News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What book are you currently reading?

Started by Valiss, September 13, 2010, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trillium

Yeah, I'm on the ghost king, transitions 3. Spell plague has hit.  Been a lot gloomyness for a while.   I suspect that's why I'm having a hard time with it.  Same reason I never finished game of thrones

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Got faerie dust?

RefMom3

I read an article by someone who is one of the major voices in Reader's Advisory in libraries, who said for every book she reads, she gives it her age plus 10 to capture her attention. After that many pages, if she is having trouble or isn't interested enough, she goes to another book.

RefMom3

Summer Reading Program time! Many libraries have this, and I think most have expanded it now to include adult reading programs as well as the ones for children. I just finished the 10-volume series by Candace Robb about the character Owen Archer, and enjoyed it very much. First one is "Apothecary Rose," and one of the side themes involves the role of his wife, who is an apothecary in York. I also just started a fantasy book called "Uprooted," by Naomi Novik. So far, it reminds me of a Beauty and the Beast sort of story, but there are other threads I see, too. It's partly influenced by Polish legends and folklore, and when my 24-year-old daughter read it (and she is an avid reader, and of Polish heritage through her dad), her comment was that the author was really straining to come up with names befitting a fantasy. I had just barely started it, and had to tell her the names weren't made up, they were Polish...

Merlin the Elder

Just finishing another King short story collection...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Jack Daw at Work

"Killing Reagan" by Dugard and O'Reilly.  I was disappointed as most of the information was derived from news sources I recall during that time.  It's a fast read.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Tamtaro

Just finished "The Diabolical Miss Hyde" by Viola Carr (forensic mystery, magic, steampunk London - a la Dr. Jeckyl & Miss Hyde).  "The Bad-^ss Librarians of Timbuktu and Their Race to Save the World's Most Precious Manuscripts" by Joshua Hammer is what I want to read next, but I'm on a waitlist for it.

I keep looking for perfect summer reading in one of those little share-a-book corner library boxes.  They're so cute! 

RefMom3

Every librarian is a bada**  librarian (Refmom3, MLS '84 ;) )
That looks like a great book; I bought it for our library, too. Another new one that looks interesting is Lab Girl, by Hope Jahren. Ditto "Grunt," by Mary Roach. Pardon; end of occupational suggestions.
Those little "library to go" boxes can be really cute. I think our outgoing director would have liked to have put up a few, but I suspect our town government would be less than enthusiastic.

Butch

Below the Surface, and Breaking the Surface.  Two books by Matt Heber, whom I met (and bought books from) at the KC Comic Con recently.  They held my interest.  A near future post-apocalyptic Earth where the humans live in the ocean.  Some sort of public unrest that leads to a revolution, and the story follows the main protagonists through their adventures.  I would almost call this a young adult novel series.

KeeperoftheBar

I just finished hehashing old history (sort of).. Exodis by Leon Uris.  Good book but I suppose biased to the Jewish side.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

RefMom3

I just finished The Hidden Oracle, book one of The Trials of Apollo, by Rick Riordan. It's a YA novel, from the man who wrote the Percy Jackson series, plus a few other series based in either Roman, Egyptian, or Norse mythology. The one thing that I liked about the books was that you really had to be familiar with the myths (and many of the more obscure myths) to understand all the whys/wherefores of the plot, and he doesn't take the time to give background info in the story. I thought it was very similar to the way JK Rowling used history, mythology, and word etymology, although I think JK is a better writer. It was a fun summer read ;)
But now I need something else...

Trillium

His Kane series is a lot of fun

Got faerie dust?

RefMom3

It is a lot of fun; one of my kids had thought she'd heard he was going to combine the Kanes with one of the other series, which could be interesting. Imagine the Egyptian pantheon vs. the Greeks...

Trillium

Another fun "kids" series is Fablehaven by Brandon Mull.  Rumor has it that it will be a movie at some point.  My entire family has enjoyed the series, including my parents and siblings.  Trying to convince my son to read it but he doesn't like to read... ???
Over the summer I found a fun mystery series based in a year-round renaissance festival.  Renaissance Faire Mysteries written by Joyce & Jim Lavene.  They seem to have a good feel for faire and its varied characters and attendees.
Got faerie dust?

RefMom3

I've read a few of those by the Lavenes. Enjoyed them, too.
It's entirely possible that your son just isn't going to be into reading, and that's just the way it goes. It's also possible that he hasn't found something that has clicked with him yet, or maybe there's a physical thing that makes reading more of a chore (for instance, has to wear glasses that always slide, which can be annoying). Have you tried audio books? Not everything comes in audio, but more and more titles do, including for kids. He might prefer listening; many of our patrons do.
You don't say how old he is, but a series I loved was about a 14-year-old boy in England who accidentally finds out that his father and uncle were secret agents, and he was being trained by them in "secret agent" ways. It's the Alex RIder series by Anthony Horowitz, first book is "Stormbreaker." A movie was made of it, too, which I think kind of bombed, but I enjoyed it.

Trillium

He has ADHD,  which I think is a big part of it.  And is totally engrossed in video games.   He does enjoy audio books when we can find good ones for his age (13).  He enjoyed Percy Jackson  and the Kane series.  He liked some of the Harry Potter movies and LOTR,  but can't get him to read the HP books.   Hopefully he will get into it more as he gets older.   My hubby didn't really enjoy reading until after we got together...

Got faerie dust?