News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Women's headwear

Started by Lady Ellie, September 14, 2010, 09:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ellie

Hello ladies and gents, I need some advice on headwear. I used to have long hair ( cut 10 in. off and donated to locks of love. ) Now it is short, about collar length. I have a snood but I'm afraid that it would look funny wearing it now.  I was at the hospital ( waiting on great niece to get here. ) and saw the guys and gals from surgery. I got to thinking about their hats. If I could find one in my garb color do you think it would pass ? Not going for h/a just to have fun. Would probably fix it up some how to make it my own.

Have a good day and thank you,

Ellie

auntiegiggles

Since you are not going for H/A - I think it would work.  It would be fun to decorate it and make it your own too!  Good luck finding one - if you can't find one in your color you can always dye it match or coordinate with your garb.  If you get it done you will have to post a pic of it so we can see it!   :D
Everything goes better with giggles

Rowan MacD

If you want to wear a snood (and make it look right) you can pick up a cheap hair piece at someplace like Sally Beauty supply and use it to 'fill out' the snood.  I used a bag hat or a muffin cap to cover mine when it was short. 
  My husband donates to locks of love too.  ;D
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Trillium

The hats the nurses wear are essentially muffin caps. I had to make one for work and they are simple.  I see no problem with you getting away with wearing one as long as your garb isn't too noble.
Got faerie dust?

gem

Ellie, I don't understand what kind of hat you're talking about. A surgeon's cap to cover hair during surgery?

Um... I suppose it sort of looks a little like the kerchiefs some guys wear as part of their pirate characters, but I think it would be hard to make it look like anything other than a scrub cap. And, of course, it would totally depend on what you were wearing with it. I'm finding it hard to picture how this could possibly go with any outfit you would have also worn a snood with, though.  I think I'm missing something.  ???

Unless you're doing Italian, women's hair was hardly ever visible. If you look at period portraits, most hats cover everything but a little bit in front. Which is great news for all the 21st Century women with short hair!!  You could always get a smaller snood to work with your shorter hair, and there are lots of hat options to wear instead (or WITH!) your snood: flat caps, muffin caps, cute little white cauls, gorgeous little escoffions. I mean, how adorable is this:

Essentially just a basic caul (circle of fabric gathered to a band), but made of pretty fabric and beads.

...And here's an excellent tutorial on how to style your (short!!) hair for that hat:
http://www.lynnmcmasters.com/hairdo.html
(The model's hair is barely longer than her chin)

And just because we can't get enough adorable hats, here's a H/A one from the Tudor Tailor book:
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL417/1033223/22511199/376230390.jpg

LOTS of options, and none of them calling for long locks!

Trillium

Got faerie dust?

isabelladangelo

Oh dear.  I really wish people would stop supporting Locks of Love.  I made the same mistake too many years ago and then I went online and read about them.  They only actually use 3% of the hair they get.   3%!   The rest they either throw away or sell for a profit.   They also do NOT give to people that have cancer, as most believe, but to girls that have a specific gene defect -which wouldn't be bad but they are so often advertised as giving to cancer victims and such when, really, they are more a warehouse for hair.  You can read a great deal about it on the longhair community on LJ.

Pantene has a good donation program.  

That aside, a decent coif (of which there are several extant examples at the V&A museum website) should cover any modern hair.  Also, in period, women did cut their hair either to sell it for wigs or due to fever.    It was very common.  

ArielCallista

Most of what they throw away isn't actually usable...You aren't supposed to donate hair that has been colored or chemically treated in anyway. Alot of people don't realize this and that is why alot of the hair gets thrown away. Of what is usable they use a decently high percent. They sell off most of what is too short because other places can use it. Its not specifically for cancer, its for children who have lost their hair due to medical illness and cannot afford to do anything about it. Most of them do have a specific genetic disorder but they do help others. My girl scout troop volunteered with them several years back so unless they've been corrupt since then I have no reason to believe you should not donate hair to them.

However, there are many other groups that are just as good if not better that specialize in other demographics such as women with cancer. If you want to donate your hair you should do your own research about who you are donating it to, and what they will do with it. You need to do what you feel is best for you.

Now if we could get back to what this thread is about...HATS! :)
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Becky10

Quote from: Trillium on September 14, 2010, 12:59:35 PM
I was thinking something like this:
http://www.surgicalscrubhats.com/servlet/the-5044/FLOWER-POWER-Surgical-Scrub/Detail

That was the same kind I was thinking of and it is a muffin cap, I dont know about in your area but at the southern cal faire a ton of people wear them esp. the food vendors.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Rowan MacD

Quote from: ArielCallista on September 14, 2010, 02:30:08 PM
Now if we could get back to what this thread is about...HATS! :)
Thank You.
Moving on... I had never seen that style of surgical hat (muffin style) before, but makes sense for longer hair.  It seems a bit small for a muffin hat so, I would still try to make one.
   It's not hard to make your own muffin hat, (great use for scraps if you sew) and you can embellish it anyway you want.  There are patterns for these and flat caps on the web.
   If you snood short hair and wear a flat cap, that works with Noble garb.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Adriana Rose

A pill box hat like the one that Gem has in her avatar with a smaller snood would be cute

gem

Or even without the snood! Last year (or the year before, maybe) there was a woman in the court at KCRF with short, dark curly hair. She wore a jeweled pillbox hat in the colors of her gown (royal blue, burgundy, and gold), and just left her short hair curled loosely underneath. It was ADORABLE! Not period, but too cute all the same. Alas, I never got a good shot of her.

Also, a pillbox hat is ridiculously easy to make. But the black coif from Tudor Tailor was even easier.

Lady Ellie

MS. Trillium, That is exactly what I was thinking of. My garb is not noble. ( Not Yet ) Thanks to you ladies for all your help.

Ellie

JJames

I think this would be a pefect headware option for my wife, as she has very short hair. I did a brief check and was unable to find this for purchase. Does any now where my wife could purchased this? Thanks.

Quote from: gem on September 14, 2010, 12:54:36 PM

Essentially just a basic caul (circle of fabric gathered to a band), but made of pretty fabric and beads.

...And here's an excellent tutorial on how to style your (short!!) hair for that hat:
http://www.lynnmcmasters.com/hairdo.html
(The model's hair is barely longer than her chin)

And just because we can't get enough adorable hats, here's a H/A one from the Tudor Tailor book:
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL417/1033223/22511199/376230390.jpg

LOTS of options, and none of them calling for long locks!

gem

It's one of Lynn McMasters' hat patterns:
http://www.lynnmcmasters.com/

Scroll down to "Cloth of Gold Escoffion."

But it's a really simple hat to make; you won't need a pattern:
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/headwear/caulmake.html

JJames