News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where can I find a white hat and boots?

Started by Sir. Kindle, August 15, 2010, 11:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir. Kindle

Hello everyone,

I've had an idea for a pirate outfit for a little while now, which I'm finally getting around to put together. The basic idea is that I've seen plenty of pirates dressed all in black, but I've never seen a pirate dressed all in white. So, I've decided to rectify that by making a completely white outfit. I'll have gold trim and accents on everything, to add a little flare to outfit, but the focus will be on white. I've found a place that makes white belts and baldrics, so those are covered. I have a white shirt already and I don't think it will be difficult finding white pants. I also have someone in mind (from this forum) to make the vest, when I get to that point (and if she's available). However, I can't seem to find a white pirate hat or white pirate boots.

This is where I'm hoping all of you can help out. Does anyone here have any idea who, or where I can find, or have made, a white hat and/or white boots...the boots being probably my biggest concern, since I might already know a couple people who can make a white hat.

Finally, if I am unable to find white boots, do you think the outfit would work, if the boots where the only non-white aspect of the outfit? If so, which do you think would work better, brown, or black boots, since those seem to be the only colors I can find boots in.

Any ideas, suggestions, or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sir. Kindle

Drudonn

I think white pirate boots are going to be just about impossible to find...I would go with brown boots (the lightest brown you can find), and then add some gold to them--extra bit of leather for straps in the same color as the boots, with gold buckles--which you could then tie into the rest of your garb with the gold accents...for your vest, I would suggest a tan fabric with gold embroidery and brocade, just to make it all come together. That way, the brown boots aren't coming out of left field with an entirely white ensemble.  But if you can actually get white pirate boots, go for it--it sounds like an interesting concept!

gem

How big are your feet? If they're on the smaller side, you *might* be able to find women's boots in white, but it's probably easier to make boot tops, either costume ones that look like spats... or ones that you build up permanently on the base of another pair of shoes/boots.  If you Google "boot tops tutorial," you should find hits that explain how to make them.

A quick search for white pirate/tricorn hats didn't turn up any specific examples, but I would think that any of the custom hat makers (La Paloma, Blonde Swan, etc) should be able to make one for you using a fabric of your choice.

I am also in the process of making all-white ensembles (like the movie "Much Ado About Nothing"), so I'm excited to see your progress on this!

Lady Kett

You can try Tall Toad for hats. That first hat has an option for White / Black / Gold (where White should be the base of the hat) but there isn't a photo of one that I can find. They are at MDRF so maybe you can find someone to go scope out the shoppe and talk to them if that's not near you or on your Faire list.

I'm thinking white boots will be nearly impossible too, but on the wild idea that there is such a thing for Men, try searching for "go go boots". There are plenty that come up for women, although a lot are patent leather.

Good luck!

lady serena

Are you or friend crafty with leather? Here is a site that you would be able to make your own boots with a shoe for a base. You can get white leather from Tandy Leather factory or springfield leather co.
Here is the website for making the boots.

http://www.sithcamaro.com/boottut/
Guppy # 81
Fins up

Sir. Kindle

Thank you all for the quick responses.

As I feared, most of you are in agreement that White boots might be impossible.

To respond to some specific things...I'm a rather small men's size, so I have no problem fitting into women's boot. However, I have already looked at women's boots and didn't see anything that was piratey enough...at least not something that a man could wear. However, the idea of making a boot cover might work. In fact, I might even be able to modify a white women's boot, by adding some white as the fold over...of course, it's finding white leather that might be a bit tricky. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find white leather, I'd love to hear them.

As for using brown boots, I might have to go that root. I know a place that sells boot straps in white and they can add a decorative button to it, in brass. This might go at least a little ways towards hiding the brown boots. Adding gold accents to them might help also. I'll have to look into this more.

Finally, I don't know why I didn't look at Tall Toads...after taking a quick look though, it doesn't look like they have an actual white hat. However, they do have a mustard hat, which is basically gold. I suppose, if I can't find a white hat, they might be able to make me a gold hat. What do all of you think about wearing a gold hat with white trim, instead of a white hat with gold trim?

Is MDRF the Maryland Renaissance Faire? If so, my wife and I are hoping to go there on October 10, during Columbus Day weekend. My brother lives in Pennsylvania, so we are planning on staying there, attending the Penn. Ren. Faire on Saturday and The Maryland Ren. Faire on Sunday. If they are at the Maryland Faire, I might reach out to Tall Toads before I go and see if I can have something waiting for me when I get there.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. If anyone has any more, please feel free to share.

Sir. Kindle

Sir. Kindle

Quote from: lady serena on August 15, 2010, 03:39:52 PM
Are you or friend crafty with leather? Here is a site that you would be able to make your own boots with a shoe for a base. You can get white leather from Tandy Leather factory or springfield leather co.
Here is the website for making the boots.

http://www.sithcamaro.com/boottut/

Thank you Lady Serena, I must have missed your post while I was writing my response. Sadly, I have no skill in working with leather. However, I do know someone who works with leather, so maybe he can make some, although I'm not sure he's ever made boots.

Thanks for your response.

Sir. Kindle

Delireus

All I found were these white lace-up combat boots. http://www.sinistersoles.com/DISORDER-400-White-20-eye-Combat-Boots-p/s-demonia-disorder-400-boots-w.htm

Not exactly piraty but maybe?

I think that's an interesting idea. I keep thinking of this guy though:

http://media.heavy.com/post_assets/2010/02/0823/1265688849_russian-goth.jpg

But I'm sure you'll look much less creepy :) I just hope you don't have a problem with keeping your garb clean you know? Good luck!
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Lady Kett

Yes, MDRF is Maryland Renaissance Festival. Tall Toad is on the "way back far side". My calves still remember the hill around there! But I *LOVE* their hats!

Anna Iram

I did a quick search using "white cavalier boots" and found this:

http://www.highfiber.com/~bohemond/Bootshop/cavalier-page/cavalier.html

I imagine any good bootmaker could make a custom pair for you, though likely it will be expensive.

This place does custom pirate hats.

http://pyrate.org/piratehats.html

I can't speak for the quality, but they say they can make one of a custom fabric to match your garb. Might be a thought.

The brown boots and a brown hat loaded down with white plumes would look nice too. Looking forward to seeing your creation. :)

Sir. Kindle

Quote from: Delireus on August 15, 2010, 04:55:25 PM
All I found were these white lace-up combat boots. http://www.sinistersoles.com/DISORDER-400-White-20-eye-Combat-Boots-p/s-demonia-disorder-400-boots-w.htm

Not exactly piraty but maybe?

I think that's an interesting idea. I keep thinking of this guy though:

http://media.heavy.com/post_assets/2010/02/0823/1265688849_russian-goth.jpg

But I'm sure you'll look much less creepy :) I just hope you don't have a problem with keeping your garb clean you know? Good luck!

LoL, I'm sure (or at least hope) I won't look that creepy. The girl is the one that really freaks me out though.
I did see those boots, but they really aren't what I'm looking for.

Lady Kett: Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them. Hmmm....hills you say....that should be interesting. All the faires around here are pretty flat. I should be okay, but I'll have to make sure my wife brings more comfortable boots. The little mini golf event we did a couple of weeks ago really did a number on her feet because of all the stairs. I posted a link to the pictures in the photo forum under 'The 2nd Annual Pirates Day Out.'

Anna Iram: Thank you!!!! I'll definitely be checking them out. Those are the first white Renaissance Boots I've seen! I'm sure they can make pirate boots, if they can make Cavalier Boots. Thanks again!
As for the hat, this is actually one of the sites I was going to ask. The color selection that they post with the hats doesn't include an true white, but who knows...

LordPaulet

http://www.renboots.com/VirginQueen.html
Unlace the cuff and fold down and scrunch...insta pirate boot...

I am learning to block felt hats...I could possibly work out a really good price if you let me practice on you :D

If you want to spend several hundred...Im sure caribbean rose would make a lovely custom hat for you :D
http://www.etsy.com/shop/caribbeanrosepirate?section_id=6407922

Dinobabe

You could always buy a cheaper pare of boots and then paint/stain them white.

Go to Cowboy apparel stores for a larger boot selection, including Tractor Supply Co.  Even men wear white!

On Google I found a lot of short white boots, you could build from one of those.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Sidekick

Sir Kindle,

I don't know what your budget is, but you can always call CABoots.com. They have the custom pirate boots and they have white cowboy boots, maybe they can put something together for you.

Sidekick
Lady Kett's one and only

Anna Iram

The CaBoots site is a hoot. They have a whole page of Star wars/Star Trek and even Superman boot. :)

angusmacinnes

There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Sir. Kindle

Quote from: Dinobabe on August 16, 2010, 09:45:15 AM
You could always buy a cheaper pare of boots and then paint/stain them white.

Go to Cowboy apparel stores for a larger boot selection, including Tractor Supply Co.  Even men wear white!

On Google I found a lot of short white boots, you could build from one of those.

This is actually my favorite idea to try first. I already have some cheap boots that I could try spray painting white. If this works, it will save me quite a bit of time and money.

Thanks for the idea!

As for CaBoots and Son of Sandlar, I've thought of asking companies like these, I just fear the expense associated with making custom boots. I'll do it if I can't manage to find any alternatives, but it would have to wait until I have the money to commit. I'd rather try cheaper alternatives first, like painting boots white, before I spend a small fortune on custom leather boots.

Thank you all for the great ideas!!

Sir. Kindle

DonaCatalina

Not very helpful; but this is the picture that popped into my head when I saw the post.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Delireus

hah look! http://www.bytheswordinc.com/p-6153-mens-knightly-boots-34-1067.aspx

They go up to a size 14-15, but I dont know if they'd last for a long time, you know? They kind of look like rain boots.

But they are most definitely white.
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is