News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

H/A Becoming A Minstrel

Started by Cosima, June 04, 2008, 09:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosima

I'm currently attempting to gather some ideas for a period minstrel costume, or at least something that would be close to period. I'm sort of having trouble, because I'm not certain as to what class a minstrel would be considered, or if they wore special costumes specific to their professions. I've already looked at several portraits of musicians, etc., but, I'm not entirely sure if these are what I should be looking for.

So, basically, what sort of clothing would a minstrel wear?

gypsylakat

I've been pondering this lol, I sing so... yeah...

I guess it would depend on several things, are you a travelling minstrel? someone who plays in a court? obviously between the two would be a great amount of class/garb difference. I'd say you could go with anywhere from middle low class peasant to almost upper middle class if not higher depending on your favor within the court...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Cosima

I sing as well! I am actually putting together a minstrel-type lane and/or stage act at present, that I'm hoping to pitch to some shows for next year, and that's what the garb is for. The character I am going for would probably fall in to the category of fairly well received traveling minstrel, in favor with the court most likely for sake of the act. So, I suppose I was thinking a mid-middle class sort of thing. That still leaves me with the question of: 'What the heck do I wear?' xD

Terry Griffith

Cosima,
If you don't mind my throwing in my 2 bob, I have a few thoughts on the matter.  Other than being somewhat flamboyant to the extreme, I believe minstrels during the renaissance were much like musicians of today.  Some were wealthy and some were poor.  Some were successful which does not always mean wealthy and some were failures  which doesn't always mean poor.

If I may make a suggestion, rather that to start with the question, "What kind of garb?", you might start with "Who am I?"  There are several posts on the "Create a Character" thread on this forum that will help you form your persona.  It could be to either extreme but once you decide the person inside, the garb that you will feel comfortable in will emerge. 

I am an Irish Troubadour, a moniker that was stuck on me by a former E.D. but it gave me a direction to go in that allowed me to be unique.  I don't have to do the "Brit speak" of Henrican England because I am  an immigrant from Ireland but I am a favored musician of the King so my appearances in court require exquisite garb even though I spend most of my time in the pub with the commons.  I mention this to show you how diverse a character can be and the garb just reflects that diversity.

As our honorable E.D. always reminds us, "This is a Renaissance Festival, not the Renaissance".  Be comfortable, be lovely if that becomes you and most of all, have fun with it.  That will make your character appealing to the paytrons which is what will get you hired.

Good luck with it in any case.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Cosima

Thanks for the reply Terry. I have actually been looking through a lot of the links listed on the "Create a Character" thread already, and have found them quite helpful! I suppose I may be approaching the character a little backwards, looking at the garb first. The main reason I was asking around now is so that I could start working on it while I take care of the writing for my act. I suppose I just wanted a general look at what minstrels usually wore, so that when I had determined most of the fine details, I would know where I was at. Basically, the main thing I was wondering is whether minstrels typically had a specific style of dress that distinguished them as belonging to that profession, or if they more basically just dressed as befit their rank? A question which you've basically answered for me!

Thanks again for the encouraging (and helpful) post Terry. I'll be starting to fill out a character sheet here shortly as I continue to peruse through fairy tales and songs :D

Baroness Doune

The first link I came across showing the ranks of The Great Chain of Being which had a strong influence on the Elizabethan world view.
(It's one of those free websites, so it will shut down if too many people access it.  Looking for one that is not vulnerable...)

Minstrels would probably be on par with actors.