News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Family Life of a Performer

Started by pirateslife4me, September 20, 2010, 12:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pirateslife4me

Hello All,

I'm a newbie here on this site. I went to the Ohio Ren. Festival on Sunday and had a great time!! I've been going to this one for the last couple of years, but this is the first year I've dressed in costume also and that made the experience that much better. I can't believe I never signed up for this forum, but after attending Sunday's festival, I just had to sign up just to learn more about the Rene world. Anyways, after going to Sunday's festival, it got me thinking about the family life of the performers. So I have some questions for the performers out there. First of all, if you have families, do you bring them on the road with you? Also, if you do, how hard is it on the family life? Would you say a majority of the performers are single or have families? How many months out of the year do you travel? I would imagine all the traveling and uprooting and instability would definitely take a toll at some point. Thoughts? Thanks, Brandon

Celtic_Fae

For the longest time, I traveled with my mother on the road, as part of a mother-daughter stage hand/performer merch sales team. I have a great many performing friends on the road, and would have to say that the answers you are seeking will be as varied as the many personalities traveling from faire to faire. I know some in relationships where their partner stays home and works a "real" job so that everyone is covered by insurance/the kids can stay in one school; I know others who are single and hold to the "any port in a storm" mentality; I know others who are single but are more exclusive in their romantic pursuits; while others have built their acts to include family or travel with family who each have their own jobs at faire (and they homeschool their kid(s)). Each family is going to have its unique ups and downs. You have your family-family and then you make another family on the road who, under the right circumstances, is no different that family you are related/in a relationship with. Many of the folks I know are booked January through November for Ren/medieval faires, and then either take December (as well as whenever they can travel home/don't have a gig lined up) for extra rehearsal/marketing/whatever time or do non-Renaissance festival performances (such as Dickens festivities).

pirateslife4me

Thanks, Kathryn!! Really interesting. Wow, I didn't realize you guys were on the road for so many months out of the year!! I have to give all of you performers credit out there. I'm sure it can be hard at times, but you wouldn't do it if it wasn't for the passion for it. And I can tell, you guys really put your heart and soul into your work and it's greatly appreciated by the patrons.