News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Huzzah! New Kilt!

Started by Zardoz, July 29, 2010, 02:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zardoz

I got a new kilt in from Rocky at USA Kilts this week, it's their 'semi-traditional' model in the Poly Viscose fabric version of the Texas Bluebonnet tartan, which is our offical state tartan.
I've wanted a kilt in this tartan for years, but had been balking at the price of the wool tartan. I finally pulled the trigger when Rocky told me it was avalible in the PV fabric, which is less expensive, easier care, and cooler than wool in the Texas heat.

Here's a detail shot of the tartan as I was pressing the shipping wrinkles out of the pleats;

And here's the DIY kilt pin I put together for it;

::)  it might look better on a hanger, but here's some mug shots I did with the timer, hopefully we'll get some outdoor ones soon, I think this tartan's colors look better in natural light.

fore,

and aft...

"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

angusmacinnes

Very nice lad.  Hope you get many years of wear out of it. ;D
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Nighthawk

Waz up, Zardoz? Did you make a post about this on X Marks? I'm sure you did and I missed it... Looks great! I like that tartan.

mehan

Looks great - and thanks to your post, I have christmas in the bag for my hubby who has wanted a texas bluebonnet to add to his collection for a long while, however until now, we were unable to find it  in anything other than the full price wool tartan.....

Anyone else - Rocky says he only has enough for about 7 more.

Zardoz

Quote from: Nighthawk on August 04, 2010, 02:15:41 PM
Waz up, Zardoz? Did you make a post about this on X Marks? I'm sure you did and I missed it... Looks great! I like that tartan.

Yepers, in the USAKilts section.

Like Mehan said, this PV fabric was a limited deal for USA Kilts, so get your orders in! Tell 'em Zardoz sent ya'!
Having said that, Rocky said in late April- early May that he had enough to do 25 or 30 kilts, and it should last a "few months", considering it's now August and he's only got tartan for a few more kilts, it's been moving pretty good! I wonder if he might get another run in.
IBRSC# 1619,

Nighthawk

Maybe he'll do a run of another state tartan- like the Colorado state- given how well the Texas has been moving. That would be great! I'd love one in something other than my woolie. It gets warm...

mehan

Its here!  Hubby's new Blue Bonnet - Now I only have to wait three months to give it to him.... its gorgeous.  Thanks Zardoz!

Zardoz

Quote from: mehan on September 24, 2010, 06:47:45 AM
Its here!  Hubby's new Blue Bonnet - Now I only have to wait three months to give it to him.... its gorgeous.  Thanks Zardoz!

You're welcome! Always happy to be an enabler help!

I heard earlier this week that Rocky at USAKilts only had about 2 or 3 kilts worth of the Bluebonnet PV left, so if anyone's been procrastinating, Good Luck!
IBRSC# 1619,

Francisco Paula

I just picked up a new kilt of the MacFarlane clan from sportkilt. Wish i could find others that carried it but still happy with it.

iain robb

Quote from: Sir Garath on September 24, 2010, 02:13:50 PM
I just picked up a new kilt of the MacFarlane clan from sportkilt. Wish i could find others that carried it but still happy with it.

Huzzah! Another MacFarlane! We should go cattle rustling together some time.

iain robb

Whoops -- just realized some may not know the story of the MacFarlanes and may think I am suggesting criminal activity.

The MacFarlanes were widely known as thieves, and their clan song translates roughly as "To Steal the Cows We Go." A full moon -- a good time for committing larceny -- was known in some parts of the Highlands as MacFarlane's lantern.

So the suggestion was symbolic only. Although I am fond of eating steak and wearing leather.

MacKee

The Order of Culloden Moor

Francisco Paula

But under a full moon there is to much light and easy to be seen. Ummm so i've been told

Well the two clans my family come from are under the Macfarlane tartan but we are Callaway and Galloway.

Nighthawk

Quote from: iain robb on September 24, 2010, 02:16:54 PM
Quote from: Sir Garath on September 24, 2010, 02:13:50 PM

Huzzah! Another MacFarlane! We should go cattle rustling together some time.

I'm a MacLeod. You'd probably be rustling my cattle!

Quote from: Sir Garath on September 24, 2010, 04:40:53 PM
But under a full moon there is to much light and easy to be seen. Ummm so i've been told

Well the two clans my family come from are under the Macfarlane tartan but we are Callaway and Galloway.

See, that's the great thing about kilt wearing. It's a lot easier to run away if you get caught with your kilt up, than it is if you get caught with your pants down!

Nighthawk

Jack Daw at Work

Excellent tartan, Z.  Congrats on the acquisition!
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Francisco Paula

I just picked up a new kilt, its a Kommando Kilt (its similar to utilikilt) figure i can wear it around town.

I am looking to either get a great kilt or an ancient kilt for my next kilt.

Oh in less then i year i have picked up 3 kilts love them now planning my next kilt.

BagPipeBabe

Just got my  husband one

now we need to get the rest of the grab he needs.

Francisco Paula

I will warn you that kilt wearing is addictive. I am up to three myself and love them and looking to purchase my 4th which i am thinking will be a great kilt.

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: BagPipeBabe on January 08, 2011, 11:53:44 AM
Just got my  husband one

now we need to get the rest of the grab he needs.

Just where are you planning to grab him? :o  ;) (don't you hate it when those letters reverse themselves?)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Merlin

I got the same one from Rocky ! !   It's very nice !
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Francisco Paula

Merlin you got a grab from Rocky

BagPipeBabe

Well he dose like to be grabbed (by me)....