News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Freaking the mundanes

Started by DonaCatalina, June 05, 2008, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

At some point we've all had an experience of being somewhere outside of Faire in garb.
We visited a Faire pretty far from homeone year and stayed in a hotel. As we were going down in a group early Saturday morning we had to pass through the area where the other guests were having the breakfast buffet. Most of them were wearing casual clothes and shorts. As we passed one table with 2 older couples, one of the men commented "Ya'll ain't from around here, are you?"
It was all I could do to keep a straight face.

Do you have a funny story?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Capt. Morgan

This runs in conjunction with stupid things "danes" have said upon encountering people in garb.

While visiting our "Home" Faire only 40 miles away, we stopped to gas up the car on the way to Faire so we wouldn't have to do it on the way back. As I stood there nonchalantly filling the tank in my female Pirate garb a la Maureen O'Hara...a dane stopped and asked "You guys going to the Faire?" Without batting an eye I replied "Naw...we going to try out for "Okalhoma".

This senario has happened a few times so I alter my reply with "A Faire? You guys have a Faire around here? Sah-weet! Next time I'll dress for it...."
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

sarita420

It was very early on in our ramblings to Scarby.  I believe we stayed in Ennis that year.  Ennis is only about 20 miles--maybe even less to where Scarby is held.

We stopped in one morning for breakfast at Jack in the Box (or some similar dining establishment) and made the mistake of going inside to eat.

You'd have thought it was Roswell in 1947.  The people looked at us like we had two heads at least!

Capt. Morgan, will you be my scriptwriter?  :)

rengeek77

Okay, warning from the top, mine is kind of naughty, so I apologize (like any of you are easily offended, but just in case...)

We were in St. L for opening weekend this year, and we all went to White Castle in our faire garb after hours.  The place was hopping, until the 7 of us in our pirate garb stepped in.  It got really quiet, and after the usual snickers and rolling eyes, people slowly started to dissipate (the employees were great, and asked us a lot of questions, though!).  Somehow during the course of the meal we got onto the topic of MySpace, and the V**ina game (where you place that word in a movie title to make it funny).  We were not being overly loud, but laughing a lot as we proceeded to state our movie names--then my 13 year old daughter chimes in with Harry V*^na and the Chamber of Secrets, and earned a look of absolute disgust from a woman walking through the door right at that moment.  I am sure she just abhors pirates now.   :D 
Terrible Tess
Captain of the Gangrene
myspace.com/galleonsandgold
flickr.com/photos/prosperoandmiranda

rengeek77

Oh and yes, I am a very proud momma, let me tell you!
Terrible Tess
Captain of the Gangrene
myspace.com/galleonsandgold
flickr.com/photos/prosperoandmiranda

CatAshtrophy

We were getting gas about 15 minutes away from Scarborough and we were asked if we were going to a polka festival. I was in pirate garb and nothing about it said polka to me.

renren

Quote from: CatAshtrophy on June 05, 2008, 11:58:31 AM
We were getting gas about 15 minutes away from Scarborough and we were asked if we were going to a polka festival. I was in pirate garb and nothing about it said polka to me.

ROTF!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Spinster

ehehehehehe... This is one of my favourite pastimes. Usually I don't have to say a word. It's enough to pull into a gas station/restaurant/drive through window/bank/school/whatever in full garb with a spinning wheel and a loom strapped into the back of a pickup (when I still had one).
I've been turned into a cow. May I be excused?

VIII

In defense of said questioner, there is a Polka Festival in Ennis sometime during Scarborough.  Big Czech population over there.

While it is astonishing to me that there are still large numbers of people who have never been to Scarborough, it kinda freaks me out when folks say they have never heard of it!  But it does give me the Prime Opportunity to brag about Faire and, hopefully, get them interested.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

VIII

Alright, let's see who remembers this commercial.

I believe it was back in 1989, we were doing a one-weekend festival, the "Wichita Falls Medieval Fantasy Faire".  Exiting the hotel on Sunday morning, we passed by the restaurant area where everyone was having breakfast.  One elderly couple looked on in ever-growing astonishment at the parade of colourfully-garbed performers passing by.  As I was at the end of the line, Gramma poked Grampa repeatedly and pointed at me.

Decked out in my brightest and best, topped off with an enormous golden Imperial Crown, without stopping, I quipped, "Do try the margarine!"

The wave of laughter that rolled across the restaurant!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Lady Christina de Pond

ohhh man this season when i marched myself into Mcd's to get breakfast to go the look the lady behind the counter had was priceless i was about to ask if i had two heads
ofcourse even funnier was coming home afterward i stop to get gas. I had to go in and pay well since i'm on my way home all i have left on is my dress and my jewlery  and boots I've removed the cape and my bag as well as my sword and hat.  well i get up to the counter and the guy at the counter goes "choir practice"
i could see that if i had not been wearing boots but dressy shoes i go " Nope Renaissance festival" and flounced out
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Molden

VIII that was PRICELESS!

Mine was a couple of years ago, as with many others so far here, coming from Scarborough Faire. We stopped for gas about 50 miles north of Austin. My friend Shauna strolled on in to priv and grab a drink - in her chemise and leggings...which had a couple of "Bubba's" looking on from the gas pumps.

I get out of the car, fully garbed, take my sword and baldric, open the trunk and drop 'em in. I fill up the car and start to go inside the store as well. A few steps from the car...I remember, I better ditch some things before going in. The Bubbas are still watching. Pop open the trunk, take a pistol out from the back of my belt, drop it in, remove my derringer and another flint lock pistol, drop it in...pull the flask out of one boot, a dagger here, a dagger there...disarmed, I go inside. The Bubbas still haven't said anything and are standing there trying to figure it out.

Once inside, Shauna and I get our drinks and all - head for the counter - and parents who don't normally keep close tabs on their kids, are holding them close and looking at us like "please - don't do anything wierd! Don't hurt us...". I grinned at one frightened/freaked woman - then looked at her little boy and said "Normally I like the little ones...a lot..." then patted me stomach "but I'm a bit on the full side at th' moment." His eyes turned as big as saucers as he immediately hugged his Mom's leg!

We came out and got in the car...and the Bubbas were still standin' there trying to figure it all out.
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

beeboy

the people at the local hooters know that once a year...a group of kids dressed in ren will show up in mass to eat.  so there are all the workers showing off their hooters, and all the girls have their hooters displayed from their corsets

Capt. Morgan

Polka? Did you have a "dot" anywhere???!
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

CatAshtrophy

Nope no dots. It makes alot more sense now that I know there was a polka festival nearby. Thanks VIII!