News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A Different Perspective

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, July 30, 2010, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sealion

I've stayed quiet on this topic for at long as I could stand. Now it is time to add my two cents worth.  ;D

When I first started going to faires in garb (4-5 years ago) I made every effort to dress in historically accurate garb to the best of my knowledge and sewing abilities. The more research I did, the more disappointed I was in the garb I saw on most faire-goers not to mention the cast members and the stuff being sold at faire. Two years ago I got involved with the SCA. Now I wear my attempts at accuracy for SCA events and wear the fun stuff to faire. I have been into Steampunk costuming for about a year- I like that it is a fun mix of accuracy and imagination. Please note that to date I have only worn Steampunk garb to a Ren Faire for Day of Wrong.

All of that said what really chaps my weed puller about this topic and those like it is that the people complaining about Steampuck, Lolita, Star Trek or whatever showing up at faire are usually the same people who dress in "Celtic", "pirate", "bellydancer", or "wench" garb. I wish these people would take a moment to realize that these outfits would be just as out of place in an Elizabethan English village as a Trekkie!

Seriously, if what other people are wearing at faire really effects your enjoyment that much, maybe you should just stay home!!!
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

crashbot

Quote from: sealion on July 31, 2010, 11:07:43 AM

All of that said what really chaps my weed puller about this topic and those like it is that the people complaining about Steampuck, Lolita, Star Trek or whatever showing up at faire are usually the same people who dress in "Celtic", "pirate", "bellydancer", or "wench" garb. I wish these people would take a moment to realize that these outfits would be just as out of place in an Elizabethan English village as a Trekkie!

Seriously, if what other people are wearing at faire really effects your enjoyment that much, maybe you should just stay home!!!

And as I said, if you want a historically accurate Elizabethan era village, go to a living history exhibit. The fantasy aspects of "Celtic", "pirate", "bellydancer", or "wench" garb are much more in line with the overall environment than a Storm Trooper or some anime character.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

Zardoz

Of all the sci-fi franchises y'all have so much trouble with, leave Doctor Who alone! He would be the most likely to show up! He is a time traveler, and a personal friend of Elizabeth I and all!  ::)

What I find funny and ironic about these types of threads, besides the fact that we got a couple of folks on here that it seems just can't let the subject drop,  is that currently two forums for kilt wearers that I am on are having the same discussion about "those renfaire people" that show up in garb at Highland games and other Celtic events.

I guess I should start polling some sci-fi forums and see what they don't like see patrons wear at conventions?  I know some of the folks at the last Apollocon that stuck some goggles on what was obviously their renfaire garb and called it steampunk looked silly as hell to some of us.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

renfairephotog

The Tenth Doctor was at TN ren this year. He's also at area cons.

OT:itunes has a free download of the 1st episode of the Ninth Doctor.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Noble Dreg

I just think if you go to an event you at least try to fit in, to do otherwise is simply an act of disrespect, intended or otherwise.

There is a huge local Hmong festival in town, many go in 'danes, and many more in traditional SE Asian garb.  Is it OK to show up as a Star Trek away team on a "field survey mission"?  Or in ancient Chinese warrior/Samurai garb?

Celtic, Biker, Sci-fi, Religious festival, who cares...treat the event with dignity.

"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Lady Renee Buchanan

Sealion, I think you are not responding to the question I asked as the topic of this post, rather responding to perceived criticism of what people wear to faire.

I don't care - and most people agree here - what anybody wears to faire, so there is no need for such things as "if you don't like it, stay home."

From the first post, it says that a CAST member felt that people who came as Trekkies, Steampunk, etc. took away from the ILLUSION that the cast, merchants and entertainers worked very hard to try to project for the people who came to visit a RENAISSANCE faire.

And my question was, has anyone else heard that from a performer, or has any performer/cast member felt that way, because it is a different perspective than what I would ever think of.  If I didn't make that clear in the first post (I'm not a professional writer, just someone who attempted to convey another person's opinion), I apologize.

This is NOT a thread about "should they or should they not come wearing what they're wearing," meaning all of us, because none of us really dress as they did back then - thank goodness.  Rather, it is what I stated above.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

renfairephotog

Why is there so much negativity in the threads lately?  Is it the summer heat? There's several threads that are just complaints. I don't think that was the intent of this thread but thats were it's headed.

Faire and this forum are meant to be enjoyed. Not nitpicked till all the fun is sucked out. Please remember Ren fest is a place to escape the annoyances of the regular world. Go to fest and have fun.

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Delireus

Quote from: Zardoz on July 31, 2010, 12:38:20 PM
I guess I should start polling some sci-fi forums and see what they don't like see patrons wear at conventions?  I know some of the folks at the last Apollocon that stuck some goggles on what was obviously their renfaire garb and called it steampunk looked silly as hell to some of us.

That's a good Idea, to get the Trekkies and Star Wars fans take on it. See if they understand why some people might be upset and see how they would feel if rennies came to a sci-fi con in garb.
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

cowgrrl

I have a few friends who have gone to Anime conventions in garb.  The general 'theme' at a Con seems to be that just about anything goes so no one bats an eye. 

My DH is a semi-regular performer at our home faire & he loves seeing the non-HA people.  He'll even make a point to tell me about it & ask me if I saw it too (if I was there that day). 

I've also worn steampunk garb to Faire a few times & the cast response (at least to me) has been very positive.  I know a few cast members & none of them have said 'Yeah, we hate the Trekkies, Steampunks, etc'.  There are few opportunities for me to wear my Steampunk stuff in general & if I was banned from wearing it to faire that would leave me possibly 3 opportunities to wear it per year (Book Character Day, Halloween & Anime Convention). 

I also would say that (regarding steampunk) if Faires don't want Steampunks they at the very least should not have vendors selling steampunk garb & accessories.  I bought one of my pieces at TRF last year & it is definitely a steampunk piece. 

Finally, I think the last thiing we need are fewer places where those of us who enjoy garb-ing up & hanging out with those who do feel welcome.  I personally feel very welcome at my current faire no matter what I'm wearing.  If that changed I would more than likely visit much less.

Taffy Saltwater

Ho-Hum.  Just another bashing of those people who want to expand their faire experience.  It's tired, tired, tired.  Not everybody and everyplace has an event where one can show off their fantasy, etc. garb.  At least people make an effort.  And the last I saw the faire owners have the right to people away at the gate.  And demand that their employees have a dress code.

It's become crystal clear that some people just aren't happy.  Even if everyone showed in faire garb, someone would kvetch about the person who had - gasp! - visible machine stitching.  
Sveethot!

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Zardoz on July 31, 2010, 12:38:20 PM
Of all the sci-fi franchises y'all have so much trouble with, leave Doctor Who alone! He would be the most likely to show up! He is a time traveler, and a personal friend of Elizabeth I and all!  ::)

Personal friend?  He married her!  For a day at least.  Then she exiled him.  Naughty, naughty Doctor!   :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olk5cJ-lcJU&fmt=22
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Ellaris

As a personal preference I would much rather have someone dress up than wear mundane clothes. I tend to find those who are more comfortable and secure to dress in any sort of garb or costume are much better company than certain danes who look down on you for it. I've actually had a dane ask me what I was "trying" to be. And I was simply dumbstruck. Why anyone would think it would be ok to approach a total stranger and make rude remarks about their attire is beyond me. So come as what you will whether it be pirate, wizard or Trekkie because Faire is what you make it.
There's no place like faire

sealion

Hmm... I reread the original post and still don't see a question in there. I stand by my opinion that if the "friend" is so offended by people dressing in inapropriate garb and finds it so disrespectful then he or she should stay home/find another line of work.

BTW- The mental picture I get if someone try to pull weeds with the part of their anatomy that "weed puller" was substituted for (sorry, I didn't realize that word was not allowed) definitely brightened my mood! :lol:
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Valiss

A few points:

1) If you are a paying customer, then you can do whatever the heck you like. Though it does seem like wearing something like a storm troopers outfit to a Renaissance-themed event seems just as odd as wearing a zombie costume to someone's wedding.  I dont know. I mean, what legitimate reason would you have?  But again, you pay the dollar, you do whatever you like. Those that at least attempt to dress ren-esque are always appreciated I can say.

2)As someone who works faire, here are my humble opinions/observations:

a) As the actor, it seems you ought to do what your guild master/director tells you to do, first and foremost.
b) That said, if you are an actor for the faire and if the faire claims to be a vision of 1588, then it seems proper that ought to attempt to dress as they did in 1588. Check out your faire's website: most say if they are of a specific year or if they are fantasy, etc.
c) Having an actor or member of the public come dressed as a florescent red fairy with 8-foot wings, for example, kinda kills the illusion the rest of us work so hard to create if that is what the faire is about.
d) There are all kinds of ways to keep it mostly or fully HA while keeping the individuality most people strive to display.  
e) Most people of the public come dressed in mundanes and that is expected (it's not distracting as a steampunk person would be, for example).
f) It's about having fun, or else none of us would be here!  :)

That said, I dont say anything to those that come dressed in something other that what is period for any given faire.  I like this approach: http://attack-laurel.livejournal.com/167972.html personally.  

Lady Nicolette

Something to consider as well is that some people dress in whatever style they like every day...Whether the latest is glam or mods or rockers or steampunk or retro hippie/original hippie/dancer/blahblahblah or whatever (probably less likely some types, but you get my drift).  Some of these people are just dressed as they prefer to dress and are able to live whatever lifestyle supports that and show up at faire in that attire.  

I still see the original posting as just an inquiry for perspectives, not a request for people to complain.  Do you find it a distraction, a minus, a plus or just roll with it?
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine