News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Stereotyped

Started by pirateslife4me, September 20, 2010, 12:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

Quote from: stonebiscuit on February 17, 2011, 12:40:32 PM
Quote from: jcbanner on January 03, 2011, 09:00:22 PM
Quote from: pirateslife4me on September 21, 2010, 08:57:53 AM
Boy, that is amazing the amount of time you guys put into your craft during the day. Really impressive!! And I'm sure your not getting rich off of it either! But, I would imagine it beats a regular 9 to 5 job!!
I'm sure there are a few people that make a living doing this, but for most I'm sure its mostly for the enjoyment.  I don't make any money at the renfaire, and the people I know who do, still have regular day jobs.

I know a number of people for whom ren faires are their primary or only job. It's not exactly a common profession, but it's not uncommon either.

A permanent booth at a large festival can cost $10K to $20K to buy so there's obviously some people making decent money at their craft. In addition to that there's the annual booth fees, and liability insurance.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

LadyStitch

It saddens me when the person who introduced me to Ren faires is ripping them to shreds and bad mouthing people I know here on the boards.  I gave given up on them ever seeing  what we do or like  as something they would understand.  Sure he comes to Ren faire's but he just don't understand them anymore.  I get more love and support from people I have never met in person than from these people I have known for 10 years.  All they see is the sterotype, and the bad publicity stories.

I get stero types thrown at me all the time (family back ground, area of birth, theater Rennies, ect.) , and frankly I don't care anymore.  If someone can't see me for who I really am, then they aren't worth my time. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Rani Zemirah

I don't even care...  I do whatever I like, and hang the rest.  There's always someone who will judge based on their own narrow vision of their ideal world, but why should I let that ruin my good time?  Oddly enough, the people who actually matter to me seem to respect and admire me more for that than not, and I know it's the same for lots of others here...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Archer

Meh.  At least one of us does not care what others may think on this topic.  The only thing that really matters is that we pursue our own highest excitement while respecting the rights of others.  Others may label things, activities, people as they wish.  Those who must issue labels are entitled as a choice and as part of the exercise of their own "free will".   Some may still care what others think.  Some have grown past having any need to allow labels to be any issue of concern whatsoever.   :P 
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

pirateslife4me

Wow, it's been a year since I first started this topic and it's still on the board!! I looked back at what I originally posted and I think I may have come across as a little harsh. I want to let everybody know that I am not a troll and I didn't start this topic to drum up trouble. In fact, I really love Renaissance festivals and I am truly fascinated with the rennie community. I've even thought about becoming one myself ;) I just went to the Ohio Renaissance Festival this past Sunday, in fact. My second time going this fall, already. And as always, I had a great time. I just thought it'd be an interesting and thought-provoking topic to discuss and I'd say that it certainly has been!  Also, I would like to say that if I have offended anybody, I truly didn't mean to. I realize that my responses may have come across as harsh, but it wasn't to offend, but rather just giving my honest opinions, even if they were blunt. Also, I'd like to tell all of you that I really have enjoyed your responses. I've learned a lot from all of you and it has made me reconsider my views. Anyways, now that I'm back on the board, I look forward to having great and lively conversations with all of you on this and other topics on this board in the near future. Thanks and take care, Brandon. (Hmm...I really need to come up with a rennie name. Maybe that'll be my next topic; Suggest a rennie name for Brandon :))

dreamwalker

Some people are simply stuck with the idea that costumes are for kiddys and halloween only. That it's child-ish or immature or just plain weird somehow. Some Danes need to get their sticks out of the mud seriously. I rather spend time with you wonderful persons that trying to win over some fuddy duddy that going to drag me down if I stay in their vicinity.

If someone has a problem with you being a Rennie and doing your thing, you remember folks it's THEIR problem not YOURS. Don't let their perceptions or issues about you become your problem. If not they will make it one. Just walk away, they are not even worth your time or effort.

Normal? What's that?

DonaCatalina

Quote from: pirateslife4me on September 20, 2011, 10:33:02 PM
Maybe that'll be my next topic; Suggest a rennie name for Brandon :))
Bloody Brody Rackham

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: DonaCatalina on November 04, 2011, 10:09:21 AM
Quote from: pirateslife4me on September 20, 2011, 10:33:02 PM
Maybe that'll be my next topic; Suggest a rennie name for Brandon :))
Bloody Brody Rackham

That's nice and wicked DC! You're good!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...