News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Belly Dance

Started by Dinobabe, July 29, 2010, 12:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

Is there a section about Belly Dance and I'm just not seeing it?  Thanks!

Anyone here Belly Dance?
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

renfairephotog

There's not a belly dance section. I know we have some dancers on the forum. This thread is can be use to start a discussion on Belly dancing.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Dinobabe

Start! ;D

I started taking lessons about 2 weeks ago.  I'm not bad, if I do say so myself! ;)
I started making a gypsy outfit a while back and I thought if I'm going to look the part I better be able to back it up!  The teacher is really great and the class is a lot of fun, not to mention a WORKOUT!  Susan Summers step aside! :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

BLAKDUKE

As a confirmed sea faring individual, I always enjoy watching new "NAVEL' maneuvers.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Delireus

I know that belly dancing isn't just about rippling your tummy in that wavy motion, but my 10 year old sister can do that really well. She's been able to do that since she was 7 or so, it's kind of creepy really, she's pretty good :D
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

sealion

I've put together my idea of a Steampunk dance outfit (I'll be wearing the complete outfit for the first time tomorrow!) but I don't yet know how to dance. I've looked into lessons but there isn't much to choose from in the summer. I'm waiting for the fall ATS session to start. :)
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Delireus

My college has a belly dancing club. I think they use it as an exercise more than training. If I ever lose this gut, maybe I shall give it a try :P
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Bonny Pearl

I've been in search of an instructor in my area and not having much luck.   :(

Thinking I might just have to get a dvd for instruction, but I'm going to keep looking for a teacher.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Dinobabe

If you have Netflix they have belly dance DVDs and one that you can watch instantly.

Delireus- if you want to lose weight and tone up start lessons now!  It is a serious workout. :o
And you don't wear the garb in class, unless you want to.  It takes a while to commit to muscle memory anyway.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Delireus

hah, i had no idea netflix had those DVDs, that's awesome, thanks a lot :)
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

sealion

Quote from: Delireus on July 31, 2010, 03:48:34 PM
My college has a belly dancing club. I think they use it as an exercise more than training. If I ever lose this gut, maybe I shall give it a try :P

Dancing will help you lose the gut! Bellydancing is more about being confident in the skin you're in rather than being rail thin and showing skin anyway. :)
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Dinobabe

I have known my husband since high school and when we look back at pictures he says I was WAY too skinny.  He prefers a woman with meat on her bones!  Besides, the idea of the ideal female body being 5'9" and <100lbs is a very recent concept.  I am much more about feeling good than fitting society's box (isn't that what this board is all about!).  Proof is in my mom who is miserable all of the time because she tries to keep a certain weight.  I eat healthy, exercise, and don't worry about it too much.  I find I am much happier! ;)

Now I can't wait until I have enough belly dance lessons under my belt to perform!  About every three months they have a dance night at a club. :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lady L

I found some basic instructions on YouTube. There are two sisters that go through the movements.
The lessons are in 4 parts. ;D
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Lady L on August 01, 2010, 12:10:09 AM
I found some basic instructions on YouTube. There are two sisters that go through the movements.
The lessons are in 4 parts. ;D

Are you talking about the twins?  If so, I saw that one too, lol.  Looks like they have a couple of sets of videos.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

ladylissame

I took belly dance lessons several years ago for 2 years until the instructor stopped teaching. I tried a few other instructors but no one taught me as much. I have found another troupe that teaches in the Tribal style I learned and I cannot wait to start lessons again (need $ first).
I always felt so happy and confident when dancing. I did tone up a bit, but the confidence is the booster. Just knowing just how much your body can do is incredible. I have a partially fused spine but I could still bend and be incredible flexible when I thought my back would hinder that.
My husband is also one who prefer girls with meat. He saw pictures of me at 15lbs lighter than I was when we met, 30 lbs from now, and said i was too skinny. I'm only allowed to go down to where I was when we started dating.