News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Did I really make that?!?..."

Started by LadyStitch, August 27, 2010, 04:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

This past weekend I was de cluttering the garb closet when I came up with several pieces that I had made 5-10 years ago.  I'm thinking selling them as I never wear them anymore, but part of me is looking at them going "Did I really make that?!?

I never realized how far I had come until I looked at some of the work on the pieces. Are they still good, Oh yes, very good, BUT compared with the work I can do now..... doesn't look the same.

Also I'm coming across some "UFO's" (Un Finished Objects) that I'm not sure I want to finish because comparing the work from 6 years ago to what I can do now.  How unbalanced would the items look when half of it is old work, and the rest new.

So Ladies (and Gentlemen)  have you ever come across a project of yours when you have said to yourself,"Did I really make this thing?" And what have you learned since then that makes you think that.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Lady Rebecca

Definitely. When I was home a couple weeks ago, I was looking at some of my old high school projects. I think my prom dress was the worst one. I had made myself a dress for Winter Ball, but at the last minute, the prom dress I ordered was all wrong, with no time to get a different one. Top that off with my machine not working, and I basically took my ill-fitting winter ball dress, cut four layers of rectangular tulle, gathered them all and tacked them to the "waist" of the dress, then covered over the tacking with a sparkly ribbon. Add that to the fact that the waist was really a drop waist, most of the seams in the bodice were crooked, and the tulle wound up being a few inches too short, and it really looks ridiculous!