News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What order does it go on?

Started by Lady Anne Clare, June 04, 2008, 03:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Anne Clare

Ok, I feel absolutely ridiculous asking this, but here it goes:  What goes on first:  The stays or the farthingale?

I've been looking at tons of pictures online and I've seen it done both ways but I'm not sure if either way was for show and not practicality.  I thought that stays go on and then the farthingale goes on after.  Is there a right and wrong order to this?  ???

I think if I hadn't seen it done with the stays on second, I wouldn't be confused.

Thanks  :)
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

Margaret

Personally, for me it is farthingale goes on before the corset.

If there is a "have to do it this way", I don't follow it and by having my corset point over my farthingale, it allows me to tuck my bumroll ties under it.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

gem

I wear my corset *under* any skirts--primarily so that the corset can help support the weight of the skirts.  You might not appreciate having the top of the farthingale pressing into your waist by the end of the day.  Even an untabbed corset can take some of the pressure of all those waistbands off of you.

sealion

I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong way to do it but I wear my fathingale (when I wear one) over my tabbed corset.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Baroness Doune

Nothing comes between me and my corset except for my smock.
That's why I make boned tab corsets, because it takes ALL the pressure from all the stuff around my waist OFF my waist.

Some people also point (attach) the corset and the farthingale.  The only way to do this is to put the farthingale over the corset.

Overview of an Elizabethan Outfit

lys1022

Personally, when I have an outfit with a corset rather than the boning being built into the bodice, I put the corset over my farthingale.  It helps to keep the farthingale up, otherwise mine tends to slip lower through the day til I'm tripping over it.

Some say that the tabs help keep the weight of things off their hips, but my skirts always have grommets that line up with grommets on my bodice so that I can tie them together to keep the weight of the skirts off my hips and to hold my bodice down so it doesn't slide up during the day.

Besides, my corsets never have tabs as our faire is Henrician, not Elizabethan. :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

peggyelizabeth

I wear the farthingale on top of the corset as well.

One thing that I can't figure out is if a person's corset reduces the waist even a tiny bit, the farthingale being underneath wouldn't be tied at the right size and then would slip a bit. And that wouldn't be comfy or fun to deal with.

Margaret

I dont have a drawstring on my farthingale, I made it with a standard waistband and hook and eye closures.  So, when I put my corset over it, there is no added bulk or slippage.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

gem

Quote from: Baroness Doune on June 04, 2008, 05:43:28 PM
Nothing comes between me and my corset except for my smock.
That's why I make boned tab corsets, because it takes ALL the pressure from all the stuff around my waist OFF my waist.

Ok, but I'm a little confused by that link (I looked at it yesterday and decided it was too confusing to post).

First, she says that the corset goes on first, but pictures it *over*:

I'd think it would be fussy and difficult to squidge the top of the farthingale underneath a snugly-laced corset.  ???

Lady Anne Clare

Quote from: Baroness Doune on June 04, 2008, 05:43:28 PM

OMG, I've been looking for this page for the past 3 days now.  I have so many bookmarks for renaissance stuff that it got lost amongst them all. Thank you  :)

Lady Anne Clare

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Here is the order that I dress in after hair has been snooded, makeup for the day on, jewelry added....I do put on my stockings and Boots before everytrhing else!!!

1) The Chemise adjusted to the comfort level for me. Parlet also if I am wearing a low necked Chemise.

2) Drawers or Bloomers.

3) Corset that is tied to give me the desired flatness and still breathe.

4) Small Bumroll.

5) Farthingale.

6) Underskirt with Forepart.

7) Overskirt(if Bodice is a seperate piece.)

8) Bodice, then tied to have edges meet cleanly.

9) Sleeves when needed.

then come the accessories like the belt, fan, etc.

10) Headwear.

It takes me less than 45 minutes now to get fully dressed, where over an hour was the norm. Men have it much easier.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on June 09, 2008, 10:32:51 AM

It takes me less than 45 minutes now to get fully dressed, where over an hour was the norm. Men have it much easier.

If a gentleman is dressing in full Elizabethan proper, then it should take him just as long.  He has a shift, braies, stockings, peascod belly, doublet, britches that are pointed to the doublet (tied), cape, hat, and shoes.   The guys had just as many layers as the girls.   :)

verymerryseamstress

The big difference between men and women, though, is the time it takes to lace into a corset.  Men don't have to do that.  I'm with Lady Kathleen - I think men have it easier, too.  Hubby wraps a kilt and is done with it.  I'm still dressing long after he's on his way to the beer tent.   ;)
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

isabelladangelo

Quote from: verymerryseamstress on June 09, 2008, 06:46:25 PM
The big difference between men and women, though, is the time it takes to lace into a corset.  Men don't have to do that.  I'm with Lady Kathleen - I think men have it easier, too.  Hubby wraps a kilt and is done with it.  I'm still dressing long after he's on his way to the beer tent.   ;)

:)  I was thinking H/A.   Kilts  are a 17th c invention (as I'm sure you know ;) ) and probably not really worn by the upper classes.  It's really a class difference normally than a difference between Men and Women's garb.  Doing those points from the doublet to the pantaloons do take as much time as lacing a corset can. 

Also, it's easier to do a front lacing rather than a back lacing corset.   And if you are dressing as a peasant, it only takes me maybe five minutes to lace into my pair of bodices, put on my skirt, and be pretty much ready.  But then again, it only takes me 20 minutes to go full noble with back lacing.   
Side lacing is actually the hardest unless you pre-lace it with really long laces.