News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Barbarian characters

Started by LadyStitch, June 04, 2008, 09:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

I was just hired to make 3 lady barbarian costumes, and at least 3 male barbarian costumes for an upcoming faire.  They gave me a budget of no more that 75 for the fabric/fur & notions.

Before I start this I wanted to pick your brains. 1) Would it be best to build these on top of bra's and bikini briefs, or from scratch IE make my own pattern? 2) Since the girls will need to run and jump around alot do you think I need to add extra support in there.  One of the girls is "well endowed".

Full Elizabethen, Victorian and Edwardian outfits are no problem but basic skimpy is giving me fits, go fig. ;)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

gypsylakat

I think It might be better to draft it either on top of a bikini or a bra especially if the girls need to run and jump... Especially if the one is well endowed.. I would go with a regular bra fit bikini or a bra for the fact that I am about a D and a half, and wearing a halter style swim top out of the water, gives me a crazy shoulder/neck ache. and that's without playing beach volleyball ;) You could however do a criscross back...

I know our local Ross has a bunch of low cost plain swimsuits out that could be easilly styled upon... I just got a lovely army green one and I'm putting a net skirt at the bottom.. YAY it will look cute....

BUt yeah barbarian, I've actually been pondering this... I think take a simple pair of sandles and Use leather criscrossed to Bind leather type stuff up to the knee, for the chest covering something fluffy/fuzzy like rabbit fur.

For the guys what about simple tunics patched with leather/fur?
Or shirtless with shorts/loincloths (WITH BRIEFS UNDERNEATH) with the boot things...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

LadyStitch

After talking to not only all of you but some of my local costumers I'm going to build the girls on top of comfortable flesh colored bra's, and the well endowed one sneak some kind of shoulder strap so that she isn't trying to hold it all up with just the bra. 

The guys are going to be in loin cloths. And yes I'm requiring briefs. No matter how cute you are there are somethings the curious grandma does NOT want to see.  :-\

I'm still working on the shoes but I like the idea of getting the really long laces and doing the criss cross.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.