News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Who is producing joust worthy armor?

Started by L Dale Walter, August 12, 2010, 11:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L Dale Walter

Looking for suppliers.  Any help would be appreciated.

L. Dale Walter
www.excaliburhorsecenter.com

Fred Piraux

Tricky !
You could end up with PLENTY of recommandations in less time that it takes to just say it !

Finding a "provider" is easy. Finding the one you need is a different call.

Parameters :
- USE : fantasy, LARP, Parade, SPORT Jousting, Re-enactment JOUSTING, Ren-Faire JOUSTING
- PERIODE : Early (shield, barrel helm, mail), Late (Full plate), Renaissance ( Full plate)
- MATERIAL : Mild, spring, stainless, riveted mail (flat, round, alternate)...
- ARMOURER : Jousting armourer favoured, they know why they make it for.
                    Off shelf, E-bay : never fit 1st time. Necessitate modification + talent to !
                    Chinese and Indian armourer : Good for mardi gras suits. They don't understand the use.
                    Cheap friend in his shed : we all know one. Why bother searching for advice then ? ;)
- BUDGET : Do not expect wonders for $1500 !!!!
                Sport suit will cost less but open less "invite" doors than re-enactment.
                Sport events are currently more numerous than historical.

On the budget side, can I invite you to consider the following...
Many of us started with local ressources and good friends'assistance. Investment xxx.
Then surfing the web you find a few pieces on e-bay : Investment xxX (Hey ! P&P + import taxes)
Unfortunately, those pieces don't match and more importantly don't fit.
So you pay (xx) the original friend to modify them.
You start lurking jousting forums and collect info. You finally get your periode choice together !
You realise that top-ranked armourers ask XXX for a basic suit.
You decide to go for that cheaper eastern country guys that someone mentionned (after all, he's european and must have access to plenty of ressources, right ?)
You get your suit for decent xXX but it still does not fit. You end up riding in it, leaving the greaves, the right gauntles and a fiew other lames in the box !
You're know the proud owner of 2 1/2 suits that do not give you full satisfaction.
Then one day, you decide to enquire for quote with knowledgeable craftsmen.
Total : XXX
And you do the maths :  xxx + xxX + xx + xXX > XXX
You lost time, effort and budget to get your dream armour.

( We consider here that you own your equipment as you're not a joust troup employee riding in a generic loan. )

I'm voluntarily bitter here but it is only to serve the need for mental image.
I assume that many readers will recognize themselves.
Major reason we get it wrong from the start : we want everything NOW, not tomorrow !

Cheers,
Fred

L Dale Walter

Fred,

Thanks for the heads up.  I guess I should have been more specific.

- USE :  SPORT Jousting/Ren-Faire JOUSTING
- PERIODE : Renaissance ( Full plate)
- MATERIAL : Stainless (less upkeep)
- ARMOURER : Jousting armourer favoured
- BUDGET : I know what this stuff costs, and am willing to invest in it

>Major reason we get it wrong from the start : we want everything NOW, not tomorrow !

I have about a 10 month time frame.

L. Dale Walter

Sir Moostifer

this guy (in the red) builds to your order... from one piece to full sets, from show to full contact.

David Richard
davidrichard@suddenlink.net

or...

tnrichard@turner-industries.com

or find us at the Seadevil opening weekend TRF

Tell him Sir Moostifer sent you
Sir Moostifer
House of Moose
of Overton Village
Imbibo Insquequo Madidus!
Royal Guard
Kingdom of Onondaga

crazyrennie

There is also Noble armory-he is in Payson Az-

ladyharrogate

I work with a lot of jousters (making horse barding) who joust for a living and invest enough in their armor to have it insured LOL.  There are some really good armor makers and some really bad ones.  Glad to hear you realize the investment because bad armor and poorly fit armor can be the source of career ending injuries.  Not to mention, better to spend the 5-10grand on good armor than on hospital bills from poor armor that causes a bad break.  I will check with some of my guys and see where they get their armor.  I believe the name I've heard with the highest regard is a guy named Cory but I'll see if I can get his info and private message it to you.