News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Frog help

Started by Toua Taru, August 03, 2010, 11:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toua Taru

I'm planning on carrying Kukri dagger and I'm having trouble finding the right frog to use. A representative from Ravenswood Leather has suggested either a simple or an angled frog. But I'm not sure. Any other suggestions or advice?
Thanks in advance, Toua
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Nighthawk

What kind of attachment is on the back of the sheath- if any? A dirk frog might work.

Toua Taru

The attachment on the back is kind of flimsy in my opinion and when attached to a belt, because the handle of the sword is heavier it has the tendency to lean away from me. Granted that when I peace tie it for the faire it'll be better secured. The attachment is easily removed by sliding it off toward the narrow end of the sheath.

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Nighthawk

I would make something similar to that, but with a secondary support further down the sheath. That leather looks thin, man! I bet it is very flimsy!

Something more like this would work, too, I think:

If this were a route you like, I would use a threaded holder something like this, as opposed to the ring:

It's very adjustable, and is very stable.

Toua Taru

Yes, the piece I have now is incredibly flimsy. It almost feels like cardboard to the touch. :-\ I do like the threaded holder and I think something like that would work best. I was looking on the bythesword.com site and I was intrigued by a frog that would have the weapon sit horizontal across my lower back. (sorry I can't include a picture from the site, apparently where I work has deemed the site not conducive to work. I can post an image later.) Do you think that could work with this type of weapon?

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Nighthawk

OK, so I've been doing a little research. It seems that the hanger you have is close to being correct. It's just really cheaply made. It looks, from I've seen, to be about half as wide as it needs to be, which is why it hangs oddly. So if you want authenticity, then something similar, albeit wider, is the way to go.

By your description, it sounds like you want the kukri to hang like a Viking seax. Is that correct? That again should be pretty easy, I would think.

escherblacksmith

do you have more than one?  I always liked the idea of a pair of them hanging forward (like crossed pistol grips) right at the belt. 

probably not period, still like it.  In any case, I'd recommend getting a black leather belt (from goodwill or consignment) and trying different riggings (with tape or something) to see how it looks.  Then some glue and you should be good.

--

Toua Taru

@ Nighthawk: Thanks so much for the research you've done, it's really helped. This is a link to what I was thinking of doing: http://www.bytheswordinc.com/p-5525-dagger-backdraw-frog-20-037.aspx I looked up the Viking seax and it looks pretty similar to the look I'm going for.

@ Escherblacksmith: Oh my I would love to have more than one and having them hang forward....This will happen some time in the future. Thanks too for the advice, I'll have to try that too if nothing turns up before faire.

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Dragonlord

Could go with something like this.

Nighthawk

Quote from: Toua Sondokan on August 04, 2010, 08:51:38 AM
@ Nighthawk: Thanks so much for the research you've done, it's really helped. This is a link to what I was thinking of doing: http://www.bytheswordinc.com/p-5525-dagger-backdraw-frog-20-037.aspx I looked up the Viking seax and it looks pretty similar to the look I'm going for.

That again is the kind of thing that would be easy to do, and easy to customize.

***EDIT*** I think I sent you a personal message, but I'm not sure I did it right... Darned computer technology.