News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My first kilt!

Started by Dustin, August 24, 2010, 11:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

Very nice, Dustin.  You look great!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

MacKee

Looking spiffy there my brother
The Order of Culloden Moor

Rosamundi

Aha! I was just about to post, "Pic please!" and there it is. Looks fantastic on you!
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

Zardoz

Looks nice Dustin! I really like the belt buckle.
One little nit picky piece of advice,  The low socks are cool with the casual look, but I wouldn't run the flashes with them. Wait till you get some tall kilt hose. 
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

LadyFae

As I told you in chat last night, Looking good Dustin!  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Dustin

Quote from: Zardoz on August 26, 2010, 10:00:23 AM
One little nit picky piece of advice,  The low socks are cool with the casual look, but I wouldn't run the flashes with them. Wait till you get some tall kilt hose. 

Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this game.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Celtic Lady

Very nice, Dustin. Glad you posted a pic.

Nighthawk

Seconded! Flashes don't look right on low casual socks. Otherwise, that's a good look.

Oh, and listen to what Zardoz says about vendors, as well. Zardoz iz wize; Zardoz iz good. I can't tell you how many times I've read or been told bad things about Clansman Knitwear. I have, by contrast, heard as many good things about USA Kilts. I am part of a Celtic wedding business, and I always recommend USA Kilts without hesitation. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but when it comes to Scottish clothing, you get what you pay for (Stillwater Kilts being the exception.)

So on the subject of hose- check these out:

http://www.sockdreams.com/products/diamond-rib-knee-highs

I know they're shown on lady's legs, but they make great kilt socks for the summer. I wear Lewis Rich in the winter and Sock Dreams in the summer. WB Socks kilt hose are certainly good, too, but they wear out really quickly with regular wear. And if you want to spruce up the inexpensive hose and make them look more formal, you could get some hose toppers. There are 2 excellent sources that I know of. First is Big Mikey Originals: http://www.bigmikeyoriginals.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1198414 I have 2 pairs from him. Second is Flamingo Kilts: http://www.flamingokilts.biz/4.html I have one pair from Flamingo. Only thing with Flamingo is that the lady who makes the toppers uses a lighter weight yarn. I prefer the look of the heavier yarn that Big Mikey uses. You can't go wrong with either, though, and both will make cuffs to match any tartan you have.

Zardoz

Quote from: Nighthawk on August 26, 2010, 06:00:29 PM

Seconded! Flashes don't look right on low casual socks. Otherwise, that's a good look.

Oh, and listen to what Zardoz says about vendors, as well. Zardoz iz wize; Zardoz iz good.
Wow! Thanks Hawk! :-[

Really though, I don't know if I'm wise or good, but I wear the kilt more than p*nts, so I've found stuff that works for me. Dustin is off to a good start and I think he knows the rest of us kilt guys are around to help a brother out! 
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Dustin

That's an Excalibur Leather belt that I bought at Bristol last weekend.

Francisco Paula

i think i should dig up the pic of me the first time i wore my kilt to faire. I didn't have a sporan so i used a gritchel bag as my sporan was interesting. For shoes i wore rope sandels

Nighthawk

Quote from: Zardoz on August 26, 2010, 10:48:25 PM

Wow! Thanks Hawk! :-[

Really though, I don't know if I'm wise or good, but I wear the kilt more than p*nts, so I've found stuff that works for me. Dustin is off to a good start and I think he knows the rest of us kilt guys are around to help a brother out! 

Yeah, I don't that you're wise either. It's s quote from some movie or other that I always thought was funny. You did give good advice on the vendors, though!

Quote from: Sir Garath on August 27, 2010, 09:15:14 AM
i think i should dig up the pic of me the first time i wore my kilt to faire. I didn't have a sporan so i used a gritchel bag as my sporan was interesting. For shoes i wore rope sandels

You know what? In spite of what certain old carmudgeons will tell you, that not wrong! I have a good friend who's right out the Highlands who wears a small possibles bag as a sporran. I mentioned to him once that the traditionalists I know would give him no end of hell for it. His reply? "F^&K the traditionalists! It works for me!"

Dustin

Well, at the Celtic Festival and Highland Games, I ended up buying a pair of navy kilt hose and a cheap sgian dubh. I want to eventually get a better sgian dubh, but this one serves the purpose for now. I also bought a solid navy tie to wear to a Celtic church service. I'll also be wearing the kilt, dress shirt & tie combo to the "Kirkin' O' the Tartan" next month. I should have new pictures to post then. Here I am from the Celtic Festival, where I was doing demos with a Medieval/Renaissance living history group.

Not the best picture, but I am holding a pretty cool weapon.

Nighthawk

That's a good look. Basic and simple is always good way to go. Lacking period footwear myself, I tend to be a Redshanks- a barefoot Gillie. One of these days, I'll get a nice pair of Argyle hose and buckle brogues. That's on my To Do list for next year...