News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Newbie to Pop-Up camping- give me your advice, please?

Started by bellevivre, August 03, 2010, 03:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpullen

Okay, I won't discuss the camping equipment checklists (see the thread in the TRF area).

For a pop-up trailer, remember it basically a tent on wheels.

Use a spray sealant for the fabric joints. Water will run down the hard-top and along the fabric covering the pull-out bunks. The water "will" find a weak spot, usually right above your head while sleeping.

Make sure the snaps along the edge of the pull-outs are kept clean and use a bit of WD-40 to make connection and removal easy.

Since it's a small trailer, it probably doesn't have brakes. This will place an extra load on your tow vehicle brakes.

Put together a "pre-flight list", including checking brake and turn signals, chains hooked up, tongue lift fully up, all fasteners tight, etc.

Practice maneuvering and learn how to back into tight spaces. Good place is a large parking lot with no vehicles around. That is if you aren't experienced hauling a trailer.

RenStarr

I like that front deck.  That will come real handy for additional transportation storage.

I've owned 2 pop-up campers in my life and the single biggest issue is water/moisture getting into places you don't want it.  Keep a can of that spray sealant in the trailor at all times and use it often.
Academy has some spray sealant in the area they sell boots.  It's made for weatherproofing boots.

One suggestion that I would make is this:  If the unit gets packed up wet or damp (it will happen if you use it often), set it back up asap once back home and let it dry out for a day or two.  And if it's kept outside, one again set it back up after a big rain and air it out.  Condensation will happen, especially during the warmer months. 

Enjoy!! 
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night