The fact of the matter is, the request laid out are not all that strict, and were asked in a pleasant and professional way. The fact that you are all blowing it out of proportion speaks to the maturity of the community here in my opinion. My point is, this is a business and a job, and just like you would never expect to be a manager with lime green hair and seventeen peircings on your face for some major company, I don't think it is much to ask that you wear a hat, cover your tats, and at least put retainers in your piercings. (As far as dreads, Im sure that this is just been tacked on too add to the ridiculousness, I havent heard anything to this)

/end rant

Demetrius

Quote from: DRenaissanceGuy on June 04, 2008, 02:30:40 AM

The fact that you are all blowing it out of proportion speaks to the maturity of the community here in my opinion. \

Well, I don't think we're all blowing it out of proportion-  ;) as a matter of fact my hair is normal, and my hair is perfect... and my hair has nothing to do with my religion!!  Samson and Delilah this is not. If I were going to blow this out of proportion I would go on and on about my hair, which, btw, did I mention is perfect. Atomic. I like renaissance hair! 

Tanda has beautiful hair too.

"Your hair is beautiful, whoa oh tonight..."  Blondie
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

The way I look at it companies in the service industry have the right to say no to tattoo's, odd hair color or even odd hair styles and even dress. If you work in a resturant you MUST follow the rules to have a job and work. It's because the place is catering towards the general public and that means business and profit.

Many years ago Wal-Mart had a policy of mens hair not being allowed below the coller. Woodward Govenor in Ft Collins had their own barber. Every man had to go into that barber at times to keep their hair to standards. They also had to keep facial hair in spec. Sometimes this standards have to do with safety, other times because as I said it comes down to customer service.

While personally all I want is someone who is polite, promote and CLEAN (No hair in my food) There are those people out there who WILL and DO refuse service based on appearance. While we as Americans think ourselves above discrimination on any matter, it happens every day. Trust me they do have the ability to do this with no repercusions as I checked on it for myself (Long story)

All I have to say is if you want the job, follow the rules.

And Demetrius, You do have fine hair, but what if you lost it all tomorrow? then you would be like Fuzzy Wuzzy!
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Demetrius

Quote from: Lady_Delaney on June 04, 2008, 09:42:52 AM

And Demetrius, You do have fine hair, but what if you lost it all tomorrow? then you would be like Fuzzy Wuzzy!

If I were to lose my hair (and I won't) I would just go out and look for it (my name is written on each strand).   ;D

Zoë

Remi and DRenaissanceGuy are both right.  This is nothing to get freaked out over, especially since nothing has actually changed.  The fact that the company doesn't allow visible tattoos or extreme piercings shouldn't come as a surprise, nor should it be upsetting that you have to cover them or take them out.  Any other job will do the same, but they'll be far more strict about it--my normal job is dead strict about their appearance guidelines.  Why should ren faire be any different?  There's no rule that says you get to wear whatever you want at ren faire--if you're a patron maybe, yeah.  But it almost seems like rules on this sort of thing should be super strict at a place like faire, if we're trying to be as "period" as possible. 
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

violetdprey

*sigh* I had to buy/make new garb last year.... cuz the vendor I was working for thought there would be issues with my tattoos.... and they aren't even that visible in garb.

Kathleen MacFerno

This in no way affects me but I know that it does A LOT of other people so... if you really want to work at faire (and who wouldn't? :D) and they do decide to crack down on the rules I would say jut put in the little clear guys if you've got piercings (sure it may be a pain but worth it right?) and if you've got tattoos I've heard a lot of good things about this stuff

http://www.tattoo-me.com/concealer.htm              (sorry I don't know how to do links)

It's made specifically to cover tattoosand it's supposed to be water proof. So sure you may have to take a few extra minutes to change piercings and dab on some concealer over your tattoos in the morinings but I think that would be a small price to pay if it meant that you could keep doing your job with out hassel. And I know it's cheaper than a lawyer!

So forgive me if I'm missing the point and the "it's not the actual job but the idea of equal oppertunity" angle but I guess I'm just more a lover than a fighter and this seems like an easy way to keep everyone happy. sorry for rambling
PEACE

a_chromatic_sea

Generally, it's not that big of an issue. From my experience with Paul, as long as I've had plain hoops in my cartilage piercings and not ridiculous jewelry on, I've had no problems with my piercings.

If you've got little tattoos that show somewhere on your garb, you can always get those big ol' knee band-aids to cover it up, if you can get away with it without looking like you just got attacked by a wild animal, hehehe. Generally, unless you have giant tattoos on your face, it's not that difficult to cover up a tattoo. Piercings are wayyyy easier because you can always just either stick a retainer in there, or a smaller piece of jewelry to make it look closer to period. Woot.

Demetrius

Wow, this topic is so serious.

Here it is, a week or so to go and I'm excited for faire, but I'm not too concerned about my legal rights to wear a purple Rockies baseball cap to work at a Renaissance Festival.

Are we really that worried about adorning ourselves with modernity at faire?? I wish that was all I had to worry about.

Actually, I just think it would be great if I could afford to bring my car with me.

It would probably help if I wasn't such a complete failure.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Hey now that's an idea. I will wear a Rockies insignia on my French hood. Av's insignia on my tudor dress, a Nike swatch on my skirt, and Motocross boots on my feet that say FOX on them.

Demetrious, your not a complete failure, just a partial one... Just kidding, your a sweet guy and not a failure at all.. You make us all laugh so how could that be a complete failure?
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e