News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Belly Dance

Started by Dinobabe, July 29, 2010, 12:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady L

Yes, Bonny Pearl! I wasn't sure of their names...Veena and Nina?
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Blue66669

I'm one to say that unless you're getting live instruction, you may be missing out on a lot of the proper postures and things that will save some muscles and build other important ones up.

HI, my name is Blue, and I've been a belly dancer for about 2 years now. I've danced with Wine and Alchemy, as well as around a few fires here and there LOL! I'm still learning, I'm not all that awesome, but I know my way around a good chest lift and a shimmy. Oh, and I can belly dance to anything. My faves so far seem to be 80's new wave and ska music like Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Reel Big Fish.
Blaidd Drwg

Elennare

I don't belly dance, but I'd like to.  I've found a couple of places that teach lessons, but right now my schedule is such that I can't make it at the times they offer. :(  Maybe this fall, though, when my schedule shifts a bit, I'll be able to.

I can not shimmy, though.  For some reason, I just can't get my body to move that way.  Can a good teacher fix that?  Or am I doomed to never being able to shimmy, and thus never belly dance?
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

BryanPopp

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on July 31, 2010, 05:20:17 PM
I've been in search of an instructor in my area and not having much luck.   :(

Thinking I might just have to get a dvd for instruction, but I'm going to keep looking for a teacher.

Bonny
You should chat up Lady Nina at The Pirates Treasure when TRF starts up. If memory serves she is part of a troupe that performs around the Houston area. She may know a teacher that you can reach.

Blue66669

Shimmy is all about posture and muscle isolations. A good teacher can have your body doing things you didn't know your body could do. A good teacher can look at your form and figure out the best way to teach YOU how to do it so that you can understand it. You can't get that from a video. Now, learning some new techniques and choreography from a DVD is ok. But I would combine it with a regimen of a class or two a month.
Blaidd Drwg

GirlChris

I'm always surprised when people say "you have to be skinny to belly dance." The best dancers I know are all gorgeous curvy girls (and one curvy guy).

More curves=more room for coins=more jingles!

Dinobabe

So tomorrow is lesson 7!
I am REALLY enjoying the class.  We have started learning combinations and I want to start taking the beginner choreography when it loops back (missing the beginning of this session due to work travel).  Pyrate Fest is coming up and now I have the delima of choosing between pirate and gypsy (my teacher and her troupe will be performing at fest)!  I made a new skirt for my outfit and have changed/added quite a bit from the photo I posted.  It looks really different now.  I like it a lot better.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

analise

Quote from: Dinobabe on August 25, 2010, 09:54:32 PM
So tomorrow is lesson 7!
I am REALLY enjoying the class.  We have started learning combinations and I want to start taking the beginner choreography when it loops back (missing the beginning of this session due to work travel).  Pyrate Fest is coming up and now I have the delima of choosing between pirate and gypsy (my teacher and her troupe will be performing at fest)!  I made a new skirt for my outfit and have changed/added quite a bit from the photo I posted.  It looks really different now.  I like it a lot better.

Sounds like you need to be a Gypsy Pirate. :)

ravic

Quote from: BryanPopp on August 02, 2010, 12:03:49 PM
Quote from: Bonny Pearl on July 31, 2010, 05:20:17 PM
I've been in search of an instructor in my area and not having much luck.   :(

Thinking I might just have to get a dvd for instruction, but I'm going to keep looking for a teacher.

Bonny
You should chat up Lady Nina at The Pirates Treasure when TRF starts up. If memory serves she is part of a troupe that performs around the Houston area. She may know a teacher that you can reach.
Also talk to the dancers from the Gypsy Dance Theater & Sunyata troupes. Several of them are instructors & may be familiar with teachers in your area.

Dinobabe

Quote from: analise on August 26, 2010, 09:20:38 AM
So tomorrow is lesson 7!

I'm just trying to figure out where to put my pistol! :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

analise

Quote from: Dinobabe on August 26, 2010, 11:24:38 AM
So tomorrow is lesson 7!

Thigh holster? :)

Bonny Pearl

thanks Bryan and Ravic!  i will have to check with them!  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Dinobabe

Quote from: analise on August 26, 2010, 11:57:07 AM
Quote from: Dinobabe on August 26, 2010, 11:24:38 AM
So tomorrow is lesson 7!
I am REALLY enjoying the class.  We have started learning combinations and I want to start taking the beginner choreography when it loops back (missing the beginning of this session due to work travel).  Pyrate Fest is coming up and now I have the delima of choosing between pirate and gypsy (my teacher and her troupe will be performing at fest)!  I made a new skirt for my outfit and have changed/added quite a bit from the photo I posted.  It looks really different now.  I like it a lot better.

Thigh holster? :)

:o :o :o :o :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Knitting_Dragon

So I had to dig this one up.
I too am a student of belly dance and love watching those who dance at faire. I myself am not quite up to snuff to perform yet. I also unfortunately missed the two local fairs this spring.

What does this all mean? Wearing my practice dance garb or my ren garb around everywhere! employees at walmart love me!
"It's only natural. Even if they aren't alive, you are. You care because you're alive--because you have a heart.""

maeven

Ooh! I totally forgot this thread was here!

;D
*Short enough to not reach the pedals, tall enough for the rides at Six Flags!*

I'm splendid. That is all.

AHE 2013 RenNado Survivor