News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Color of garb

Started by Mairte, July 10, 2010, 04:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mairte

Well, I guess it helps that green is my favorite color, usually a hunter green though.
I guess I need to get a picture up here of it, huh?

LadyFae

Ooh, yes please!  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Imestra

At some point in the long gone past, I had that color book that proposed seasons as the basis for your color scheme.  The Autumn looks best in harvest colors, if you have an olive color in or under your skin tone.  The moss greens are in this group.  The yellow-greens compliment the olive tones.

The Spring's skin has blue undertones, rather than olive.  That's me.  I feel I look best in blue, pink & purples, especially the pastel shades.  The green has to be just this side of aqua to look good on me.   

It sounds like you are drawn to the Autumn, and could accessorize in the oh-so H/A pumpkin colors that coordinate quite well with moss greens.
We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars

DonaCatalina

I think the green was probably the best choice, especially if you are an autumn. Browns for us have to be a warm chocolately color that seems to be hard to find these days.
I am a definite autumn but I do find I also seem to prefer those colors, like gold and russet red.
If you think more about what colors you like, rather than what colors you wear for mundane, you'll probably pick the colors you look best in.
Post pics when you get the dress!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Anna Iram

A bit late on chiming in here Mairte, but a good way to choose the right color for yourself is to go to a fabric store with a large hand mirror in tow. Drape each fabric across yourself, one at a time, and notice how each different bit changes the tone of your eyes or skin color and how it makes you feel. That's the best way to decide what your colors are. Even different shades of a particular color can be wearable or not, as Dona says. If you are having something made ,ask for a a swatch. Even a small piece can be held to your face and you'll notice such a difference with each change of color.

If it's a color you just love, but can't wear, look for an accessory that has the color. Perhaps in your fan or a feather in you hat.

Mairte

I will definitely post a pic when it gets here. :)
I dont know if I said, but I was trying to decide what season I am. I wasnt a winter or summer certainly. I was "almost" a spring and "almost" an autumn. I think more autumn though....
I will definitely take everyones suggestions in hand when I go pick out the fabric for my home-made dress, unless I have to buy online like I have to do so many things.
I like the idea of a swatch to see how it looks next to my face/skin.

Cilean

Yep,  I have Snarked in the past and will do it again. I am amazed at what people think is a costume and what people think is a Renaissance well anything like the chain mail bikinis, um really? Or the I dream of Jeanie Belly Dance gauzy stuff when you are a size 26, how can you look in the mirror and not see the wrong in that?  :o  Most of the time these same people will strike up a conversation after asking me for a photo op and ask me where I got what I am wearing.  This is when I help them to see they too can make lovely things and they too can find glorious garb and they can look as spiffy as anyone at Faire (or in the SCA).

I am a girlie-girl, I adore the big dresses and how silk taffeta sounds when you walk about, I love pressing my Smocks and having lovely jewelery. This is who I am, I am very tall 5 10, and not thin, I have always had to work on people not thinking I am some hulkette to pick up heavy object, because I am of a "healthy" size. How I yearned to be a Ballerina...

So I have lovely gowns in my favorite colors, blues, grays, purples, greens, blacks, I love how I feel in these colors and I love finding just the right fabrics to make my Gowns pop!

As for the Twilight Novels? I have not seen a single Vampire series that attest to what was termed Vampire, so really why not those that glow? I really enjoy the Twilight Series, so brava to the writer she brought a new thought into something that really had become so trite and over done.  She made people want to read again.  Good for her!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Queen Genevieve

I'm lucky, I can wear purple, if I want. ;D
Queen Genevieve

Rani Zemirah

I just buy beautiful fabrics when they're on sale, then stash them and wait until the inspiration hits me to use them.  Somehow it usually works out that I have the perfect amount for whatever I decide to make.  Don't ask me how this works, because I try not to question it for fear that it will stop...  ;) 

On figuring out your skin tone's perfect color palette, I was shown something by a theatrical makeup artist once that was supposed to tell if you are a "warm", "cool" or "neutral".  Hold a piece of gold lame up under your chin, in natural lighting, and if your own skin tone brightens with the color then you are a warm, but if it seems to pull the color down and away from your face you are a "cool", and if there is no noticeable change you are a "neutral".  At least that's what she said, and she demonstrated it on several different ladies, although I seemed to be the only neutral, so who knows... 

I like green a great deal, also!  Hope your new garb is exactly what you're wishing for!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede