News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Thread about Gypsy Hair Things

Started by Dinobabe, July 27, 2010, 04:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyShadow

Quote from: raevyncait on July 30, 2010, 02:11:19 PM
Quote from: Auryn on July 28, 2010, 11:11:37 AM
DO you have to have long hair to wear hair falls??
I have only ever seen them attached to pony tails or pig tails.
I have chin length hair and would love to do falls for a fae character

I made some that were attached to a headband, instead of an elastic ponytail holder. It was a bit more tedious, as I had to do several sections, but it was enough, mixed with my layered, shorter than chin length hair that Twisted Sisters wanted to braid my hair... until I took the headband off and they saw I really didn't have enough for them to braid.

THat sounds lovely.  Do you have a pic?
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

dragongirl

Quote from: Delireus on July 29, 2010, 04:09:37 PM
Quote from: Bonny Pearl on July 29, 2010, 08:49:10 AM
Quote from: Delireus on July 28, 2010, 11:42:55 PM

II think I may endeavor to make my own too. I saw some once, I think they may have been made by someone from this site, they had clear plastic flexible tubing in them, kind of had a cyber punk feel. Those were cool. Anyways, good luck!
The plastic tube ones are called cyberlox's and the tubing runs about $25 to $30 a spool.

Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Bonny Pearl

So, I made a strand to add to my hair falls, but I might end up adding this to my belt instead... :P

I used eyelash yarn, cowrie shells, and beads from wood and pewter.  I used 4 strands of yarn, folded in half to get 8 strands total.  Then I made a loop and then sectioned in half to get 2 completed strands of beading.  I could have added coins to this too but I am saving those to add to my bra top.

I ordered Colinette Point 5 yarn for the falls.  I read on another site that using this yarn gives a dreadlock look, which I think will be fun.  I had tried to make my own with wool roving but geez.... what a pain in the booty lol!  :D

These aren't the best pics but hopefully you get an idea of what I'm working toward.

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

ladylissame

I have a hair fall attached to a barrette that was bought for me from CherBear. I also use to pull my hair back, so you don't need to attach it to pig or pony tails

crashbot

My wife has boxes and boxes of these things in every color, shape, size and material one could think of. 

She never wears them anymore, hmmmm..
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

Bonny Pearl

The yarn I bought for the falls came in!  Woo Hoo!  Project time!  ;D

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

ladylissame

I think I will need to go buy some and make my own too

Bonny Pearl

so i started my hair fall.  i am making a single fall, not the pig tail ones.  looking pretty good so far.  two skeins (54 yds each) of the colinette point 5 and the fall itself is pretty darn light!

now it's on to weighing the sucker down lol.  :D getting ready to add gypsy bits to it and probably a few strands of different textured yarns.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

eldatari

Bonny, please post a pic when you are done.

Bonny Pearl

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

LadyStitch

I thought I read on here or the other topic, that they use Lion's brand yard to make these.  If so, fabric.com has it on sale for this weekend.  They have it 15% off (8/13-15/10) , and then the site is offering free shipping with $35 or more purchases.

I don't make these but every little bit helps coupon wise.  ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.