News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Freaking the mundanes

Started by DonaCatalina, June 05, 2008, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaubon

Hard to even begin the list of places that I got stared at this year during Scarby. Let's just say that they don't see a lot of kilts in DeSoto and Red Oak Supermarkets. And they really don't see many of them at the IH 45 rest area north of Huntsville. I thought some of the young toughs were actually going to attack there.
On the other hand I left faire early on the second to last Sunday to go to a Roller Derby bout, they never even blinked, but I did have to explain that I was wearing shoes and socks several times.

jinx

I have a few, but I think my favourite was this past year.  Closing weekend at ORF, also my birthday.  After Faire, we (myself and my two closest female friends) wanted to get something to eat, so, after much deliberation, we settled on Pizza Hut.  Being around 7 pm on a Sunday evening, the place was totally deserted, which was nice.  We got some O.O looks when we walked in, then we were seated.  We heard a little bickering in the back, but, eh, we all bicker with people at work.  We're sitting there, waiting to make our order, and out walks Jimmy.  The pizza boy.  He couldn't have been much more than 16 or 17, and he had this HUGE grin on his face.  (We found out later that our server was supposed to have been a girl, but he won the argument.  XD)  Every five minutes or so, he was coming over to check on us.  Honestly, I've never had better service (except maybe the time my friends and I looked like Survivor castaways after a weekend at a music festival).  As we were getting ready to leave, though, came the crowning bit.  He kept stalling us!  "Here, I'll take your money to the register for you!  Would you like to-go cups?  D'you need another box for the leftovers?"  All the time with this huge grin.  He practically followed us to the car.  It was actually kind of adorable.  XD

There was also a wealthy (and snobby) looking couple coming in with their children as we left.  When the woman thought we were out of earshot, I heard her say "Can you believe that?!  I'll never understand those Mormons."  That made me go "WTF?!"
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Last year, we went to the Renaissance Festival at the Amana Colonies in May, where it rained so hard, after 1 hour of standing under a picnic pavilion with about 400 other people, we decided to leave and get some lunch in the downtown tourist area.

Steve had on his pirate garb, and I had on wench garb, with 2 overskirts, hat, pewter mug and pouch hanging from the belt -- the usual.  I was wearing a new bodice and looking rather "fluffy" that day in the "girls" dept.

When I went into the restroom, there was a line, so while standing there, a woman asked if I was Amish.  It was all I could do not to laugh and wet my pants, but I kept a straight face and just said "no."
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Welsh Wench

I went into the Circle K in wenchgarb for coffee and the guy in front of me bought my coffee because I looked 'fluffy'.

Another day, another stop to Circle K and a guy thought he'd be funny and say, "Hey, I like your tail."
So I turned to look behind me and screamed in a loud, hysterical voice, 'OH MY GOD! THERE'S A TAIL BACK THERE???'

What could he say after that?  ;D
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

eloquentXI

Probably one of my proudest moments was about three weeks ago, before Scarby was over, I had to do a project about Renaissance costuming. So of course, I had to bring in the garb and pull it all on for the spectacle of my friends.
Walking from the bathroom to my English class, I passed a couple freshmen and I swear, their jaws could have dropped to the floor and cracked they stared so hard. I practically struck a pose for one of them, with a great big smile and a swing of my tail. It was amazing.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

DeadBishop

Quote from: jinx on June 05, 2008, 06:17:54 PM

There was also a wealthy (and snobby) looking couple coming in with their children as we left.  When the woman thought we were out of earshot, I heard her say "Can you believe that?!  I'll never understand those Mormons."  That made me go "WTF?!"

The sad thing is,  while I was in garb I've had people ask me on two separate occasions if I was Mormon....seriously, WTF is right...

R/F.com member since 2003

Once Debauched

Quote from: Deadbishop on June 05, 2008, 08:50:53 PM

The sad thing is,  while I was in garb I've had people ask me on two separate occasions if I was Mormon....seriously, WTF is right...

I'm sorry, but that's just friggin funny!  Mormons! 

IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

CapnFayeCutler

It never fails, every time I stop somewhere in garb I get asked if 1 - I'm in a play or 2 - If I'm going to the festival. I've used the... "There's a festival!?" reply for number 2 a couple of times... but for number 1 I just tell them all about the faire and hope that they come. I think I like the answer I use for 1 better because hey! That brings more people (and $) to faire! :D
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

laedyfaire

very funny stories here.  I stopped once or twice in garb in New Paltz, NY, on the way to faire, and no one bats an eye. New Paltz is "avant garde" shall we say? and folks just dress differently anyway, all the time.

even at other places here in NY, no one seems to even notice...maybe it is a NY thang! :) LF

Captain Kilian

We've done the gas station thing, but the best looks, that my evil streak relishes, is loading up the car the night before. Often there are other people in our apartment complex, outside just hanging out, so there are witnesses to the car being loaded for TRF. First the camp gear, which is normal enough, and no one bats an eye. Then the mysterious large plastic boxes, then the sword, hats, and garb comes, which usually halts any chattering, and I get the most puzzled looks. I just wave, smile and continue, and usually by my next trip to the car, no one is around any more.

I must just be weird, if someone waved at me with a sword in their other hand, I'd go ask them where they got the sword!
"I'd like to thank all the little people...that just never saw it coming." - Me
Royal Order of the Landshark, Guppy 14

jinx

Quote from: Deadbishop on June 05, 2008, 08:50:53 PM

O.O

I'm going to make a sign for my car that says "Nope.  Not Mormon.  Try again."

I just don't understand how garb=Mormon.  O.o
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

LadyMorna

On the way home from our last trip to Scarborough Faire, we had to stop by WalMart in Bowie, TX to get something for dinner, as our cupboards were bare.  A little girl in a fairy princess/Barbie outfit kept commenting to her mother how much she liked my dress.  And the women kept staring at the legs of my husband in his kilt.  You don't see many kilted guys in Bowie!  (what a pity!)  When I took his kilt and shirt to the cleaners (also in Bowie), I explained to the lady behind the counter what they were. But when I got them back cleaned and pressed, the bill attached to them read, "skirt and blouse".

Lady Morna
Mistress of Conundrum Castle, Wife of Sir Marcas McLaren, and Lady-in-Waiting to two royal housecats

Lady Neysa

Quote from: VIII on June 05, 2008, 01:31:59 PM
Decked out in my brightest and best, topped off with an enormous golden Imperial Crown, without stopping, I quipped, "Do try the margarine!"
The wave of laughter that rolled across the restaurant!
Bwaahahahaha!!!  That was fantastic!!  ;D It's a good thing so many people got it or you would have gotten even more strange looks.

Lady Neysa

Quote from: Welsh Wench on June 05, 2008, 06:36:08 PM
Another day, another stop to Circle K and a guy thought he'd be funny and say, "Hey, I like your tail."
So I turned to look behind me and screamed in a loud, hysterical voice, 'OH MY GOD! THERE'S A TAIL BACK THERE???'
What could he say after that?  ;D

Oh geez, I almost just made coffee come out my nose! That was great!  ;D

SleepyArcher

the town I live in boasts we are the "Halloween capital of the world!" I work at a costuming shop over this time to help out. I usually where my ren garb (Usually pirate). On my breaks I walk around main street to get something to eat. Now people from around here dont mind. But I get really strange looks standing at a corner waiting to cross the street and I just wave to everyone. Nuttin like a pirate walking around the town. I start work beginning of October so for four weeks I get to do this, its so much fun.

I also like to wear my kilt on my days off (Utilikilt). I love the looks I get.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.