News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What order does it go on?

Started by Lady Anne Clare, June 04, 2008, 03:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verymerryseamstress

I'm a historical costumer.  Of course I know - I wasn't speaking H/A by any stretch of the imagination with regard to my post.  I was specifically referring to what most men wear to faire - not what men wore historically.  I believe Lady Kathleen was referring to today's men at faire, too, since she was comparing her personal dressing time to that of men, generally speaking.

Since the temps are usually 90+ at faire, hubby refuses to wear anything but a kilt.  He really doesn't care a bit about H/A, (nor do I, at faire) especially in the summer heat. 

The point I was trying to make  (and I think it's what Lady Kathleen was trying to say, too) was that generally speaking, men don't wear as much as women when it comes to dressing up for faire.  In the ten years I've been sewing for men and women, I've had hundreds of women order H/A nobility attire.  I've had a grand total of three men order H/A full Elizabethan ensembles. 

As for the time it takes to finish the points:  I know quite a few women who lace their bodices to their skirts to avoid gap-osis when bending.

I still agree with Lady Kathleen - men (statistically speaking as far as faire attendants go) do have it easier, and faster when it comes to dressing.  (At least the men *I* know and work with)  I've never met a man who took as long, or longer to dress for faire than a woman. 

I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

Master James

Will I don't know if I'd agree that the men have it easier if they are playing a noble.  Us noble guys have almost as much as you ladies.

Socks
Tights
Chemise
Breeches or slops
Doublet
Cape
Hat
Boots or shoes

And the doublet is always buttoned to the top so not much air up there whereas you ladies can have the tops open.

Now as far as Corset or farthingale first, my wife always puts on her Chemise and bloomers then the corset then the farthingale.  She has added som hook and eyes to her farthingale and underskirt and the corset to hook it all together and keep the farthingale and underskirt from coming down on her.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

verymerryseamstress

Master James wrote:  she has added som hook and eyes to her farthingale and underskirt and the corset to hook it all together and keep the farthingale and underskirt from coming down on her.

That's how I do it too, Master James.  It really helps keep everything together.

PS:  I applaud you for braving the heat!  I wish I could get my guy in a doublet!  But unless we move to the Arctic, and find a faire up there, he's sticking with kilts!   ;)
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

silverstah

Quote from: verymerryseamstress on June 10, 2008, 07:20:10 AM
I still agree with Lady Kathleen - men (statistically speaking as far as faire attendants go) do have it easier, and faster when it comes to dressing.  (At least the men *I* know and work with)  I've never met a man who took as long, or longer to dress for faire than a woman. 

*nod* I'll agree with this as well.  My husband - a bit of a metrosexual who generally takes longer than me to get ready for everything BUT faire - is always ready well before I am when it comes to faire.  He typically wears hosen, boots, slops, shirt, doublet, sleeves, belt/pouches, and hat.

I tend to wear middle to lower-class attire - so my order goes:

hosen
shoes
pantaloons
shift
corded petticoat
partlet (I point my partlet to my corded petticoat - it keeps the partlet in perfect place all day long!)
dress
sleeves
coif
hat

Even with this simple outfit, it takes me twice as long to get ready as it does my husband! 
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing