News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wing designs

Started by CelticOne, September 02, 2010, 01:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CelticOne

So I posted this on my facebook page earlier and some of you may have seen this there if so you can go ahead and disregard.

Anyways, I am looking at creating a fairy garb set and haven't really seen any wings I like out there so I am probably going to make my own. What I would like is opinions from other esteemed members of R/F on which design or designs you like best.

I figured the resting style of designs would be nice if I had to go into tight places to chase small children ect, but the bigger designs would be more fun and show off more color.

So without further ado here are my sketches..

Thank you saphire_glade for notifying me, I would have fixed it sooner but work called.
The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.

saphire_glade

Phoenix.. the photo isn't working... which means we can't see your wonderful sketches.

Also... I have found if they are smaller wings then it is still easy to chase the kids and everything. But if the bigger wings are made of the right materials I know a few of my secrets make them bendable and puncture proof so that I can walk through a forest with tight trees to get where I want without too much damage.

Things to consider:

Color
materials *fabrics? Plastics?*
attachment style *ease of removing and placing and how stable you want them*

If you can't tell I love the dragonfly shape, but have made typical tinkerbell and butterfly shapes. I am proficent with both fabric and plastics. But please fix the photo so that all my view the wonderful sketches hidden below the unhappy red X
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

CelticOne

Picture fixed.

Attachment style will be down the back of a bodice so that it looks more natural, as for colors fabric ect., I'm still working that out.

I will probably sneak over to Jo-Ann's this morning and see what I can find for fabrics if I find something I like i'll post pictures of it. I'll also probably get the wire for the wing armature ect as well so that I can at least get the prep work going.

Ideally what I would like to do is two sets of the same design, one outstretched and the other in a resting stage, but if I can't pull that off just one set would work for me. You know just so that I can wing it(sorry couldn't resist ;D) about what to wear on certain days.

Edit add:
Found some really neat chiffon-ish fabric at Jo-Ann's the other day, sunset colored with stars on it stars were black though so I'd mod those into gold or silver(or both). Also saw some fiber-optic hair thingys that might be fun to layer into the wings to make them pop a bit as the night rolls in as they light up and are avalible in several different colors.

CelticOne

Well I think I made a design I like, its somewhat a combo between butterfly & dragonfly and should look really neat with what I am thinking for a airbrush job on it. Pictures will be posted in a bit I need to redo the sketch as its really rough at the moment.

Now does anyone know any good airbrush artists in the Twin Cities area? I found one but he's in Nickelodeon Universe and I don't know(yet) If he'll do stuff other than shirts.

saphire_glade

Sorry I can't help with the airbrush parts. I am glad you found a design you like. I liked the middle one to the right personally.

I am guessing you have decided to go with fabric for a covering with the airbrushing effect. I can't wait to see them!
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

CelticOne

Scanned design, uploaded and here it is..

Its probably a bit big and its only one wing but its enough to get the idea of what the will look like. If I could find my colored pencils I'd color it too, but for that I need to check the storage unit.

Edit add:
Played with paint a bit but this should hopefully give you an idea of what it will look like completed.