News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

costof filling a mug

Started by Auryn, September 17, 2010, 10:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAKDUKE

When my uncle ran his bar up north, he taught me a very valuable lesson.  He said when you have someone who stands/sits at your bar drinking, if you can't or don't throw him a free one once in a while he will never come back.  I have a tankard that holds maybe a gulp more than an 8 oz plastic cup.  After about the third ale, if the beer wench, bar tender or whatever can't at least top off my tankard, to hell  with that joint and I will go a try another.  At the prices they are charging they can afford to and if they tell you they can't they sayonara.

The BLAKDUKE
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Captain Jack Wolfe

It would typically cost up to $18 to fill my leather mug depending on the beverage.  But so far I haven't spent a penny, and I like it that way.   ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Mateo1041

I had the same question before visiting the local tavern at the festival.  At the one here in MN they fill the plastic cup first and then pour that into the custom mug.  The guy ahead of me had two plastic cups poured into his mug.  They do measure, although supposedly it's only one cup per visit in line.

Auryn

Thank you all,
I've learned quite a bit.
I am one of those people that likes to go into situations as prepared as possible and now I feel like I wont act like a total dolt , which is generally a good thing  ;D
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Muffin

Quote from: Mateo1041 on September 19, 2010, 12:15:00 AM
I had the same question before visiting the local tavern at the festival.  At the one here in MN they fill the plastic cup first and then pour that into the custom mug.  The guy ahead of me had two plastic cups poured into his mug.  They do measure, although supposedly it's only one cup per visit in line.

If your mug will hold two we can sell you two beers, if your mug will hold one and a half we can still sell you two beers but you have to stand at the bar and drink what's left in the plastic cup.. Festival rules state one beer per person/per ID, which translates to one drinking vessel per person!

We count cups that is one of the reasons besides it being totally gross and against health code to pour directly from the tap into people's mugs.. So when we tell you we have to pour into a plastic cup first, we are not being mean, we are doing what we HAVE to do!

Be nice to the beer wenches!!  :-*

Blakduke, a lot of places are not allowed to just give away beer, wine or what have you, everything gets counted.. It's not people being stingy...  :-\ and for me, if people expect free beer they are the last ones to get it..

Here in MN we have all kinds of rules and regulations that must be followed.. I would like nothing more than to give all my friends free beer, but one it's not mine to give, and two it would take money away from the charities that our profits go to..
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

DragonWing

MDRF fills a plastic one and then pours it into my mug. my thought is they have to count the cups so they know what they sell.  :)
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)