News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What book are you currently reading?

Started by Valiss, September 13, 2010, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

I've enjoyed it, but my taste in books is a little weird.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

RefMom3

And yet you are an enthusiastic reader, which indicates you find things that capture your attention. What does that tell you? ;)

Merlin the Elder

That I am weird? Hell's bells, girl! You already KNEW that!

Jack Daw at Work

"A Cast of Falcons" by Steve Burrows.  It's a birder murder mystery set in the Western Highlands of Scotland.  I just started it, so I'm reserving my opinion for later.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

RefMom3

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 14, 2017, 06:30:22 AM
I've enjoyed it, but my taste in books is a little weird.
What it actually tells me is that no matter your taste, there is something somewhere that will appeal to it ;)
I wouldn't say "weird." I'd go with "eclectic."

dbaldock

Quote from: Jack Daw at Work on August 17, 2017, 06:16:07 AM
"A Cast of Falcons" by Steve Burrows.  It's a birder murder mystery set in the Western Highlands of Scotland.  I just started it, so I'm reserving my opinion for later.

Looks like Steve Burrows has written at least 4 books, that are available on Amazon.
I may have to check out his mystery series.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: dbaldock on August 20, 2017, 10:19:55 PM
Quote from: Jack Daw at Work on August 17, 2017, 06:16:07 AM

Looks like Steve Burrows has written at least 4 books, that are available on Amazon.
I may have to check out his mystery series.

So far; so good.  (But, he takes a while to intro all of his characters.)

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

RefMom3

My daughter passed on a series suggestion that she had gotten from someone, after my daughter had suggested the Jasper Fforde "Thursday Next" series. The suggestion was a British author named Jodi Taylor, and the series is "Chronicles of St. Mary's." The first book is "Just One Damned Thing After Another." Madeleine Maxwell is a time-traveling historian working for St. Mary's, which is a research facility. Their job is to witness historical events, and record them if possible, then come back and show everyone what really happened at Agincourt, or the Fall of Troy, etc. A lot of fun, with a cafeteria-style dollop of historical study ;) I'm already in book 4, after only 2 weeks.
*Thursday Next is a "literatec;" the characters in books get a lot of downtime when the books aren't being read, and sometimes they get up to shenanigans and the literatecs get them back in line. Also a fun series, although not as lighthearted as St. Mary's.

Jack Daw at Work

"Washington" by Ron Chernow.  This is the third biography on the first president that I have read, and it is the BEST.  I highly recommend it.

RefMom3

Trillium

I just finished the St. Mary's series, stumbled across it at the library. I absolutely loved it! A lot of fun!
Got faerie dust?

RefMom3

Trillium, I'm assuming you meant the St. Mary's books by Jodi Taylor...? There are a few short story collections for St. Mary's that are really good. You might like 2 of her other stories, The Nowhere Girl and the Somewhere Girl. You think it's going to follow a formula, and then she surprises you.

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: Trillium on November 14, 2018, 01:03:08 PM
I just finished the St. Mary's series, stumbled across it at the library. I absolutely loved it! A lot of fun!

If so, Benedict Arnold's seeping leg wound would keep him out of all the choreography.

RefMom3

Back to the books...
Currently reading A Murdered Peace, by Candace Robb, who is fast becoming a favorite author. The latest in a series about Kate Clifford, set in 1400 York. Also, just picked up The Curse of Oak Island, by Randall Sullivan. A friend introduced me to the History channel show, and I ordered this for my library.

Merlin the Elder

Currently reading sporadically (I've been REAL busy) a novel by another local... "Ginger Snaps," by Webb Hubbell. Anyone else ever read him?