News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2008 Weapons Policy?

Started by Eric of Lyon, June 05, 2008, 07:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nliedel

Our cast carries wonderous ID badges complete with our photos on them. So wrist ties are not used. Thank the gods, cause It would doth ruin the line of my garb. Not really, but I hate those things. Reminds me of being in the ER.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

AnyuBoo

Quote from: robert of armstrong on June 15, 2008, 03:55:16 PM
Quote from: Lord Pumpernickel on June 15, 2008, 03:33:46 AM
the possibility of someone else stealing your weapon while peace tied is minimum and nearly ignorable. To think someone will steal your blade while peaced tied is stupid and irrational.

And very rare is it that one forgets about the extended length of their blade that can hit others. I have yet to hear of a complaint of someone else's miss carriage of a weapon.

Seriously?

First, your first statement:

In all the peace-tie debates of old (from the old forums), the main argument against allowing weapons at Faires almost always reverted back to cases where weapons have been grabbed by a mundane who thought it would be funny/clever/whatever to take staff member's or playtron's weapon and wave it around, possibly injuring anothyer person.  If this happens, no more weapons, period.  Although mathematically the risk of having someone disarm another may be low, giving advice on futher minimizing risk is always a good idea.  What you are saying is that I am suggesting that people be too safe.  I'm not sure that is possible, especially where weapons and public places are involved.  To sugest that we ignore the risk that someone else may be irresponsible and do something dangerous is irresponsible in and of itself.  To suggest people ignore that possiblility is foolhardy at best.  Better to be safe than to be one of the defendants in a lawsuit where your weapon was used by another to injure someone.

And, your second statement:

I have had the good fortune to visit Faires for a few years with weapons-friendly and peace tie policies.  I have seen, and been vicitm of, people who have forgotten about their "hard tail" (never thought of it that way).  I have been struck on the legs by other's scabbards as they turn around without consideration.  Yes, it was a minor hit, just an inconvieniece, but one I could do without.  And if it happens to me several times a visit, I can only imagine I am not the only one being struck by accident.  And I have seen booths with breakables knocked over, with disasterous consequences.  Would you expect the vendor to cover the cost of your forgetfulness?  If you were the vendor, would you tell someone who broke several hundred dollars of you wares with their scabbard that it was okay, that you would eat the cost?

Unless I am missing something, I am being chastized for preparing some who have not have the experience of carrying to be aware of themselves, their environment, and the consequences.  I want there to be no complaints stemming from the new weapons policy.  Not a mathematically insignificant number of complaints, but zero.  See, compaints are things that get things taken away, and I hope that the new weapons policy works out perfectly so it can be a permanent fixture.

Sorry for thinking that a little preparation before hand wouldn't be too much to ask.

I completely agree with Robert of Armstrong.  When hubby decided to try wearing his sword with his garb, it took him quite a while to get used to the additional weight and to turn and maneouver in different ways so as not to hit people or things.  And I, too, have seen people, new to wearing swords, move very awkwardly.  Wearing a sword, even a fairly light and/or short one, takes quite a bit of getting used to, so much so, that I've decided to leave it off my pirate outfit entirely.
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Black Armor

Although I dare not agree with your reasoning and and precautions of carrying a weapon into faire. I do believe that it is an over statement of the natural reality. To put forth the statistics/physics and apply mathematics to the possibility of someone else stealing your weapon while peace tied is minimum and nearly ignorable. To think someone will steal your blade while peaced tied is stupid and irrational.......

True what we are granted is a privileged and we should prove we can handle the responsibility of carrying a weapon. When does it come to a point though we become overly worried that we destroy the enjoyment of the privilege and make the chore so hard to be exstreamly responsible that it annihilates the entire purpose of carrying the weapon.

I would suspect that your young age indicates inexperience as it pertains to the proper and responsible carrying of weapons at faire and you are just the person that this discussion is meant to educate.   

I made my statement as someone who carries a weapon every day as required by my profession.  I am well trained in "weapon retention" and well versed in the reasons for practicing it.  I personally have never had someone try to disarm me in the 10 years since I started in my profession but I am always aware that the possibility exists and have made it second nature to be aware and protective of my weapon at all times.  I do this not because I believe that everyone I meet is going to try to grab my weapon but because I realize that the possibility is always there and if that possibility becomes a reality, I am the one who is responsible.  I think that anyone carrying a weapon at faire should have a similar mentality even if the weapon is peace tied.  If they do, we will most certainly have an incident free faire.  I am happy that MiRF will be allowing weapons and I think that it will add to the enjoyment of our costumes.       

With that said, I am in no way trying to suggest that someone who wears a blade into faire is going be knocked down and their blade wrestled from its sheath.  The point I was trying to make is that people should realize that even though they are wearing a blade for fun and entertainment and as part of a costume, it is none the less a weapon and should be treated accordingly.  Treat your weapon as if it were not peace tied.  I cannot fathom that someone would strap any kind of weapon to their hip for any reason and then have the attitude that they don't need to be responsible for it.

Lord Pumpernickel, you stated that, "what we are granted is a privilege and we should prove we can handle the responsibility of carrying a weapon".  That is absolutely correct; however, your next statement implies that actually acting responsibly is so much of a burden for you that it destroys your enjoyment and "annihilates the entire purpose of carrying the weapon".  If this is true then I would suggest that you and anyone else who thinks this way leave your weapons at home or carry wooden ones.   

As it has been stated many times that it only takes one person, one incident to ruin things for everyone and I am sure that peoples' behavior will be closely scrutinized this season.  If (god forbid) there is an incident, I can guarantee it won't involve someone like Robert of Armstrong, Sir William Sargent, myself or anyone else who carries a weapon responsibly and in the manner that we are suggesting.  It most certainly will involve someone who is lax with the security of their weapon and who believes that the possibility of an incident occurring is "minimum and nearly ignorable" and giving any forethought to it is "stupid and irrational".

max and kate

Quote from: Black Armor on June 16, 2008, 12:04:04 PM
Although I dare not agree with your reasoning and and precautions of carrying a weapon into faire. I do believe that it is an over statement of the natural reality. To put forth the statistics/physics and apply mathematics to the possibility of someone else stealing your weapon while peace tied is minimum and nearly ignorable. To think someone will steal your blade while peaced tied is stupid and irrational.......

True what we are granted is a privileged and we should prove we can handle the responsibility of carrying a weapon. When does it come to a point though we become overly worried that we destroy the enjoyment of the privilege and make the chore so hard to be exstreamly responsible that it annihilates the entire purpose of carrying the weapon.

I would suspect that your young age indicates inexperience as it pertains to the proper and responsible carrying of weapons at faire and you are just the person that this discussion is meant to educate.   

I made my statement as someone who carries a weapon every day as required by my profession.  I am well trained in "weapon retention" and well versed in the reasons for practicing it.  I personally have never had someone try to disarm me in the 10 years since I started in my profession but I am always aware that the possibility exists and have made it second nature to be aware and protective of my weapon at all times.  I do this not because I believe that everyone I meet is going to try to grab my weapon but because I realize that the possibility is always there and if that possibility becomes a reality, I am the one who is responsible.  I think that anyone carrying a weapon at faire should have a similar mentality even if the weapon is peace tied.  If they do, we will most certainly have an incident free faire.  I am happy that MiRF will be allowing weapons and I think that it will add to the enjoyment of our costumes.       

With that said, I am in no way trying to suggest that someone who wears a blade into faire is going be knocked down and their blade wrestled from its sheath.  The point I was trying to make is that people should realize that even though they are wearing a blade for fun and entertainment and as part of a costume, it is none the less a weapon and should be treated accordingly.  Treat your weapon as if it were not peace tied.  I cannot fathom that someone would strap any kind of weapon to their hip for any reason and then have the attitude that they don't need to be responsible for it.

Lord Pumpernickel, you stated that, "what we are granted is a privilege and we should prove we can handle the responsibility of carrying a weapon".  That is absolutely correct; however, your next statement implies that actually acting responsibly is so much of a burden for you that it destroys your enjoyment and "annihilates the entire purpose of carrying the weapon".  If this is true then I would suggest that you and anyone else who thinks this way leave your weapons at home or carry wooden ones.   

As it has been stated many times that it only takes one person, one incident to ruin things for everyone and I am sure that peoples' behavior will be closely scrutinized this season.  If (god forbid) there is an incident, I can guarantee it won't involve someone like Robert of Armstrong, Sir William Sargent, myself or anyone else who carries a weapon responsibly and in the manner that we are suggesting.  It most certainly will involve someone who is lax with the security of their weapon and who believes that the possibility of an incident occurring is "minimum and nearly ignorable" and giving any forethought to it is "stupid and irrational".

Well said indeed.
Brethren of the Great Lakes
Outlanders
Castleteers
Irish Penny Brigade
M'Cracks

Katie Bookwench

To think someone will steal your blade while peaced tied is stupid and irrational.

Not true. There are lots of instances of people trying to draw or grab other people's blades. Wether or not they are peace-tied makes no difference. People can still be hurt by an attempt to draw a peace-tied blade.

Quote from: Lord Pumpernickel on June 15, 2008, 03:33:46 AMAnd very rare is it that one forgets about the extended length of their blade that can hit others. I have yet to hear of a complaint of someone else's miss carriage of a weapon.

Again, not true. I have been whacked in the shin or knees with people's sheaths on more than one occasion. And if it's knee level on me, it's face level on a toddler. With 20-30 THOUSAND people at fair on a given day, care must be given by everyone who carries a blade as they move through the crowds or someone will get hit-- at least once. And once is more than enough.

It is the same with women and hoop skirts. I can tell you from my own experience that I forget over the off season just how much space that takes up. I have been known to hit things with it--and a set of hoops are more likely to brush rather than smack a knee or a child if I forget and get careless while on site.

Then lets add in a little alcohol to the mix.... it can make a person forget things like having a 'hard tail.' This includes those who are normally conscientious with their blades. The Pubs are crowded....so extra care must be taken here as well. 

I don't think there's much danger with that....at least, for most people. With a little practice, though, all these 'arduous' trouble-preventing measures will seem second nature to you, and the status symbol of carrying steel will once again be worth it.
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

King Henry Tudor

My Friends,

It appears that we may have had a "Troll" post to this thread in the guise of Lord Pumpernickel.  He has not responded even once to the several replies since his last post, typical Troll behavior. 

I put it to you that WE are in the majority and the right here (and we all know it) and HE is in the definite minority and clearly in the wrong (and he knows it).  We will carry our weapons, gladly accept whatever peace-tied provision is enforced, act like adults and accept full responsibility for carrying our weapon, and, most importantly, HAVE FUN AT FAIRE!

Waste not another braincell, breathe, or keystroke debating Lord Pumpernickel's inane posts and consider this matter of the MiRF Weapons Policy well discussed and closed (three pages is quite enough I think).  I put it to you all - END this thread here and now, we have MUCH more enjoyable topics of which to open threads and have discussions.

End of Regimental Rant (and hopefully this thread).

Sir William Sargent
King Henry Tudor VIII
King of England and Wales
Mid-Michigan Renaissance Festival

nliedel

Having doth been duly chastised and not intending to carry a blade upon my person, since I would only end up stabbing myself, and believe me, I would, I doth do agree that tis time to move on to better and sunnier discussions. Perhaps about which blades those of you who carry same will wear about your person?

My own blade is a fifteen pound broadsword that I would not carry with me. My dress is fifteen pounds. That alone is enough for this lass.

In any case Sir William has the right of it, Fun at the Faire!!!!!! Although without my ale (cast member), it will be a fun of a mightily different sort this year. :)

serenamoonsilver

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the exact policy.  I was going to e-mail someone, but can't find an e-mail MiRF's website.  My male cohorts were very excited when I told them they could wear their weapons to faire this year.  But there are a couple things I want to clarify.  For instance, is ok to cover up the ziptie or must it remain visible?  And my dear brother, is doing a sort of viking/barbarian garb this year.  He'd like to wear his battle axe, but I have feeling battle axes are still not allowed because they can be sheathed.

King Henry Tudor

Quote from: serenamoonsilver on June 19, 2008, 08:42:31 AM
Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the exact policy.  I was going to e-mail someone, but can't find an e-mail on MiRF's website. 

Serenamoonsilver,

I don't know if they have the Weapons Policy for 2008 put to paper yet but try calling the MiRF Office at 800-601-4848, I'm sure someone there can answer your questions and/or e-mail you something.

We look forward to seeing you and your Viking hoard at MiRF!

Sir William Sargent
MiRF Resident Cast
King Henry Tudor VIII
King of England and Wales
Mid-Michigan Renaissance Festival

Black Armor

Agreed Sir William....

Quote from: serenamoonsilver on June 19, 2008, 08:42:31 AM
And my dear brother, is doing a sort of viking/barbarian garb this year.  He'd like to wear his battle axe, but I have feeling battle axes are still not allowed because they can be sheathed.

Good question.  I was thinking about wearing an axe because I thought it might be a little lighter and easier to carry, which would help since my costume is about 80 lbs already.  I believe I could make a nice sheath for it that would allow it to be secured with a peace tie though.

nliedel

I've seen some really good covers for axes made out of leather, but danged if I remember where. Which is less than helpfull, I know. If you can work with leather it should be easy to create one that would cover the blade and snap around the handle.

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: Sir William Sargent on June 19, 2008, 12:27:58 AM

End of Regimental Rant

Sir William Sargent

What? Sir William, you're....

REGIMENTAL?!?!

:o

(aka The Bookwench)

Margaret

QUICK!!  Get that man some boxers!!!      ;D
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

serenamoonsilver

Quote from: Sir William Sargent on June 19, 2008, 10:00:04 AM

It's not so much a hoard, just my brother.  Though he's quite a big guy, maybe he counts as hoard all by himself ;D

Thank you for the number, Sir William. 

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: serenamoonsilver on June 20, 2008, 08:31:49 AM
Quote from: Sir William Sargent on June 19, 2008, 10:00:04 AM

It's not so much a hoard, just my brother.  Though he's quite a big guy, maybe he counts as hoard all by himself ;D

Sounds like my sister, Mary Jane, who's a crowd all by herself....

:D

/looks around, making sure Mary Jane's not in earshot.

(aka The Bookwench)