News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ebay Rare Book- "SIEGE WARFARE", 1st Edition 1670

Started by BubbleWright, August 31, 2010, 03:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleWright

A wondrous book, written in Latin, and having many illustrations. It is in very good condition for a book that is 340 years old. Wouldst I had the wherewithall to buy it... such is the fate of a pauper with the tastes of a prince. Check out link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Rare-Siege-Warfare-Military-Weapons-Navy-1670-/170533591347?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item27b4981933
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

DonaCatalina

I can't help but wonder if it looks a little too good. It would be a cool book to own, but I would want to see a 3rd party certification before I would be willing to shell out serious money for it.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

BubbleWright

I sent a note to the Ebay seller (Historyphan) to request info on the provenance of the book and if it has been authenticated. The statistics for this seller are impressive: a member since July 2004; 6,493 items sold; and a positive feedback rating of 99.7%. I think that speaks well for the seller's integrity. I will post his answer when I get it.
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Anna Iram

Apparently a successful siege of the day involved having a naked women and giant feathers aboard ship!   :)

*see the first pic, second row of page illustrations.*

Very cool find. I'd love to have a look at it even though I don't read Latin.

BubbleWright

I received the following response from Ebay seller Historyphan...

QuoteAuthenticity was verified several years ago. From the estate of a history professor as well. Remarkable condition. Guaranteed "authentic" or full refund.I do not ever sell reprints. Been selling antiquarian books for nearly 20 years.
   Antoine de St. Exupery

BubbleWright

Said Anna Iram-
QuoteI'd love to have a look at it even though I don't read Latin

I had a large collection of kite books which I recently donated to a museum. Many of the books were in foreign languages such as French, German, Hungarian, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, Japanese, Chinese, Finnish, Swedish, and even Hebrew. No, I can't read any of these languages... but I can read photos, drawings, charts, and numbers. An illustrated book in any language is a good book.
   Antoine de St. Exupery