News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What single thing at faire hurls you off into the depths of rage?

Started by Valiss, July 27, 2010, 10:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert of armstrong

I don't think I have ever been near the point of rage at a Faire, but a couple things do irk me.

As a perent of a nearly two year old daughter (and a son on the way in the next few weeks) who intends to bring his kids to Faire, I can't fathom drinking while I am responsible for their well being, as well as governing their behaviour.  Dealing with drunks sucks, and if they aren't watching their kids, who is?  At one point evolution would have solved this problem.

I love having my photo taken at Faire, and generally garner my share of attention, but when I am on my way to the privy, I am not stopping for the paprazzi.  When nature calls, I respond.  I need a few extra moments with what I wear.  I wish the mundane couple visiting Sterling from the deep south (accents gave them away) my apologies, but I had to go.  Man did they give me attitude.

Star Trek/Star Wars characters at a Faire based in the 1300-1500's era.  There is a time and place, the Faire isn't ComiCon or a Star Trek Convention.  Try to keep your character at least related (however minutely) to being from this mundane earth's past, and fantasy based maybe on would might have been believed in or the stuff of myth/legend from back then.

(By the way, I am a Trekky from time to time, so easy on the attacks).

Groups of Goth kids at Faire, of their own accord, still being miserable.  If you are unhappy, and the Faire isn't helping, why would you choose to go there?
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

serenamoonsilver

People (both kids and adults) who buy the toy wooden weapons and then think that give them the go-ahead to battle eveyone and everything. Yes, they are toys but it still hurts like heck when you get hit by one.

I didn't believe the people coming up demanding your stuff until it happend to me.  A girl asked for my staff.  I told her no.  Her parents offered to buy off it me, so I directed them to the vendor I bought it from.  They were pretty reasonable but I got the impression that their little darling got whatever she wanted.

Men who assume because my bossom is promiently displayed that is okay to cop a feel.  Luckily there was a security guy near by who intervened.

Dinobabe

Quote from: serenamoonsilver on July 28, 2010, 08:35:59 AM
Men who assume because my bosom is prominently displayed that is okay to cop a feel.  Luckily there was a security guy near by who intervened.

I don't care what kind of event it is that is sexual harassment!  People like that need to be arrested, plain and simple.

People that come into a shop, break things, shrug, and walk out.

Biggest complaint, bad kids with bad parents. 
My mom is a teacher (possibly the worst job to have nowadays) and always has to deal with perfect little Johny or Suzy that never does anything wrong so the teacher must be picking on my child syndrome.
There was a kid at Hancocks yesterday that needed to be beaten within an inch of his life!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lady Neysa

Quote from: Valiss on July 27, 2010, 01:23:11 PM
That said, I've never heard of or seen a faire that didnt allow weapons. And most people seem to handle the booze and blades just fine. It's the occasional moron that gives the weapons a bad name.
Maryland has a strict "No weapons, costume or real" policy. Heck up until a few years ago they still had fire acts until there was a  minor incident with a patron. Now they no longer have fire acts.

Valiss

Quote from: Lady Neysa on July 28, 2010, 10:36:27 AM
Quote from: Valiss on July 27, 2010, 01:23:11 PM
That said, I've never heard of or seen a faire that didnt allow weapons. And most people seem to handle the booze and blades just fine. It's the occasional moron that gives the weapons a bad name.
Maryland has a strict "No weapons, costume or real" policy.Heck up until a few years ago they still had fire acts until there was a minor incident with a patron. Now they no longer have fire acts.

That sucks for sure as there are some good fire acts out there! Like I mentioned to someone else above, maybe it's just a west coast thing about allowing weapons. The more I read on this forum, the more it sounds like faires outside of CA are pretty strict. There are something like 25 faires a year in CA and I've been to a dozen of them and none had anything beyond a peace tie requirement.  In which case I think I'll stick to CA faires.  :)

DragonWing

So far I haven't gotten mad at anyone at faire but I have only been going for 3 years now this will be my 4th.

I understand the bad kids and I see a lot outside of faire. My partner will say loud for all to hear if a kid is throughing a tantrum, beat his/her weed puller. Parents quickly scoop their kids up and walk away.  ;D
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

arbcoind

PRF allows weapons.  They must be tie wrapped and are inspected at the gate.

I don't like it when paytrons refuse to clean up after themselves even though there are trash receptacles everywhere.  I hate to see used napkins, paper plates and cups on the ground or the picnic tables.   They must think someone on cast is to do this job. 

I butt out my ciggy and put it in the trash.  I'd never leave it on the ground.

Gina

Elennare

So far the only thing that's gotten me truely mad at faire is people who steal my stuff.  I have lost a mug, that was irreplaceable due to the fact that only a limited number of them were manufactured for only the people working at one particular place that one summer, and a fan that was a present, to people who decided to take my stuff.

The mug, I think someone actually took off my belt while I was watching a show.  It had been quite securely attached, and wasn't there after the show.  Maybe it wasn't as secure as I thought, but it was definately gone and no amount of backtracking between where I was and where I know I last had it (not all that far away) made it reappear.  It wasn't at lost and found, and none of the shop keepers along the way said they had it.  So, someone kept it, whether I dropped it or they helped themselves to it from my belt.  

The fan was scooped up by someone in a large group of tourists after I dropped it, and they all denied seeing anything.  It wasn't that far between where I started and where I lost it (hundred yards tops, but probably more like 50), you all were right behind me (and the only other people around), and it wasn't on the ground anywhere.  Sure, none of you saw anything.  Right.  :'(
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

BLAKDUKE

First:

Weaponless faires are few and far between.  I know of only two now.   Maryland and K.C.  K.C.'s  is even stricter than most.  I have heard tales that they do not even allow staffs.  I do not know this from personnal experience though.  A number of faires have reversed their "no weapons"  policy.  Sterling, BARF, Either Michigan or Wisc. I am not sure which.

Second:

When asked if you have children, try this response.  "no not any more.  I had one once, but it was not seasoned properly and tasted horrible".

Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

Yeh, Michigan got real strict for a year or two, but has loosened back up to allow them as long as they are peace tied.

Bob of the Lake

NYRF also allows weapons if they're peace tied.

Although it's not enough to hurl me into a rage, I really get peeved at people who use the seating area of a performance space to hold a family meeting or discuss what they're going to do next, etc., while the performance is still going on. They completely ignore the performers and everyone who is trying to enjoy the show. It's especially irritating when it happens during a musical performance. Just try catching the lyrics of a song when the people behind you are arguing about what to have for lunch!
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Queen Bonnie

No rage here- but these things irk me.
People in garb constantly on their cell phones.
Litterers.
Smokers
Many shows at faire are so smokey I can't get near them!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Becky10

Drunk people are really the only thing that has ever got me enraged. I saw a group barely able to walk screaming and cussing at everyone and everything and all i could think is how the hell are they getting home? There should be a wood plank leading up to the bar and if you cant walk it then you ain't getting a drink pal.

I dont get parents who buy like 3 boys wooden swords then spend an hour yelling at them for hitting each other with them...what did they think they were going to do with them? Now if they start hitting other people that sword would be hitting the trash if i was their parent.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Dinobabe

Quote from: Becky10 on July 28, 2010, 07:08:12 PM
Now if they start hitting other people that sword would be hitting the trash if i was their parent.

Boy in the trash, take the sword home... ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

cowgrrl

People who are underdressed.  I'm not talking about bellydancers or guys in kilts & tank tops.  I'm talking about the (normally women) who are walking around wearing a g-string & some chain maille.  I really do not want to see your booty or as much of your chest as I can sometimes see through the maille.