News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Freaking the mundanes

Started by DonaCatalina, June 05, 2008, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Starsong

While I don't have a mundane story pertaining to faire.. I go to Anime conventions often and we use the same terms. This past year I was in toronto (just back on memorial day accually) and me and my friends were starving. We decided instead of living off of candy, soda, and fast food we'd go somewhere a little nicer. So we went to Jack Astors (in canada this place is much much much nicer than our version). We walk in fully dressed up and are waiting to be seated...apparently either no one or not many other convention attendees went there for food because the place quieted down and everyone stared. So we get seated and after the waitress stares at us for a bit takes our drink order. Everyone is still staring, so one of my outgoing and loud friends with no shame stands up ON the table and says "Don't worry everyone its OK, we aren't here to hurt you, we are just going to exorcize some demons, starting with that family over there" then he continues to point to small family in the corner.

Shortly after the manager came out and asked us to leave....

Also we were dressed all in long black and white outfits, our characters were exorcists.

Normally I don't do stuff like that but I thought it was pretty funny, yet I was fairly embarassed...and needless to say we ended up having fast food lol
Yo ho Yo ho!

renren

Quote from: Clereon Swiftarrow on June 09, 2008, 06:32:45 AM
While I don't have a mundane story pertaining to faire.. I go to Anime conventions often and we use the same terms. This past year I was in toronto (just back on memorial day accually) and me and my friends were starving. We decided instead of living off of candy, soda, and fast food we'd go somewhere a little nicer. So we went to Jack Astors (in canada this place is much much much nicer than our version). We walk in fully dressed up and are waiting to be seated...apparently either no one or not many other convention attendees went there for food because the place quieted down and everyone stared. So we get seated and after the waitress stares at us for a bit takes our drink order. Everyone is still staring, so one of my outgoing and loud friends with no shame stands up ON the table and says "Don't worry everyone its OK, we aren't here to hurt you, we are just going to exorcize some demons, starting with that family over there" then he continues to point to small family in the corner.

Shortly after the manager came out and asked us to leave....

Also we were dressed all in long black and white outfits, our characters were exorcists.

Normally I don't do stuff like that but I thought it was pretty funny, yet I was fairly embarassed...and needless to say we ended up having fast food lol

Crap! how rude of the staff and paytrons there..
next time have some alka-seltzer handy, for that foaming at the mouth effect!LOL!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

cowgrrl

Al-Nimer & I were at the Lawton Ren Festival today & went into Lawton for dinner.  Al-Nimer was wearing his kilt & oh the looks & comments we got!!  A few hightlights:

Teenage girl:  'That's just freaky'
A group of middle-aged people just staring at him with this look of 'What is he wearing?!'
A Dad & little girl walking by & the little girls just stares!!

It was a great social experiment to stand back & watch!

AnyuBoo

Given that there are so many kilts out there, especially during Faire season, it's pretty amazing just how few people actually know what they are.   :D  (Even here, although the place abounds with pipe bands.)
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

jinx

I found out today that, sometimes, you don't even have to be in garb to freak the mundanes out a little.  All you have to do is mention Faire.

We have two managers at work that I've never really gotten to talk to, as one used to be third shift, and the other is brand new.  When I went out for my last cigarette break, they were both outside, and we just started chatting.  One of my other co-workers came up and asked if my new bodice had arrived yet, which brought up the subject of Faire. 

One of the managers said "What are you talking about?"  Since I'm always prepared and more than willing to gush about Faire, I reply "Oh, the Renaissance Festival."  In return, I get two looks of mixed confusion and horror, so I just stare back until one of them says "I had no idea you were one of -those- kinds of people."  Now, as this is the first time I've ever really gotten this type of reaction, I ask "What do you mean?"  Between the two of them, they stammered out the general Rennie stereotypes--pot-smoking hippies, stuck in fantasy, weird, mildly insane, out of touch with reality, horny, drunkards--basically a lot of rubbish (well, -some- of it could be accurate for me, but y'know.  xD).  I quickly corrected them, and generally let them know that stereotypes were not welcome, and that perhaps they should actually attend a Faire and see how horribly wrong they were.  They quickly left.  I had a good laugh over it, though.  Some people just don't -get- it.
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

AnyuBoo

Quote from: jinx on June 15, 2008, 03:23:33 PM
I found out today that, sometimes, you don't even have to be in garb to freak the mundanes out a little.  All you have to do is mention Faire.

We have two managers at work that I've never really gotten to talk to, as one used to be third shift, and the other is brand new.  When I went out for my last cigarette break, they were both outside, and we just started chatting.  One of my other co-workers came up and asked if my new bodice had arrived yet, which brought up the subject of Faire. 

One of the managers said "What are you talking about?"  Since I'm always prepared and more than willing to gush about Faire, I reply "Oh, the Renaissance Festival."  In return, I get two looks of mixed confusion and horror, so I just stare back until one of them says "I had no idea you were one of -those- kinds of people."  Now, as this is the first time I've ever really gotten this type of reaction, I ask "What do you mean?"  Between the two of them, they stammered out the general Rennie stereotypes--pot-smoking hippies, stuck in fantasy, weird, mildly insane, out of touch with reality, horny, drunkards--basically a lot of rubbish (well, -some- of it could be accurate for me, but y'know.  xD).  I quickly corrected them, and generally let them know that stereotypes were not welcome, and that perhaps they should actually attend a Faire and see how horribly wrong they were.  They quickly left.  I had a good laugh over it, though.  Some people just don't -get- it.

Wow, I've never heard THAT sort of reaction before.  The standard reaction I get is, "What's a RenFaire?"  Which is usually the point at which I start attempting to gain another convert to Faire.   :D
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

cowgrrl

Quote from: AnyuBoo on June 15, 2008, 09:56:49 AM
Given that there are so many kilts out there, especially during Faire season, it's pretty amazing just how few people actually know what they are.   :D  (Even here, although the place abounds with pipe bands.)

Well, to be fair, I don't know that I saw a real person (not in a book, TV, etc) in a kilt until I went to Faire 4 years ago.  Also, while Lawton is not a small town (Army base & a university there) lots of smaller towns surround it & some people in those towns 'don't get out much'! (I grew up in a 'go out to the middle-of-nowhere, take a right' town so I grew up with people like those of which I speak!!)

Aiacha

It's gotten to the point that we just don't freak anyone out anymore.  There was a group of us that would hit Ihop early morning on the way to faire for TRF, and we wind up with the same server that recognises us and knows where we're heading.

My newest freak out story was this past year with my captain after Scarby.  He was rather ... happy (read: drunk) and we stopped in the Pizza Hut at 287 and 77 to pick up a pizza.  Now we didn't order before hand so we had to wait.  And he took advantage of the time to extol the virtues of faire to the fairly freaked out mundanes also waiting for their order.  Whether he converted them or caused them to run screaming from the store I'm not sure.

Count Adolfo

OK, so I'm standing outside the men's room at a Flying J while Falcone is using it and I'm in this garb:

This 'dane comes up to me with a concerned look on her face and says:
"Are you a cossack?"

I looked at her and, adopting a thick Scottish brogue, said "What?  Ye think I be Russian?"

She looked at me, cocked her head, then said "whew... I thought the Russians were invading," and left.

I STILL don't know what that was all about... but it's kinda funny.

Valida

Every year before heading out to faire, I walk over to the local store to purchase any last minute necessities prior to leaving.

Two or three years ago, while standing in line in full wench garb, the clerk asked me (after staring at me and mustering her courage):

"So, are you from Little House on the Prairie or what?"

wench bodice= Laura Ingalls Wilder?  ???

Deborah

For the past few years now, I've been allowed to dress in garb at work during the Catskill Mountain Ren Fest, as I work in the local resort.  I had on an apron over my garb, my hair in a snood.

I noticed one couple staring at me through the open window in one of the rooms I was cleaning. Thinking it was the room they were going in to, I stepped to the door and told them the room would be ready in a few minutes. They walked away and I went back to cleaning the room.

A while later, I was just finishing my last room, when I noticed the same couple staring at me through THAT window. As I picked up my cleaning supplies, they walked in to the room and said "You Amish people really do know how to clean, don't you?"

All I could do was drop a curtsy and go to my linen room.

The next morning, my boss at the time told me that one of my guests complimented her for hiring that "really nice Amish lady."  ::)
If all is going well, you've obviously overlooked something!

Luciana

I have the habit of going to the store or bank before or after the faire so I earned my share of stares and comments from "Are you working to Medieval Times?" to "Are you an actress?". But my all time favorite is "Are you working for a circus?" from a little one, no more than 6 or so. I was ready to ask him how he got to that conclusion when I realized he was petting my fox pelt hanging at my belt.
The guys at the supermarket across the street from me don't bat an eye when they see me. Usually they ask what faire I'm going this time.
Funny, one time a guy asked me if I work for Hooters. I told him No and he said "You should".
Luciana
Gypsy Fur Trader
Ette,Divine Oracle

My goal in life is to be as good of a person
as my dog thinks I am.

Peddlin

On the way to VARF last Sunday morning, we stopped in garb at McDonald's for breakfast, where a young lady (of Hispanic origin) who worked there asked if we were Polish?   :o We just smiled and thanked her for allowing us visit her beautiful country.
Peddlin M'Crack
Countess of Tyrone
Ette
IWG #3790, Local 96

Dayna

"The next morning, my boss at the time told me that one of my guests complimented her for hiring that "really nice Amish lady." "

Trying to form the mental picture of an Amish woman floofing.  Owwwwwwww!!!!!!!!! :o

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Lady Christina de Pond

rofl pooor mundanes they just don't get it do they.
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari