News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Coming for a visit??

Started by Sorcha, August 24, 2010, 10:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorcha

<pokes head in>  <looks around>
Hi all!

I'm up here in the land of MNRF.  I may have the opportunity to visit your faire this November.  I know that's a ways out, but I'm just looking in to see what's what around here, and maybe get to know some of you too.

If the stars align, DH (Rune here on the forum) and I will be there 11/6 - 11/7.   I see that's Highland Weekend.  I'm not sure I'd bring my Scottish Lass garb....  But I'll be bringing some garb. 

So tell me some about your faire!  If I only have 2 days and one of which I will be bringing my mother <read: No R-rated shows that day>  What should we see?  Do?  Buy?  Eat?  Drink? 
I'm especially interested in shows and vendors we don't have here at MNRF, if anyone is familiar with our faire.
I looked at some of the photos on the website and I'm not seeing a lot of people in garb.  Is that pretty common? 
Speaking of garb...  What's the weather like there for the first week of November?  I don't think I'd need to bring cloak.  True??
Do you guys have a daily meet up?  MNRF'ers have a daily 10am meet-up for breakfast beer.  Does anything like that happen?

What else do I need to know?

Hibernian

Well met and perhaps I should "hi y'all."

Its great that you're looking to visit us in Fairhaven. The village is just the right size for a weekend visit. With two days and a wee bit of planning you'll be able to sit, visit and enjoy all the entertainers without having to rush.

The entertainment directory will be posted in September, then we'll know who is actually here. The usuals include: Now keep in mind that everyone has favorites, but you should see The Tortuga Twins (we have the A team, the originals); Hey Nunnie Nunnie; Don Juan and Miguel (and of course Esmeralda); London Broil (always a hoot). In the lanes look for Sara Mullen on the harp. If Cast in Bronze is there, go.

About Mom, the only show to really avoid is the last show of the day for The Tortuga Twins. BUT, for anyone else, go see them during the day to get the feel (good show, audience participation, you'll laugh) and then on Saturday (without Mom) go to their last show. Get there early to get a seat otherwise you'll be standing until you fall down laughing.

Ignore the pictures, come in garb. You will not be alone. We have a great cast who loves to play with the visitors and playtrons. Don't know about any meet ups until we get closer. Keep a eye on this spot, we'll announce it. Inside you can always find someone down the hill, under the trees, on the corner near the Medeival Margarittas. Looking forward to seeing you!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

ladyharrogate

I'm sure you'll know several of the acts from Minnesota.  Terry Foy does Zilch here and of course Hey Nunnie Nunnie, Barely balanced is awesome.  There's Sara in the lanes and also Amelia the duck lady (a MN native and former court lady from your area).  London Broil is a must see!  Trying to think what else, there's so much LOL.  The joust is a different group of guys, a theatrical team.  They do a pretty good show.  Not to mention be sure and visit with the court and say hello.  We have a special love for all the MN folks since we shared a queen for so many years.  Hope to see you in November!

Angel Harris
Lady Harrogate

Sorcha

Airline tickets bought and suitcase is being packed!  We'll be there on the 6th and 7th!

I see a post below for a traffic aleart.  Is that something that's still going on?  We're coming from the Gastonia area.

I also see that Harris Teeter has discount tickets for $18.  I think there is a Harris Teeter by where we'll be in Gastonia.  Is there another place to get a better deal on discount tickets?

What else do I need to know?

Getting excited!!
Now...  Back to trying to find more room in the suit case for more garb.

will paisley

Quote from: Sorcha on August 24, 2010, 10:53:00 AM
So tell me some about your faire!  If I only have 2 days and one of which I will be bringing my mother <read: No R-rated shows that day>  What should we see?  Do?  Buy?  Eat?  Drink? 
I'm especially interested in shows and vendors we don't have here at MNRF, if anyone is familiar with our faire.
I looked at some of the photos on the website and I'm not seeing a lot of people in garb.  Is that pretty common? 

Vendors - New Pterodactyl Leather.  On the left hand side once you pass the food court and the Minstrel's Roost.  Boss Wench near the joust is probably worth a look.  There's also usually some very inexpensive leather vendors down by the end of the faire, past the Dutch Door stage.  For food, I like the crepes up near the front.  You also might want to find out who the artists de jour are, who normally play at the Royal Pavilion, also near the front of the faire.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Molden

The traffic situation should be all clear by now. DOT had closed a bridge on Poplar Tent road early in the season. It is open now (I crossed it two weeks ago...it's vera nic-uh!).

I'd say prepare for a chill - but being you're from Minnesota, it might be warm, if not delightful - daytime highs around mid-50's, overnight lows in the mid-to-upper 20's this weekend. Sunny tho... Still for us, that's a little brisk.

Cast in Bronze is here. Go. Hibernian did a great job of hitting the highlights. Not much to add there. The cast here is great fun and very interactive. And there are more than a fair amount of us who garb-up - so, yeah, don't let the photos fool ya.
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Sorcha

Sounds good. 
I'm getting excited!!!

Do you guys have a daily meet up?  At MNRF we have 10:00 Breakfast Beer.  We all meet up to see who's made it out for the day.  Some chit, a little chat...  Beer.
Anything like that there?? 

amy

I speak from my small experience...  I have visited once and will be back on the 21st... but Beer there is plentiful and lovely!  But Sunday the pubs don't open till noon.    I hate to sound like I can't make it till 12:00 but when you only have 2 days, I didn't want to lose any hours!  Do head down in to the glade with the trees across from the Joust Field.  You will find most of the R/Fers there and plenty of libation.

Tammy

I'll be there on the 6th!!! This faire is cozy and lively....I so hope you enjoy it!!!
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Hibernian

Looking good for getting there on Saturday!

If the weather holds I suspect it will be another door buster, which means traffic will be flowing but heavy. Get there a wee bit early to avoid the headaches and heartburn from the approach road to the site being only two lanes.

Lady Amy speaks the truth, the best place to find R/Fers and kindred spirits is down the hill, amongst the shade by the Medieval Margarita stand.

The good friar will be hearing confessions (I can be bribed for a lighter penance by the use of Guinness) in the afternoon. Molden, you pyrate, I've reserved an entire hour just for you!  ;D

Molden

Quote from: Hibernian on November 02, 2010, 02:58:40 PM
Looking good for getting there on Saturday!
The good friar will be hearing confessions (I can be bribed for a lighter penance by the use of Guinness) in the afternoon. Molden, you pyrate, I've reserved an entire hour just for you!  ;D

'twil be Grand t'see ye again Hibernian. I don't know about confessions - last tyme I confessed I was accused o' braggin!  ;)
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Sorcha

Ooo!  Do I get to meet the infamous Molden?!?   :D

Suitcase is packed!  Mostly garb...
All checked in!

Okay... We'll head down the hill to the glade and look for R/F pins and familiar faces.
It's Highland Weekend.  So look for us on Saturday in Dress Thomson tartan garb.  Rune in a kilt and I will be staying warm in 3 yards of tartan.
<--- Sunday I will be in green.   Rune with be in a blue doublet.  I could only find one of our R/F pins though.  :-\

EXCITED!  ;D

Hibernian

Current weather forcast:

Saturday, Mostly Sunny, High of 53.

Sunday, Sunny, High of 59.

For the first timers to Fairhaven this means the morning may be a bit nippy, mid day should be fine depending upon the wind conditions. Looks like a great weekend!