News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Who has signed contracts for 2008

Started by Terry Griffith, June 04, 2008, 07:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Griffith

Sean and all.  I don't agree with the way things are being done but what do I know.  I do know that the PTB is looking to book entertainment that will be available for the whole run.  When they run out of people that can committ to all 13 days, they will have to return to the people that can do part of the run and fill the bill with different acts.  That's why many of you haven't been called back yet.

This make a great deal of sense for the cast but I don't see the logic with stage acts and buskers.  If anyone hasn't been contacted and told them that they can't be there for all the days, be patient.  They will get back to you.  I know it's difficult not knowing and people are looking elswhere and my advice would be to book what ever you get offered where ever pays a decent fee.  When they contact you to do a couple of weekends to fill out the bill of fare, you will have some leverage.  For most of you, if you would have been able to committ to all 13 days, you would be signed already.

It's not the way I would do it but I am not doing it and probably never will.  Book what you can and don't be disappointed about not being called yet.  Hang in there.

We also have a situation where the ED is busy elswhere.  Not the best situation and he knows it but I have his word that it will be different in the future.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

PesterTheJester

Terry this is where I have to counter your post unfortunately.  I and a good at least a few others I know of(and people I know Tom's talk to who I just don't know) ARE ABLE to work all of the days of the faire.  So unfortunately this argument doesn't hold much water.

Yes there are acts who said they can't work the run(I met one in VA) and got turned for that, but this isn't by far the sole reason for act rejection.

Tom's doing quite the amazing job considering his schedule.  He's gone to bat for ALOT of people(myself included), sadly though JP makes all the final calls.  I think everyone should be buying Tom a beer when they see him.

Also really....booking people in June & July(and soon to be august.  I mean there are august street cast auditions) for an August faire?  I really wish I had gone through all the talks I had with Tom in say Feb, so I could have booked elsewhere.  Luckily for me I have a day job still and this won't effect my life, I know others who can't say the same.  Both Entertainers and Vendors.  I learned my lesson and will be sending out media kits in Jan to many a festival that run in the July - Oct range.

Heh also I think I missed what "PTB" stands for ;P

Terry Griffith

Quote from: PesterTheJester on July 27, 2008, 10:56:19 PM

Heh also I think I missed what "PTB" stands for ;P

PTB stands for Pester The Bester :)

Actually, it's Powers That Be (AKA, He who shall not be named).

I did say "That's why many of you haven't been called back yet."  I know for a fact it is the reasoning behind some of the non-action.  The PTB (see above) still has the veto power for other reasons that we are not privy to.

PesterTheJester

Heh here I was trying to make it something Pittsburgh's Top Boss or something.

Yeah I have spoken to at least 1 or 2 people(heh one of which has the same last name as you) who can't do full run and that's why they've been turned down, but like I said I know probably more who are willing to do the run in full but were also turned down or just never had their calls returned. 

I'll be attending the first weekend definitly and any future weekends I can afford.  I still support the faire and it's performers & vendors even if I won't be working there.

Sadira

Rafi received his contract for street cast and I received 5 contracts to hand out to 4 new Gypsies and 1 for myself of course for a brand new Belly dancing stage show (insert applause here).  ;D

Mistress Charlotte

I just renmailed you this question!!  haha

Congratulations to the both of you!  I'm very excited that you will both be back.  How exciting for you about the new show.
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Mistress Charlotte

Quote from: Sadira on July 29, 2008, 02:15:33 PM
Rafi received his contract for street cast and I received 5 contracts to hand out to 4 new Gypsies and 1 for myself of course for a brand new Belly dancing stage show (insert applause here)APPLAUSE!!!!.  ;D
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Countess Westmorland

Quote from: Sadira on July 29, 2008, 02:15:33 PM
Rafi received his contract for street cast and I received 5 contracts to hand out to 4 new Gypsies and 1 for myself of course for a brand new Belly dancing stage show (insert applause here).  ;D

Awesome!  A belly dancing stage!  I can't wait to see you and your troup.   ;D  I am so happy to hear this, but will you still get to perform in the lanes when the Court passes you?
A little song, a little dance, a little rum down your pants!

Sadira

Thanks very much Charlotte!!!!

How are you? I would have said Hi sooner but I just finally got this account to work today :P

Anyway, HI!!!!

Mistress Charlotte

Hey back!!!!  Check your messages!!!
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Sadira

Quote from: Countess Westmorland on July 29, 2008, 02:31:01 PM

Awesome!  A belly dancing stage!  I can't wait to see you and your troup.   ;D  I am so happy to hear this, but will you still get to perform in the lanes when the Court passes you?

;) I definitely plan on performing in the street. I did ask Tom again about fire eating in the street though. Since there is now going to be a fire artist with a stage show I know there is some concern about stepping on toes. I'll let you know when I get an answer.

Professor M

Welcome back to the forum, Sadira!  And it's GREAT news that both you and Rafi are officially returning!  Oh, and the four additional belly dancers might be nice, too.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

FoxgloveLupine

Hooray for the return of my two favorite Gypsies....oh and Rafi too... ;)  Give Gimp a hug for me!
Foxglove Lupine
--------
Assassin for Hire
Queen of Kitty Shoes
Girl with the big lens
"Rude...Rude and not Ginger"

Lady Alchemy

Kilted One and I have been hired as the Middle-class Innkeeper and Seamstress.  Our contracts are going to be mailed to us very shortly.  Tom was going to give me a bigger role with a script however I am on vacation the week before during the intensive rehearsal time.
Tonight, Tom was hiring him a goodly number of casts for the streets of the shire.
I LOVE  You Marcus!!!!!

Terry Griffith

Quote from: Lady Alchemy on August 05, 2008, 10:02:38 PM
Kilted One and I have been hired as the Middle-class Innkeeper and Seamstress. 

Great!!  You both will be great additions to the cast and we all look forward to some good times in the lanes.  This cast is shaping up into one that will make this year's faire even better than last year's.  The two of you are perfect and I know from improv classes that you know how to play.

Welcome.