News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What book are you currently reading?

Started by Valiss, September 13, 2010, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RefMom3

I wonder if he would enjoy the Charlie Bone series, by Jenny Nimmo? It's another fantasy series, about a boy who can hear people in photographs talking. I checked our library's catalog, and audio versions are available. You might try some classic lit, too, like the Oz books, for example. Many of those are available in audio, which is nice for having the option of reading when you feel like it, or listening when that's more convenient.

Jack Daw at Work

I recently acquired the iBook, "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson.  It's a non-fiction account of 2 Americans that find a previously unknown sunken U-Boat.  I haven't started it yet.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

RefMom3

I remember getting that for our library. Looked good, I thought. Hope you enjoy it.

I just started "The Princess Diarist," by Carrie Fisher. She had found the journals she'd kept while making Star Wars, and uses that as a framework for a memoir.

Lady Christina de Pond

Current reads( Yes I read multiple books @ the same time) are
Ciao, Bella from Ryan Phillips
For women only what you need to know about the inner lives of men. From Shaunti Feldhahn
I remember Love from Molly Hardwick
Hugh and Bess from Susan Higginbotham

Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

RefMom3

I'm halfway through The Saltergate Psalter, by Chris Nickson. Historical fiction, set in 1361 in England, and the sequel to The Crooked Spire. This author was mentioned by Candace Robb, an American author of another historical series I'd loved, and I'm enjoying this series as well. I recently finished several in a series by Shanna Swendson called Enchanted, Inc. Fun, fantasy fluff ;)

Jack Daw at Work

I'm reading, "Washington: The Indispensable Man", by James Thomas Flexner.  It's a dated book, first published in 1969, but it's a good biography on George Washington.  My brother also gave me two other bios on Washington for this last Xmas, which I intend to read one after the other.

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

RefMom3

Flexner was known for his Washington bio. I recently bought a book for my library called Never Caught: The Washingtons' Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge, by Erica Armstrong Dunbar. Our head of technical services, who catalogs the material, was not happy with me because she couldn't decide where it was supposed to go: African American civil rights history? Ona Judge bio? Washington's political career? There were a few places. I'm not sure where we finally decided to put it.

Jack Daw at Work

To get a well-rounded view of our first president, I'm currently reading, "His Excellency George Washington" by Joseph J. Ellis.  I had just finished, "Washington: The Indispensable Man" (an older bio) by Flexner.  There is less detail on his last two days of life, but more in the middle on his private frustrations with the British and his changing position on slavery.

groomporter

Re-reading American Gods before the TV series comes out.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

RefMom3

I just finished Curious Minds: A Knight and Moon Novel, by Janet Evanovich and Phoef Sutton. I'd never read an Evanovich before, but the word "Knight" will usually catch my attention ;) So did the name Phoef Sutton; turns out he has written a lot of TV, including for Cheers. It was about a very wealthy man who began to suspect his financial advisors of shenanigans, and the woman who worked for the investment company who initially was supposed to keep track of him and then report back to her boss, but realized that the guy was right. It was a breezy, fun, read.

Jack Daw at Work

My third and final biography on George Washington:  It's called "Washington - A Life", by Ron Chernow.  This is clearly the best biography on our first President that I have read.  I highly recommend it for its additional detail.

Jack Daw at Work

"A Cast of Falcons" by Steve Burrows, was a gift from my wife.  It's a birder murder mystery!!  I have only just started reading it.

RefMom3

Ron Chernow wrote Alexander Hamilton, and it was one of the primary sources Lin-Manuel Miranda used for the musical. Chernow has one coming out in October about Ulysses S. Grant. I wonder if Mr. Miranda will get an advance copy;)
I've had a surprisingly hard time settling on a book; I didn't even finish one during our summer reading program. Nothing was keeping my attention, for some reason. But I just started The Service of the Dead, by Candace Robb, set in York in 1399 (and accidentally brought home the second of the series, too, so I should be set for bit).

Merlin the Elder

Currently reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Methinks I may need to continue on with the series.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

RefMom3

I had seen that mention of that book, Master Merlin, and borrowed it for my Kindle, but wasn't able to get to it in time before it was returned. Worth it?