News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2008 Weapons Policy?

Started by Eric of Lyon, June 05, 2008, 07:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric of Lyon

There were rumors flying about last year that in 2008 peace tied weapons would be allowed.  Does anyone know if this is true?  I was unable to find any information regarding any policies on the new 2008Michigan Renfest site.

Also, anyone know (even if the weapons policy for this year is the same as previous years) if bows and arrows (with no heads) are allowed?

I'm considering adding a sword and bow to my persona, however I don't want to spend the cash if neither are allowed at festival.

Thanks in advance!

Eric
Fare thee Well.
-Eric of Lyon

Eric of Lyon

Peace tied weapons will be allowed.

I received the below email from Debra with Marketing / Promotions and this is what she said...

"...we will be allowing PEACE TIED weapons and Bow and Arrows without heads. I checked with our General Manager and she confirms that this is true."
Fare thee Well.
-Eric of Lyon

Katie Bookwench

Huzzahs and Kudos to you, Sir. 

You called the office -- you wisely WENT TO THE SOURCE and got the official word.

well done.  ;D

Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

They're letting them in this year?

Wow.

Margaret

GOD'S TEETH!!!

Graphicknight!!  Kudos to you for going to the faire management and getting your question answered instead of relying on the usual slew of "Well, I heard..." and "Well last year I got in" type rumors.

Thanks for posting the information for others as well.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

max and kate

Brethren of the Great Lakes
Outlanders
Castleteers
Irish Penny Brigade
M'Cracks

Lord Pumpernickel

Ever since the end of faire last year this rumor has been discussed many times and relentlessly, and always it was unresolved because of no official word. So heres to you for doing what should have been done months ago.

But I am excited that we can finally bring our weapons in. With all the extravagant outfits at faire it would deffently be interesting to see how people outfit them with a blade.

King Henry Tudor

First, a disclaimer.....The views expressed below are not those of Michigan Renaissance Festival Management but are my own interpretation and opinions on this matter.  No endorsement of Michigan Renaissance Festival Management is implied or intended.

Please keep in mind the standard RenFest definition of "Peace Tied" - the weapon in question (Dagger, Rapier, Broadsword, Claymore, etc) is IN A SHEATH and secured in such a way that IT CANNOT BE REMOVED from said sheath.  The most standard way to achieve this is with a strong NYLON ZIP TIE wrapped around or through the Dagger or Sword hilt and through either a hole punched in the sheath or wrapped around the belt the sheath is attached to.  This, the way I understand it, is what MiRF Management desires and what MiRF Security will be checking, looking for, and enforcing.

With that in mind, this year you may see those of us in the MiRF Guild of Grunt (Fight Team) walking around Faire with weapons that are not zip tied as described above but secured with a leather strip or thick lacing that is merely bow-tied or otherwise knotted.  This is because we have shows to perform with those weapons (specially made for stage combat) and need quick access to them.  We have been authorized to carry our weapons on our person secured in that manner.  We have been trained on this matter and are responsible for the safety of said weapon, it never leaves our side or our hand(s) during the time Faire is open.  This policy of non-zip tied weapons DOES NOT APPLY to anyone outside the MiRF Guild of Grunt, regardless of whatever training or experience you may have with stage combat or other weapons.

Please understand the rules and policies regarding weapons are created and enforced for the safety of EVERYONE at Faire, Cast and Patron alike, as well as to comply with the Festival's insurance carrier and whatever local laws exist.

We look forward to a fun season at MiRF with everyone, Patron and Cast alike, being able to display their own originality with costuming and accoutrements that are not only beautiful to look at but safe for everyone.

Sir William Sargent
Royal Court Ensemble
Guild of Grunt
Michigan Renaissance Festival
King Henry Tudor VIII
King of England and Wales
Mid-Michigan Renaissance Festival

nliedel

Faire managent annouced the change to allowing peace tied weapons at rehearsal yesterday. They will be doing the zip tying, with colors that have meaning. Season pass holders will get one color, cast another, etc. So, it's pretty dang official when the security talks to the cast about it.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Count Adolfo

Congratulations, folks!
I wish they'd carry this over down here at BARF!
Never know.  For those of us with a persona that really should have a blade on our waist... this is a great thing. 

Margaret

Quote from: Count Adolfo on June 08, 2008, 11:11:40 PM
  For those of us with a persona that really should have a blade on our waist... this is a great thing. 

Also means we lasses can now ask:  Is that your sword or are you just happy to see me? 

:-*
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

King Henry Tudor

Quote from: Margaret on June 09, 2008, 05:16:08 AM
Also means we lasses can now ask:  Is that your sword or are you just happy to see me? 

My Goode Lady Margaret, one be ALWAYS glad to see thee!

(Nay, 'tis not myne sword, Goodly Wench, we be very happy to see thee and standing at attention for thy inspection!)

King Henry Tudor VIII
King of England and Wales
Mid-Michigan Renaissance Festival

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: Sir William Sargent on June 07, 2008, 11:20:10 PM
With that in mind, this year you may see those of us in the MiRF Guild of Grunt (Fight Team) walking around Faire with weapons that are not zip tied as described above but secured with a leather strip or thick lacing that is merely bow-tied or otherwise knotted.  This is because we have shows to perform with those weapons (specially made for stage combat) and need quick access to them.  We have been authorized to carry our weapons on our person secured in that manner. 

You know, if you hadn't mentioned it, I'll bet very few, if any, will have noticed the difference as you pass by. 

However....

I will digress at this time, my good sir, and make small mention of a purchase I have recently made specifically with your sword in mind.

I'll say little more.... but that I (and whatever other ladies may be handy) intend to make good use of it this season. As often as time and circum........stance allows.  ;D
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

robert of armstrong

Humpff!  I was one of those "well, last year I got in..." rumor mongers.  I had thought that the photographic evidence I posted at the time, on those threads, should have been enough to sway some to believe in my credibility.

Sorry, my pride was a little dinted.  In my line of mundane work, credibility with evidence is everything.  I'll move on....

Huzzah to the Faire for allowing for this great step of progress.  And Thank You, nliedel, for posting the confirmation from the cast meeting.  This should put all else to rest.

The key now is to make sure that this goes off without a hitch.  I know that I am preaching to the converted here, but every step should be taken to ensure that there are no problems.  Please, follow whatever rules are set out.  Do not, for any reason, remove the peace ties whilst on the grounds.  Even after you leave, do not draw your steel until you are at your chariot, ready to stow it away safely.  Do not feel the need, just because staff cut off the ties when leaving, think that signifies the necessity for a clashing of swords in the parking fields.

It is key that there are no negative incidents of note regarding playtrons carrying weapons.  Only in this way can we show the MiRF management that they have made a good decision, and that this is a good path to follow.

Although staff will be zip tying weapons, I plan to trump their efforts.  Upon my arrival at the gate, my steel (each piece of it) will already be secured into their sheaths, and also to their frogs, with an industrial zip-tie, one of the ones with an aluminum band in the middle of the plastic.  That I plan to cover with a strip of leather about ¾ of and inch wide.  I will remove the leather at the gate for inspection.  After seeing what I had done, should they feel the need to affix a second tie, all the better!  I can go about the faire knowing that there is no way an ill-timed draw of a weapon could ever be attributed to me.

Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Margaret

Robert, please don't take umbrage.  I did not mean anyone specifically - I just know in the last thread on the old board there were several "Well, I did..." and "Well, I could.." type stuff tossed around.  With nothing like your photographice evidence to back it up.

And the rest of your post was spot on.  This is the first time in several years that MIRF will allow peace tied weapons.  Let's keep it safe out there. 
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)