News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What single thing at faire hurls you off into the depths of rage?

Started by Valiss, July 27, 2010, 10:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

Customers who go to faire, purchase a sword, then ask (or otherwise attempt) to swordfight everyone in costume.

Appearantly, people who have a few drinks in them and a sword in their hands forget that we're actors, not actual sword dueling people (well, at least most of us).

irish

Well a few things........

Parents letting their kids throw stones and do not make any attempt to correct them.
People smoking and blowing it in my face!   >:(
Or when they smoke,  letting their cigarette, near my garb!
And.......Parents letting their kids touch my 'garb' accessories, if they sit near me! I mean, geeshhh....let me touch your purse lady!  ;D

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

DonaCatalina

I can honestly say I was only close to rage once at faire. We were making our way through a dense crowd around a street performer. A drunk patron behind me kept bumping me and stepping on my heels. When he finally pushed me into a bench and nearly onto the ground, I rounded on him and gave him a tongue lashing that he is probably still trying to figure out since it was all in Spanish.
But of course at the time he merely stumbled past me without apologizing  as soon as there was a large enough gap in the crowd.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Muffin

Garb Nazi's... Get over yourself please!

People who expect free beer all day everyday, and then get mad when I won't give it to them... Sorry kids its for charity, we can't give it all away!

Drunk women lifting up MY husbands kilt!!!!

Drunk men (boys) who think its okay to play grabby grabberson just because I am a Beer Wench.. Someone's gonna lose a few fingers if it happens again this year! No Touchy!!!!!

Did I already say Garb Nazi's? Well I'll say it again! Garb Nazi's!!!

People who let their rotten children run freely around faire terrorizing the staff and vendors.. Just because you think little Johnny is an Angel doesn't make it true...

>:( >:( >:(
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

LadyFae

Same as in the Mundane world- parents who don't pay proper attention to their children or that allow the little brats to do whatever they want!  I have three little girls who I try to keep well behaved and it irks me to no end to see other kids terrorizing the actors or the shops.  An example of this is at the MN Fairy Fest this past year- a few kids decided that it would be ok and funny to abuse Jewel- they were hitting her with wands and kicking stones at her and other such crap- and no parent to intervene.  My oldest daughter looked at me incredulously and so I had to step in and tell the other kids that they shouldn't do that to the fairy- not that the little brats listened to me but I had to try!  Or the kids that get mad at me or my kids for us not giving THEM our stuff (our pouches, our fairy stones that were gifted to us, our feather fans, our flutes, our wands, ect.) and then the parents of those kids that get upset at us because we upset their kids by telling them no.  Sorry folks, teach your kids some manners and make them learn that they can't always get anything they want!  =P
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

crazyrennie

This one is specific to my stage at Arizona-
Mundanes who try to get grabby with the Performers or their gear while on stage.

I have Birds of Prey and a whip act-

I have a falconry glove for a reason

Taffy Saltwater

Garb Nazis.  Crying/Bratty/tamtrum-throwing children.  People who bring babies & then ignore them while baby does what babies do.  Drunks.
Sveethot!

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Valiss on July 27, 2010, 10:33:23 AM
Customers who go to faire, purchase a sword, then ask (or otherwise attempt) to swordfight everyone in costume.
Appearantly, people who have a few drinks in them and a sword in their hands forget that we're actors, not actual sword dueling people (well, at least most of us).

Most fairs have a zero tolerance for non peace tied weapons (when they are allowed at all).  This is a serious safety issue.
  But I am always amazed when people still get pissed when you tell them they can't carry a weapon in the park, especially when alcohol is available.
  I think KC does not allow anyone not on cast to carry weapons (even fake flintlocks) and swords purchased on site are held at the gate until the patron leaves.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Mairte

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

People walking around faire, plugged in to an ipod or txting like crazy. Come on people, there's a whole show going on, just for you, pay attention to it!

Those people who ruin the fun for everyone. The downers who think the girls should cover up, or that the sword fighting looks too real, or the whip cracks sound too much like gun shots...

angusmacinnes

I dont know that I have ever been pushed to the point of rage at faire.  That is one reason I attend is to avoid most the things in the real world that really set me off.  Now, all of the things that have been mentioned prior to this are valid points.  I just try to stay with my character and disregard them. In Dona's case I dont blame her for an instant. That was rude and uncalled for behavior on the patrons behalf.  IMHO.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

SirRichardBear

I wouldn't say rage but it annoys me,  Its a long bow, a weapon, part of an art going back to prehistory it is not a walking stick.  There are many fine vendors selling beautiful walking sticks buy one and stop with using a beautiful long bow as a walking stick. 

And yes I've heard every Scottish and kilt joke in the world your's is not new or funny.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Rowan MacD

Oh yeah.  The folks that don't pick up after their pets.  You paid the fee, got a bag (If you didn't bring yer own) so pick it up.
 I don't care what kind of animal it is, you should still pick up after it.  
 That includes large geese. Poop is poop, people.  You want to herd geese, you can pick up the big pieces, and some of those turds are worthy of a small dog.  

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Zardoz

Well, loud misbehaving drunks and loud misbehaving children are annoying anywhere you find them, not just faire! Drunks I can deal with, but heavens forbid you say anything about someone else's kids! It seems that's the only time the parents notice the little bastards, then they go off on you for daring to tell them how to raise them. I love when they ask me or my wife if we have any, we'll say no, and after seeing y'all we don't want to!

I don't really let that kind of stuff ruin my day though, but I think sometimes I get more "faire related" stress outside the gates, like this week I was banging my head against the wall on a kilt forum trying to explain to some people that seem like they've never had a day of fun in their lives why we like to dress up and do what we do.  

Oh yeah, and unauthorized kilt checks  ;)
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine