News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pattern Organization

Started by LadyStitch, July 30, 2010, 08:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyShadow

They do offer online training, training (usually at a college) and computer cd training for all of Microsoft products.  As well as on the job training for some of us  ;D
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

LadyStitch

You can add hyper links to images in say you "Pattern Images Folder"  but they won't actually show up in the excel sheet.
(Sorry once a friend of mine showed me how to use Acess for my database work I have found I like it better than excel for that purpose.) To get it to work in Access but I had to cut and paste some code from Microsoft's tutorials into my data base to allow it to work. 
Now I have a form to enter all the information for the patterns on.  Then I have a report that I can print out a page for my catalog book.  I can also set up search parameter's so I can search the catalog for certain criteria. 

I would think you COULD do it in excel, but it would take some serious programing.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

DragonWing

I think my work will train me in Excel, but I think they will need a few more people to do so. I will ask.
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

LadyStitch

Over the weekend I did an inventory of my patterns and actually have about half of them in my catalog. 
I used access to make a form for me to enter each one into the spread sheet. 
I have a file which is relationaly linked to it so as long as my images and catalog are on the same network they show up.
I made a "page" which will create a page with all my patterns information AND image for me to print out for my  actually catalog book for me to take places.

I have to say the funniest part is trying to find which catagory & sub catagory everything should go under.   I have to say I have crossed the "I am a pattern nut" line when I realized I had to sub catagories my Ren patterns into which monarch's reign in order to catalog them all  ;D

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: LadyStitch on August 09, 2010, 10:20:42 AM
 I have to say I have crossed the "I am a pattern nut" line when I realized I had to sub catagories my Ren patterns into which monarch's reign in order to catalog them all  ;D

That is awesome! My patterns are completely unorganized at this point, other than the Margo's are in one fabric drawer, and the big three are divided into men's and women's. Maybe this winter, once I am finished for the season with ren-clothes, I'll finally get really organized. My sewing room looks like something exploded in it right now.

Sorcha

I'm still looking for a small and neat way to store the Margos.  I know some use an artist portfolio or between two pieces of cardboard...  I'm still looking for another <smaller> way that works for my limited space. 

Rani Zemirah

I was just thinking I'd list them by maker and number on a single sheet of paper, so I could take it with me to the store when there's a sale.  Obviously I'm incredibly small time compared to all of you who sew regularly, and up against the professionals here I'm not even on the screen!  You all inspire me, though...  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Adriana Rose

Well that beats the peas outta my ziplock bags and stuffed into a basket lol

Kate XXXXXX

My patterns (all 13 crates of them!) are organized...  I have archived patterns going back to the 50's, a box of 70's patterns, and later ones, all organized by date...  Those still more or less current, costume patterns, kids patterns, outdoors type kit patterns etc. all have their own boxes (but tend to overflow a bit!).  Each box is labeled.

Inside the boxes, most patterns are in zippy baggies that fit fairly closely, and have all the air squashed out so I can cram all the patterns into the box!  Many of my older patterns are cut out.  Newer ones (from the last 10 years or so) tend to be traced off, so have the traced pattern ironed flat and stuffed in beside the originals.  If this gets too bulky for the original baggies, or I have the same pattern in the same size range more than once, they go in bigger baggies.  I try to make a note on the bag of the sizes cut or traced.  Costume patterns are arranged by type and/or historical period.

What I DON'T have is an index!  One day I shall try to scan all the pattern envelopes/design pix and make an index!  But don't hold yer breff!  There must be a couple of thousand of them, both commercial and home grown.

LadyStitch

That is what I made over the weekend is an index.   Thankfully many of mine, even the vintage, have already been scanned and are on the internet.  Granted I'm doing it one box at a time.  I just have 5 boxs and 1 crate. 

My Tutor at school was rather insistant that all patterns be organized, as well as fabric.  She also wanted us to keep fabric bible of what fabric went with which garmet, and where we go it.  I have not gotten that nuts yet, but it IS on my list for all the stuff I've been contracted to do.

Kate XXXXXX

I've started my samples book for serger stuff again...  Seam type, fabric type, which machine, stitch settings, etc. and a samples stapled to a sheet and filed in case I need to do it again!

Dinobabe

Quote from: Sorcha on August 09, 2010, 02:47:02 PM
I'm still looking for a small and neat way to store the Margos.  I know some use an artist portfolio or between two pieces of cardboard...  I'm still looking for another <smaller> way that works for my limited space. 

Maybe this would work?

Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

LadyStitch

If I coudl find needles again for my granny of a serger I would like to start one of those as well.  For now I have just my general technique book.