News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Enjoying faire while Working at it

Started by insidiousraven, August 26, 2010, 03:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insidiousraven

This is a question I have been mulling over for a while now.  I really want to work as a performer at the KCRF.  Every year, my boyfriend and I go and spend a day at faire, eating the delicious food and enjoying the shops and shows. 

As I applied to work this year, I realized that I would have to work every single faire day.  It is only 16 days, and there is no reason I wouldn't be able to work all of them.  My problem though, is that I still want to have that one day to enjoy the faire with my boyfriend.

What do you performers do that one day that all of your family and friends show up to faire?  Is it like a normal job where you can only give them a brief hello, then ignore them and continue with your work? 

Village Idiots - Kevin

Personally, I don't really stray too far from my area when I'm performing. Its really more out of personal preference to me...I need to remain somewhat in character, and its kinda hard with my real life girlfriend there, or my mother saying the way I talk is silly.
Kevin Starnes
Artistic Director
The Village Idiots
http://www.rennieidiots.com

dfloyd888

Quote from: insidiousraven on August 26, 2010, 03:47:31 PM
This is a question I have been mulling over for a while now.  I really want to work as a performer at the KCRF.  Every year, my boyfriend and I go and spend a day at faire, eating the delicious food and enjoying the shops and shows. 

As I applied to work this year, I realized that I would have to work every single faire day.  It is only 16 days, and there is no reason I wouldn't be able to work all of them.  My problem though, is that I still want to have that one day to enjoy the faire with my boyfriend.

What do you performers do that one day that all of your family and friends show up to faire?  Is it like a normal job where you can only give them a brief hello, then ignore them and continue with your work? 

I tell them that if they encounter me at faire in character, I am playing a role so won't be able to break character for more than a brief bit if no other patrons are around.  If pressed (and I have yet to encounter people who will press me on this, thankfully), I follow the advice that another forum user gave.  If someone is using my real name, say, "I'm sorry for the poor chap who looks like me" and go on.

GoldenGoose

Generally speaking "enjoy that one day of faire with insert person of significance" is why we go to OTHER people's faires, in other locations.

stonebiscuit

When my friends show up, I greet them in character and then continue with my day. I'll play with them, and encourage others to do so, but I don't understand why people think they can drop character the minute their loved ones show up. Occasionally mr. biscuit and I would take brief breaks together when we were both performing, or my cast friends and I would team up for patron interactions, but we remained in character when we were on site.

The entertainment staff may be ok with you missing a day, with prior notification and for good reasons (weddings, funerals, extreme sickness, etc) but I guarantee you that if you take a day off and then show up at faire as a patron, no one is going to be happy with you, least of all your fellow cast members.

Working faire isn't a social event; it's a job. Performing has its advantages, but it also means you miss out on things like the special day with your family and sleeping in on the weekends. That's the nature of the beast that is the performing arts.

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

The key word is WORK.  Working at a faire is work no matter how you slice it, may be more enjoyable then running a booth at the local strip mall,  or performing at a Bar Mitzvah, but work none the less.

And yeah, Faire Mgmt would take a dim view of you calling in sick/ailing/dead, and then showing up with your family.
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

insidiousraven

No where did I say that I would call in sick or not do my job if I worked at faire.  I was just asking what others do when their friends or family show up at faire. 

angusmacinnes

You stay in character.  If they cant except that then maybe you really dont need to be working at faire.  Like has been said it is a job and you will be expected to work.  Now, has that simplified it for you. And yes management of most faires do not like it when you break character especially in public. Oh and one more thing while I am on my soapbox.  If your working there you most likely will not have opportunity to enjoy it the way you do as a patron.  It is two different worlds. As Queen Margaret says "theater wins".
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

insidiousraven

Thank you Village Idiots - Kevin, dfloyd888, stonebiscuit and GoldenGoose for your kind and informative answers.  For the rest of you, I am not retarded, and I know what work is and how to do it well, and that a faire worker stays in character.  I was asking for personal examples of what people do when they are at faire and their family or friends show up.  Do they follow them around?  Do they stay in their one spot?  

If you have nothing but condescending things to say, and rude speculations to make, then I would appreciate you not reply.  If you have a story, or your experiences to share, that would be appreciated.

renfairephotog

Quote from: insidiousraven on August 27, 2010, 11:33:38 AM
Thank you Village Idiots - Kevin, dfloyd888, stonebiscuit and GoldenGoose for your kind and informative answers.  For the rest of you, I am not retarded, and I know what work is and how to do it well, and that a faire worker stays in character.  I was asking for personal examples of what people do when they are at faire and their family or friends show up.  Do they follow them around?  Do they stay in their one spot?  

If you have nothing but condescending things to say, and rude speculations to make, then I would appreciate you not reply.  If you have a story, or your experiences to share, that would be appreciated.

They enjoy the faire by themselves. They visit just long enough to to let us know they are inside they gates. It may just be walking by and waving.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

stonebiscuit

Here's an idea: my family used to visit around my sister's birthday, so I would talk to my friends who were performers, vendors, etc. and set up a scavenger hunt for her. Typically it would start with their tickets, which they would pick up at will-call. I would put a note in the envelope with the tickets, sending her to shows, various street performers at specific times, etc. I gave the targets further notes of instruction and asked them to make her do silly things to get them. It ended with her at the booth where she was to get her birthday present, which I would pay for in advance. Would your boyrfiend be into that sort of thing?

Carlthebarker

I've neer been able to get very far away from where I'm perfoming, and my schedule is usually pretty tight. Producers aren't very nice nor are entertainment directors. They treat you like cattle and want every penny out of you.

Then again I guess that's why we're there- to work  :o

Quote from: insidiousraven on August 26, 2010, 03:47:31 PM

GoldenGoose

Ouch. Carl, you need to work at another faire...not all of us are like that. Admittedly, with a volunteer cast and crew, my faire has to be a little more congenial and we naturally have more of a community feel, since we really are all in it together -- if we weren't pulling as a team, we'd never get the gates open. Our biggest problem is usually getting cast/crew to TAKE a break to see a show or get off their feet!

aerial angels

Since you really enjoy the faire day you have with your boyfriend, why not plan a visit together to another faire either before or after the one you're working?  Stay in a B&B, do the whole weekend - could be a really romantic getaway, and make up for not doing the usual tradition!

Rowan MacD

Since you would be a paid employee, I would assume the same rules apply as for any job.  
  If you have your heart set on the KCRF, perhaps you could specify a weekend or a date that you will not be working the faire, but just attending?  That way you are free to pursue your heart's desire, without the pressure or worry that you are letting someone else down, or are not doing your job.  
 Of course, if they allow you to do this, understand that you will most probably be paying gate to get in  ;)
  Good luck!

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt