News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wool question?

Started by LadyShadow, August 27, 2010, 12:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyShadow

Should you prewash/dry wool fabric?  Or just use it as is?  What about shrinking?
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

isabelladangelo

Yes!   Pre wash it with cold water and then let it air dry.   It will shrink!  But it's better to shrink before you cut it rather than after you've started...

act2redux

I bought and used tropical wool this spring for my tudor garb- shoved it in the dryer as well...I knew that if it got full of mud on a sat. that I would have to dry it or wear it dirty for sunday.  It didn't shrink noticeably, but as previously stated- better to let it shrink BEFORE you cut into it!!

gem

I always do SOMETHING with my wools, depending on what they are and how I plan to use them.

My standard is to throw the fabric in my dryer, on high, with a WET (not dripping, but not wrung out) towel, and let it steam in there for about half an hour. I've been doing this for years, but I recently saw it recommended on one of the prestigious sewing blogs!

If the fabric is a worsted and has a very smooth hand, like tropical wool, I will wash a test swatch with Woolite and see how it behaves (probably cold/delicate). Generally things come out fine.

LadyShadow

Great, thank you all.  Into the wash it will go  ;D
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Cilean

I wash in very hot water, and dry in the drier with a pair of jeans, then I do not dry with my dryer ever again. It will full or get the threads tighter so it will not fray.

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail