News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Weaving

Started by Drudonn, August 05, 2010, 09:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drudonn

I got a roll of yarn a while back, and I've been weaving it on a loom I made from a piece of cardboard. I like to work on it in my spare time, and when I finish the weaving, I plan to stitch it up into my Bag of Holding to wear at TRF. It's not the best picture, seeing as I took it from my phone...I need to find my real camera!!!

LadyShadow

Looking good.  Although I never would have thought about using a piece of cardboard instead of buying a loom.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Rani Zemirah

Very nice!  Looks like you're about to run out of yarn, though!  Have you ever done any weaving before?
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Drudonn

This is the first weaving project I've ever done. I've got plenty of yarn, I just do it in small bundles like that because I can't get a full-size roll of yarn through  :D

I'm a college student--I have no money to buy a real loom! But I did have a large piece of cardboard left over from the packing my desk came in. So I figured this would work as well as a real loom--of course, I can't do anything very complex...for my first attempt at weaving, I'm making a simple bag to go with my wizard garb.

Rani Zemirah

It looks like you've got a beautiful start! I have a couple of suggestions to make it a bit easier for you, if you don't mind advice.  If you can get a yardstick from the hardware store, cut it in half and notch the ends of one piece about 1/2-3/4" in from the ends, use this to wind your yarn around and send through the warp threads (the vertical threads) as a shuttle (see pic).  It will keep you from having to cut and wind tiny balls of yarn, and also keep you from having to tie on in so many different places.  Next, round the corners of the other piece a bit and use it as a heddle (example is at top of loom in pic). Weave it all the way through the warp threads, and when you are ready to lift those particular threads you can lift them all at the same time just by turning the heddle on it's side while it's in the warp, then you can send the loaded shuttle through much quicker and easier.  It makes for faster weaving, if you want to finish your project sooner.

You're doing a great job, though, and if you're enjoying the method you're using then do it however you prefer!  Have fun!!!  :)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Drudonn

thanks for the tips! I'm just kind of making this up as I go along  ;D  I've never done a full project like this, and so I'm all for little tricks that make it easier.