News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wing debate...

Started by saphire_glade, September 02, 2010, 10:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saphire_glade

The new wings are here! well 3 of the 4 that are done so far... so 3 of 8 total.... but

I have new wings... well kind of. I am hoping to post pictures of them in my costume, but it probably won't happen before the weekend.

So Kat *Twig* helped me redo them. It was a wonderful gift... however.. after she gave them to me something about them bothered me. She has done a wonderful job with the paint and the shape... but there are these holes... literally holes in the wings. And it was a cool concept in the sample... but now that I have the wing, you can see more of the background than you can the wing... and I don't really like it.... at least I think I don't. So I was going to add blue cellophane in the holes... photos below...

So I am debating... add the cellophane to fill the holes or not? Now realize I took those two photos with my webcam in my dark basement... but yeah.. you can still see the blue I believe
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

Becky10

Wowza! I now feel an absolute need for wings.

I personally like the little holes, it reminds me of lace.
The blue does look nice though if you decide you just cant stand them ( i get the same way with stuff)  ;D
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

CelticOne

They are very nice Twig did a great job, I like the holes but yet IMHO there are almost too many of them.
The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.

renfairephotog

The holes are cool. I think you should wear them a bit before you do any alterations.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

bellevivre

here's a question- how do they lay on your back? out, or flatter as if closed?

thing is, if they are spread wide/up, holes are good because air will blow through them... I LIKE the look of the holes, but if I were to cover, maybe just do the regular iridescent over the whole wing, since a localized layer can be a weak spot that with wear might come lose/peel/etc.

um, and HOW COOL to have TWIG made wings!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

saphire_glade

I decided to put the cellophane in  mostly because while she did a great job, there was a slight mix up on the finishing techniques that required me to do some quick fixing on at like 6pm Friday night.  *I am sure they were the 3am I am too tired to figure out what I just did kind of thing, it was an easy fix but once I did it, I needed to decide cellophane or not, and she actualy approved the idea.

But bellevivre: as you can see from the photo they do not lay flat, they are out there for the world to see.

And yeah it is pretty cool. She forgot there were 8 not just 4 I had a good laugh and will be doing the other 4 myself, after I get some quick last minute instructions... mostly, which color did you put where again?!

:P

I hope someday to be able to make wings for another fairy and have them as beautiful as the 4 I just got. Now I hope they live through the abuse of a festival run that isn't even half done!
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

dbaldock

I saw you interacting with some children, and took several pictures on Saturday ... sorry I didn't remember your name and greet you.  You, and your wings, are very pretty.

(Won't be uploading the ~400 photos I shot until I can use a PC with broadband access (my parents use dialup with this PC))

You may have seen me around taking pictures --- I'm the middle guy in this photo taken by Terri Shultz.  (Thanks Terri!)

Take Care,
David Baldock

EDIT: Fixed typo.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

saphire_glade

Quote from: dbaldock on September 06, 2010, 10:26:32 PM
I saw you interacting with some children, and took several pictures on Saturday ... sorry I didn't remember your name and greet you.  You, and your wings, are very pretty.

(Won't be uploading the ~400 photos I shot until I can use a PC with broadband access (my parent's use dialup with this PC))

You may have seen me around taking pictures --- I'm the middle guy in this photo taken by Terri Shultz.  (Thanks Terri!)

Take Care,
David Baldock

I am so sure I saw you. Sorry I didn't get to say hi either. I get just so busy and well I can't stop what I am doing because the magic is there and you just have to go with the flow. hopefully there will be another day in the future to exchange pleantries in person!

dbaldock

Finally got the photos I took uploaded to my Flickr account:

Saphire_Glade
(Click on the image to see the full size 4288x2848 photo)

Saphire_Glade

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

Just realized that you were the Faerie I saw dancing with the Morris Dancers.  I shot these pictures from a distance, as I was passing by on my way to the other side of the Faire.

Saphire_Glade

Saphire_Glade

Saphire_Glade

Take Care,
David Baldock

saphire_glade

Wow: those are amazing pictures. Thanks. I try dance with them once a weekend. They love having me dance with them and I love to be able to do it. But until this year I didn't actually get to see the photos of what it looked like. Thank you so much!

Can I take and put them on my Facebook Fan page? or at least print them out and have them on my desk at work. There are very few pictures of me dancing, and even less that turn out that fantastic!

dbaldock

Quote from: saphire_glade on September 14, 2010, 09:40:13 AM
Wow: those are amazing pictures. Thanks. I try dance with them once a weekend. They love having me dance with them and I love to be able to do it. But until this year I didn't actually get to see the photos of what it looked like. Thank you so much!

Can I take and put them on my Facebook Fan page? or at least print them out and have them on my desk at work. There are very few pictures of me dancing, and even less that turn out that fantastic!

Thanks!

If I hadn't been in a hurry to meet my parents at the other side of the faire, I would have stopped and taken more (and closer) shots of the dancing.

You can use any of the pictures I've uploaded to Flickr.  I do plan to resize the MNRF photos for Facebook, and upload them to an album on my Facebook account ( http://www.facebook.com/david.baldock ), but the full size images on my Flickr account do look better.

How do we find you on Facebook?  (I don't see a Saphire Glade when doing a search)

Take Care,
David Baldock

saphire_glade

Alright:

That is a  part of my full name. for the kids sake, I have my nickname of Jewel the Water Faerie for the facebook part and in general on stage. My like Twig is not just Twig she has that 4 part name.

As my full fairy name is Sapphire Amethyst Glade of the Water Faeries of the Swirling Pacific Oceans, but most peopel will just call me Jewel. And why Jewel for a nickname... that is simple my first and middle name are both jewels so that is what they call me Jewel.

dbaldock

Jewel the Water Faerie - found ya'!

http://www.facebook.com/jewelthewaterfaerie

Take Care,
David Baldock