News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I need a serger!

Started by ArielCallista, August 26, 2010, 10:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArielCallista

I've used industrial sergers before, and will be for my fashion design classes. We had a meeting yesterday and they stressed how important it is to have a sewing machines, serger, iron and ironing board, and dressform at home...luckily I have most of these, but I need a serger. So what I need is help finding one worth owning for a decent price...I'm not positive on budget since most likely my parent will pay for it but I'm hoping to stay under $500 as much as possible, but still get something of reasonable quality...I don't really want an industrial machine...they don't really work for me whenI was want to leisurely sew....but if thas the best way to get a good deal o well...so suggestions on brands, models, and places to buy them please! Also any comments on the expeiriences you've had with any brands and such so I also know what to stay away from...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Lady Rebecca

I got my serger on ebay, since I was really on a budget. It works really well, though it's taking a break right now until I need it again. It seems to like to come unthreaded about every two projects I do. And threading it is a pain. But it was cheap, and it works. It's a Kenmore 3/4D and it cost me $80 including shipping.

gem

Long ago, Kate recommended the Brother 1034D, and I've had it on my Amazon wish list ever since.

Since then, it has gotten rave reviews on Pattern Review, and it seems like everyone who has one is really happy with it.

Wow! The price has dropped to crazy low on Amazon! I might buy one now, even though I don't really feel the need for a serger at the moment)!!

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-1034D-Lay-Thread-Serger/dp/B0000CBK1L/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IFKHQL12FQVXE&colid=38QQ6WQEGJTHW

ArielCallista

I've seen that one at Joann's before...I think it may be on sale too :)
Pretty. Odd.

Valencia

You might check on craigslist... I've seen sergers on there for $150, barely used (because they can be challenging to learn and use for non-sewers). I just checked, now the range is from $150 to $400 for industrial. It might be worth looking into.

Cilean

This is a great and informative response I had to re print for you!

Choosing a Serger
Here is the posting on Margo's Patterns Group that helped me decide what serger to buy.

QUESTION:

If I replace this serger, what brand would you recommend? What do you
particularly like about it? How many threads should it accept?

ANSWER:

I particularly like the older Baby Lock sergers, or the newer Baby Lock
or Juki sergers. Baby Lock made the first household serger in 1964,
Juki made theirs in 1969. They have clung closer to their industrial
roots, and seem to be the most reliable I have worked on (I have done
machine and serger repair for about 10 years, the last few a lot less
active.) There is also some crossover - many Simplicity sergers are
made by Baby Lock, and simply have another nameplate on them. Look for
Japanese make rather than Taiwanese or Korean. There are only three or
four serger factories in the world and those few factories make all the
sergers out there.

My customers had the worst problems with Singer (any model), Pfaff five
thread, Huskylock lower models.

Baby Lock did the two thread chain stitch and a two thread overlock on
their 1971 models - they abandoned the technology a few years later.
They couldn't find a way (this was explained to me about 8 years ago by
a BL tech when I was going through service training) a way to switch
from chainstitch to 4 thread overlock reliably. If I had unlimited
funds, I'd try their new Evolve (BLE-8). If I had to replace any of my
sergers right now with my budget (I seem to have acquired a bunch o'
BabyLocks at the moment) I'd buy the Simplicity SL890DK.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp03596-0491.html

It has the same industrial strength motor as my BL5380ED, it has dial
tensions (you can clean them more easily than lay in tensions, and you
can pull out on them rather than change your tension settings to pull
threads through. You can also bypass them entirely if you are using
decorative threads in your loopers.) It also uses industrial needles
rather than household needles. It means you have to buy separate
needles, but that those needles are made to go 1500 stitches per minute
rather than the 750 pm of the standard sewing machine. It's built in
rolled hem means that to change to rolled hem you only need to remove
the left needle (each needle has a separate screw - some sergers have
one screw holding both needles - nearly impossible to change needles
around.) and pop out the stitch finger that makes the full width seam.
You then tighten the lower looper tension and the basic changeover is
complete. No different needle plate, no different presser foot. There
are also great feet for this machine - piping foot is AWESOME for
making yards and yards of piping, blind hem foot really does make great
blind hems, and I don't use it really at all, but there is also a foot
for attaching beads and pearls to stuff. I think they look tacky, but
that's the handwork in me coming out. More than you ever wanted to
know (sorry).

I have no affiliation with allbrands.com, and I no longer have any
affiliation with BabyLock. Just a really happy customer/service person.

You could also see if one of your local independent machine dealers has
an older BabyLock used, or even eBay, but then you don't know how it's
been treated. Stay away from models BL202, 302, 402. Ideally you want
it to use needle style DC x 1F.

Lisa Browne
Lady Elisee du Lyonnais

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

ArielCallista

My sewing class has Juki machines in it...if I like them I may get an identical one since I would be familiar with it. My only concern with industrail is its lack of portability. I have one very small table for my sewing machine and no space for a large table. I would ideally like to have the machine I'm not using on the floor beside the table and easily be able to swap out which one I'm using on that small table. I think for that a non industrial is probably best for me. What brand is best for a non industrial serger? I will definitely check into where the model is made and make sure its japanese. How would I be able to tell if a singer is the same model with a different name plate as a baby lock?
Pretty. Odd.

LordPaulet

I use a Singer model # 14CG754 that I got from Joanns a while back....I havent had any trouble with the thing.  Once you understand the mechanics of how the serger works its a lot easier to trouble shoot...(like why your machine isnt chaining when it should be...) This serger has gone through many layers of fabric and I havent ever had to fuss with it much. No complaints from me about this Singer machine...

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

There are times threads break when serging. ALL sergers do it!

it helps to know how one's serger threads to remedy the problem. Which is why it helps to nhave an Owner's Manual when a problem arises.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on September 06, 2010, 12:03:44 AM
There are times threads break when serging. ALL sergers do it!

it helps to know how one's serger threads to remedy the problem. Which is why it helps to nhave an Owner's Manual when a problem arises.
I'm not sure if that was addressed to me or not, but my problem isn't that my thread is breaking - it's that the farthest right thread is somehow coming unlooped. In other words, my manual is being no help... :(

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

When a serger is not threaded correcctly, things will happen. They are fussy that way.

It happens to me on a regular basis. Frustrates the hell out of me.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Kate XXXXXX

It's a threading issue, not a machine problem.  Just unthread the whole thing and rethread from scratch, making sure that you thread the loopers in the right order.  Print out the threading diagram from the manual in an enlarged version, laminate it, and stick it to the bench beside the machine.  Practice threading in the colour codes used on the machine thread paths and you'll soon see where you are going wrong.

Some sergers are much fussier than others about pulling threads through, and really don't like it.  If you DO pull through, make sure the threads are frwwd from the needles the stitches form over FIRST.  And that the tension is off the thread...

ArielCallista

So now I realize I definitely want one that is easy to learn to thread, cuz I've never had to thread one before...tho I have used the several times...so suggestions on easy to learn brands/models would be nice too. I was at Joanns the other day and a woman was returning her serger cuz she couldn't figure out how to thread it...that concerns me a bit...it was a Singer Pro something or other...
Pretty. Odd.

LordPaulet

Ariel...
I have a singer pro.
It's REALLY easy to thread...its color coded and all...
I tend to believe people who have a serger bought for them or simply buy a serger cause they think they need one usually end up unhappy as they have NO idea what they are getting themselves into! lol

On the other hand people who have had some experience with a serger and know what their aim is for its use...dont usually have much of a problem.  ALWAYS make sure you follow the EXACT threading order prescribed in the book.  This means just because you know loopers come before needles you cant just thread either looper...it must be in exact order or your serger will not be happy!

Your manual is your bible with a serger....FOLLOW IT EXACTLY in ALL ASPECTS and you will usually get though whatever you need to.  When you become a bit more experienced then start playing with tensions and feed dog regulation and stitch length :D

I promise you if you heed and follow your manual the singer pro will not let you down (and it does really nice rolled hems for you with the use of its attachment called a spreader!!!!)

CapnFayeCutler

As for the far right thread coming undone...yep that happens all the time. Very frustrating because then you have to rethread the whole machine - I tell you what though, you learn how to thread your serger blindfolded after a time with this. :)

Mine only comes unthreaded like that when I don't have the tension right and try to sew something I shouldn't, or if I actually thread it wrong. Silly mistakes on my part. :D Thank goodness mine came with an instructional DVD that showed EXACTLY how to thread it, and it too is color coded! ^_^

I have this one (Kenmore #16677):

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02016677000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

It's identical to the Janome Harmony 9102D and I LOVE it. It also runs 70 bucks cheaper than its sister.

It also has a bunch of different feet you can get for it, too...granted if you don't already have them for your regular machine (darn it!) :)

I've used it on noble gowns, wench wear, and a certain fluffy layer cake dress... So far it's proven to be quite a work horse.
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE