News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My first kilt!

Started by Dustin, August 24, 2010, 11:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin

I ordered my first kilt yesterday. It's a Black Watch Thrifty Kilt from StillwaterKilts.com - and it shipped within an hour of my order. I ordered the kilt, sporran, sporran hanger, and flashes. The price was definitely right. I already have a belt that I bought from Excalibur Leather at Bristol last weekend. I'll post pictures when it gets here, and let you know what I think about my new kilt.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Francisco Paula

I have this same kilt and love it. I wore it the first time to faire in like 95 plus weather and it was great.

Zardoz

Good for you! Can't go wrong with Stillwater Kilts, great value at very reasonable prices!  And Jerry's shipping speeds bend time and space, I think he ships most stuff before you order it!
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Nighthawk

Quote from: Zardoz on August 24, 2010, 05:12:08 PM
Good for you! Can't go wrong with Stillwater Kilts, great value at very reasonable prices!  And Jerry's shipping speeds bend time and space, I think he ships most stuff before you order it!

That's no joke! The first kilt I ever bought for myself was a Stillwater heavyweight. They're excellent value for the money. Just one little suggestion... The acrylic that the thrifty kilts are made from burns- voraciously. Trust me, I know from experience. Keep it away from any and all open flame! I highly reccomend their heavies, though- those are awesome! Can't wait to see your pictures, too.

Dustin

It arrived in the mail today. Boy, was that fast! I'm busy taking the tacking stitches out of the pleats, and I plan to wear it out to dinner tonight. Any suggestion on a shirt to wear with it for casual wear?

Zardoz

Quote from: Dustin on August 25, 2010, 02:52:25 PM
It arrived in the mail today. Boy, was that fast! I plan to wear it out to dinner tonight. Any suggestion on a shirt to wear with it for casual wear?

Told ya' the shipping was fast!

I'd just wear whatever shirt you'd normally wear for "casual wear". I'd likely go with a polo this time of year.
IBRSC# 1619,

Dustin

I'm wearing it now. It fits great. I decided on a navy blue henley t-shirt, the kind with buttons, matches the blue in the tartan. Wearing my new kilt, my new 2" Excalibur Leather belt, my new Stillwater sporran, and my new Stillwater sock flashes. I haven't decided on footwear yet, either my Birkenstock-like sandals, or these brown leather low top hikers I have.

Zardoz

sounds great Dustin, what are you running for socks?
IBRSC# 1619,

Dustin

Quote from: Zardoz on August 25, 2010, 04:03:27 PM
sounds great Dustin, what are you running for socks?

Some thick greyish-black work socks. I couldn't afford to add kilt hose to the order.

Francisco Paula

I am looking to buy my second kilt have been looking at stillwaterkilts nightstalker kilt in there standard kilts but also with finding out i have a couple clans in me i am looking to have a kilt from the Macfarlane tartan which covers both clans.

Dustin

The only clan I've found for me (McNew/MacNew/MacKnew) uses the Edinborough District tartan, which is awfully pricey most places.

Zardoz

On not ordering the kilt hose; I remember when I got strarted with kilt wearing, just you get used to having paid $XX for the kilt, you realize you need another $XXX worth of stuff to look right wearing it!  :o

I have quite a few pairs of hose from W.Brewin Sock Co. http://stores.channeladvisor.com/wbsocks/Kilt%20Hose/
They are not heavy duty wooly hose like granny knits, but a good quality reasonably priced option, and nice in warmer weather. A pair in Navy and in Bottle Green would match the B/W kilt pretty well.

Dustin, Don't know what "awfully pricey" is to you, but USA Kilts can do you their "5 Yard Wool" kilt in the Edinburgh Ancient (13oz) tartan for around $320- $350 depending on your size.  you might check them out, http://www.usakilts.com/store/5yardwool_kiltpage.php
You might also look at some of USA's "Semi-Traditionals" in a 'Universal' Scot tartan like Caledonia, Holyrood or Isle of Skye .
IBRSC# 1619,

Francisco Paula

I have looked at usa kilt and they have great reviews but for me to get an 8 yard kilt of one of the Macfarlane was going to run around $550, i also got a quote from a company that was at a highland games a few weeks back for the same thing but at $350. For me its do i go with someone i know people have ordered from and have great reviews or someone at a festival that was doing good business and what he had there was great quality.

On another note i have the estes park games coming up in september so i could wait and see what is there.

Zardoz

Garath; Well I've never ordered a Premium 8 Yard from USA Kilts, but $550 is not a bad price for a hand-sewn. Based on the 5 other kilts I have from them, I do know you'll get a good kilt for the money.  

There are places online I'd recomend like scotweb.com or scottishkilts.net that do nice 8 yard kilts for 350 -400 bucks. Sometimes the price depends on the tartan, there are a few different Macfarlane setts, some are likely more than others, depending on the weight, mill, popularity etc.. also, there are a ton of kiltmakers all over, I'd suggest lurking or joining a forum site like Xmarksthescot.com or thescotsforum.com and looking at the opinions there. More on that below....

Let me leave you with two cautions;
1. Whatever vendor you chose, be sure you are getting the tartan you want, order by the STA registry number if you have to! You don't want to pay for ordering Macfarlane Red and end up with Macfarlane Hunting two months later!

2. Be very careful who you order from, especially at games or Celtic fests! There are a bunch of good vendors out there, but there are some ripoff artists too. There's a company called 'Clansman Knitwear' that does a lot of fests, they also do business as 'Scottish Kilt Rental'. We hear about them all the time on the kilt forums, not fulfilling orders, not answering calls and emails, folks waiting a year to get the wrong kilt, etc. These guys have about the worst reputation of any Highlandwear vendor, but they continue to do fests and games around the country. I guess I'd run any 'new to me' vendors by the kilt forums or a Google search before I handed over my money!
IBRSC# 1619,

Dustin